How do you catch Gay Bass(Trout)?

got fish?

I know! I know!
"Why would anyone do such a pointless thing?"

I'm going fishing with my in-laws up to big lake for father's day weekend. I will be using a regular pole, none of that fly-fishing crap. I would like some hints on useful lures or baits to use and where to look for trout in general. Anyone familiar with Big lake?

For once I would like to show them that I am a decent fisherman, even if it is gay bass we're fishing for. :D
My wife's family is pretty competitve.

Thanks.

Rooster Tails, Panther Martins work great for trout up here. Yellow rooster with black spots and a Black panther with yellow have been the best for me.

Dang that was a quick response Elkhunter.
You have a "Big Lake" too? I was referring to the one here in AZ in the White mountains.

I do appreciate the info though. I'm not familiar with those lures. Where can I find pics of them?

Is it true that trout are particularly fond of red?

got fish? we do have lakes also and lots of trout in those lakes. I have never had much luck with reds, but both silver and golds worked fine also. The Rooster & Panthers are just spinner lures that you ccan probably get at Wal-Mart or most any store, I will look for a picture and post it.

Here you go got fish?

Panther Martins (any on bottom row)
p000377hz01.jpg

Rooster Tails (#110)
i110847sq01.jpg

You just hang them on the end of your pole and say "Here fishy, fishy, Here fishy fishy" and it wouldn't hurt to jiggle it every once in awhile.

Vey funny Elkhunter :rolleyes:
I think someone needs some more sleep.

Anyone with a serious answer feel free to reply.
That was pretty funny...LMAO!!! :D

That was a serious reply

OK, I always used a slow steady retrieve. Enough to spin the blades and enough to keep it up from the bottom.

GotFish

Here is the number for the Big Lake Store:
"Check with Rick Law
and his crew at the store [tackle, food, rental boats and free advice (928/521- 1387) ] for the latest."

Got it off Bob Hirsch Outdoors. Might be worth giving them a call as well.

From AZGF:

BIG LAKE — Anglers are reporting that fishing is excellent from boats and shore. Worms and Power Bait are working best from the shore and cowbells are working best from a boat. Good lures to try are Z-Rays and Panther Martin spinners. Flies such as wooly worms and peacock ladies are also effective. Due to low water levels, unloading and loading boats may be difficult so use caution.

Steve

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 06-05-2002 08:03: Message edited by: SteveM ]</font>

Try wetflies, dryflies, and nymphs. With a spinning/baitcasting setup, you'll need to do a few things differently than you would with a flyrod. With a flyrod you are actually just casting the line itself. Wetflies and nymphs are meant to be fished underwater. I've always had good luck with "wooly worms" in black and red or olive and red. Try putting enough weight on the line to cast. It is important to have as long a leader as possible, even up to 5'. Most of the time dragging a wetfly or nymph slowly along the bottom is best bet. A dryfly will float; try attaching it to a clear float (like a bobber, usually bullet shaped) on the end of a long leader. Try and find out what the "hatch" is. In other words, what type of bugs are reproducing at the time, and what the trout are feeding on. A lot of the time, they'll only eat what is most abundant. You might have an ant-like fly, but if there is a mayfly hatch the trout might not touch your fly. Trout are easily spooked, so use light line, probably no more than 4 lb. test. Small "spoons" like z-rays and super dupers work well, too.

I had problems getting them to bite just a plain spinner...
I hooked a worm on the end of it and before it got a couple few feet thru the water and wham!! I pulled a few 18 plus inch german browns from the water....To much fun.... :D

You can always drop a pea-sized ball of power bait on a 12 or 14 treble hook. Depending of the depth of the fish, use a light Dipsey or bell weight with about 18" from it to the hook. Use light to ultra-light rods and light line for sensitivity on the pick up. Otherwise, use a quarter stick of dynamte when no one is looking and . . . instant Sushi! :D :cool:

Got fish,
Just was up at big lake and fished from the shore.
Caught many on chartruse power bait with glitter in it.
Also, caught 2 german browns reeling in night crawlers with most of the worm trialing from the hook. They were only in 5' water on the shore across the lake(N) of the store.
My friends have always caught big browns on wolly worm flies behind small cow bells with an 18" leader to the fly. Troller slow and deep by the weeds/reeds.

Hope this helps.

There you go got fish?
Now go out and buy a couple of everything so you have an assortment to choose from. Also try a black feathered jig. Bounce it off the bottom on the retrieve, slow retrieve.

Once again, I can always count on you Elky-Boy to provide us with the obvious.

Seriously, What is it?
I'm referring to the lure used for fishing.
Care to supply me some pics of these "Cow bells" Elkboy? :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Got fish? Even though you have abandoned me (where is my ice cream!!!), I am here to continue teaching and instructing. Cowbells are attractors, like dodgers or a ford fender, which is used to perk up the gay bass. If you need to see them, go to http://www.michigansportsman.com/A-Tractor.html. I hope this makes to happy and sates your thirst for knowledge in this area. :rolleyes:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Openseason44
Back