How do I....

trophy_killer

Okay, a few of you know that I am really interested in backpack hunting. I already have a pack. It's not a great one, but I feel it is good enough for a beginner. It's the Alaskan 2 out of Cabelas. My question is how do I carry my gun into the back country?? Can I strap it to the pack itself, or do I have to carry it in with my hands. There is these little things that kinda look like cup holders on it, down at the very bottom on each sided and it looks like the butt of my rifle would fit right into them. Also, the side pockets aren't connected fully to the pack, they are just attached on the sides, so it looks as though I could slide my rifle down and the but would go into the little cup holder looking thing I was talking about. I can tighten it down at the bottom but at the top I can't seem to find a strap so that my gun will stay secure. If any of you know how I do it, please help me out. Thanks.

I know some of you know something, so help me please!!
biggrin.gif

TK:

Those things that look like cup holders are water bottle pockets. A one-liter water bottle fits inside just fine so you can reach it while you are hiking. The upper pocket is separated from the pack so your skis can be slipped through the "ski pocket" on each side. You probably can't get your scope through the "ski pocket".

You can strap your rifle to the backpack frame with a couple of pieces of Velcro straps. I have always worried that this is maybe not quite secure enough for comfort.

I prefer to to carry it on my shoulder and I slip the rifle's shoulder straps under the sternum strap of my backpack to make it a little more secure.

KC

KC, I'm not trying to sound like a smart ass or anything but I don't think that they are water bottle holders because they are only about 1" tall. Also I don't think that it would be used for skis since it is a hunting backpack. But what do I know, I'm only 16.
biggrin.gif

T Bone, that looks like an awesome strap to keep hold my gun in place. I may just have to get me one of those and they are pretty cheap too. Thanks!!

TK
You may recall seeing Kifaru packs at RMEF in Reno. Their packs are top notch and will on my buy list if I ever draw for sheep or goats. The good deal about the rifle carrier is that it is very accessible and quick to the shoulder.

Yeah, I remember seeing the Kifaru packs but for some reason I don't really remember seeing that. Oh well, if I buy it, I will buy it off of the internet.

TK

I have one of the Cabela's rifle carrier that Elkhunter posted. I don't use mine anymore either. You can have mine as well...its junk. Worst $20 ever. I have a rifle carrier now that is hard to beat, but that Kifaru will do you just fine if you decide not to take Elk or I up on our offer.

One thing not mentioned though is when you should and should not pack your rifle. I have zero experience hunting elk and muleys, but I can pretty well bet you can just about bump into them anywhere around the area you plan to hunt. You should be ready to shoulder your rifle at any given time if the opportunity to shoot an animal arises. You don't want to be screwing around with unstrapping your rifle from your pack when bambi jumps out at yah! Pack your rifle when your positive you won't run into any game or you have already filled your tag.

Your bag sounds like it has a built in rifle carrier. The pocket in between your main bag and side compartments is for you to slide your rifle into. I have one on my pack. I don't care for it and I'll tell you why. When my pack is full, it is a tight squeeze to get the rifle in and out. Many times I pop the lense covers off of my scope getting it in. When the pack is semi empty, there is too much give and I am afraid my scope will get knocked. If I am packing my rifle when the bag is next to empty, I tuck it away in the main compartment for better weight distribution and security.

Hope this helps!
smile.gif
vis

Bill how does yours work?? Does the bottom tighten up and where does the top little hook go?? I don't have any places on my frame that will allow me to screw it in. If you will give me a little more information I would appreciate it, thanks.
smile.gif

It goes on where the pins hold the pack to the frame. I used mine a couple of time and didn't have a problem. The reason I do not use it any more is because of having the horse now.

Get the Kifaru gun bearer. I have that and it's definately a good thing. I haven't looked at other similar products, but have been 100% happy with that Kifaru thing.

TK:

That's not a hunting pack. It's made by CampTrails and not one of their best. Cabelas just puts their name on it. Those do sound like ski pockets at the bottom you pack if they're that small.

IMHO carrying your rifle on your shoulder is the best way to do it. So you can get it when you need it.

The only time that I put my rifle inside my pack is when the climbing gets so extreme that I need both hands to make the moves.

KC

Well maybe to you it isn't a "hunting pack" but my uncle owns one and uses it every year in both California and in Wyoming and he says it works perfectly. He has enough room in it to store all of his gear for a 10 day trip, and he can also take the pack off, and use the frame to haul out meat. Again, to you it might not be a hunting pack but I think it will work just fine for what I want to do since I'm not going to spend over $500 on a pack.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back