Caribou Gear

How do you celebrate a successful hunt?

If it is a critter that gets me excited I stand by it and shake like a 12 year old with buck fever. I hope that never goes away. After I get it out I like to drink beer and plan the next hunt. I find that beer makes me smarter at knowing where game will be at certain times. When the beer wears off I am right back at struggling to figure out the critters' next move.

If it is a critter that gets me excited I stand by it and shake like a 12 year old with buck fever. I hope that never goes away. After I get it out I like to drink beer and plan the next hunt. I find that beer makes me smarter at knowing where game will be at certain times. When the beer wears off I am right back at struggling to figure out the critters' next move.
LMBO!
Yes sir!
Especially if it's something I've been working at achieving!

100_0854.JPG
I had tried several times to get a double.
Shot these two about 20 seconds apart!
I was rubber kneed for 5 minutes grinning so big my face hurt!
The last one was stacked on top of the first one!

This started out as me saying I don't party with booze after hunting because it screws up my sleep pattern. I don't smoke cigars either because it's stinky, dirty, and stupid. Somehow that becomes me calling people at the bar who smoke stupid. Not what I said. Not at all. It would be stupid of me to give a small fortune to a tobacco company so it can make me sick. So I don't. I was talking about me and my choices. And then Europe came right out of left field with the PETA-ish suggestion. I mean really, just because I get a bit awed by the animal I have downed instead of tipping the bottle and joining the village whoop-up, I should stop hunting? Huh?

Ontario, This is the problem. You degrade others with your grammar. Your phrasing implies others are below you. Hopefully that isn’t your intent, but it is clearly happening. No one told you to stop hunting. You may not like the “village whoop-up,” but apparently you’re a fan of pity parties. Read the room.

I love this forum. I tell people about it all the time. Why? It is so accepting and open. People really support one another and especially the efforts to promote fair chase and public lands. It isn’t competitive, but it is honest. Come together, and don’t divide. There’s no hierarchy here.

Last edited:
This is how you are supposed to celebrate a northern Yukon hunt. I went to this bar for lunch and to do the sour toe. They said they don't get the toe out until around 2 in the morning so I had to pass.
Probably for the best anyway. I got real sick on Yukon Jack once in high school, and the toe would have likely ended up on the floor.

How do I celebrate a successful hunt where I live?

It depends, I cannot celebrate the death of a animal, that doesn’t sit well with me, I guess I sub consciously celebrate a well placed shot resulting in a swift exit from our world, but that would be it for me personally when I hunt on my own, which is often, as my success rate increases when on my own and that in turn makes the farmer happy.

But when I am guiding another hunter I will give him a celebratory hand shake, and verbal congratulations on a successful hunt, if he wants to take me for a beer thats fine with me.

Whilst I don’t celebrate the hunt, I am grateful when the funds hit my bank account from the game dealer, or when I have had a tasty venison dinner, hunted, butchered and cooked by me.

We all do things differently I believe based on where we were brought up and the traditions associated with hunting, us Brits, taken as a whole, are pretty well subdued, others are polar opposite to that, but who am I to judge, each to their own.

Guess I have harvested too many. I usually cut it's throat to let it bleed out and while waiting either eat lunch or plan the logistics for processing. Once the meat is cleaned, wrapped and hung - I have a cup of tea and go to bed. If it was a tough job, sometime we take a day off to rest up and give the stock a break. I know! Boring!

It may be the gun, the quarry or the sneak, but all of it adds to the hunt. I was taught hunting from my father that hunted all his life, and we hunted as a family tradition. When I was a kid we killed deer, but now people “harvest” deer.

We hunted because we liked to hunt, the meat was a bonus. Killing the biggest buck was not a priority, but always a hope. Celebration was the admiration a successful hunt while the rituals of others showing respect of the animal was not something we considered.

I still get excited and put in for doe tags, hoping to hunt with another old rifle or shotgun that wants to always stay in service.

751BEDFA-73E5-4108-9083-B25913972C1B.jpeg52505350-4C24-48A0-81EA-701D9A002C09.jpeg2E6AACE4-8FF5-4D6F-BF00-15E709580600.jpeg

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HaileyB
Back