Yeti GOBOX Collection

How did you really feel?

wall hangers

When you pulled the trigger and your personal trophy or trophys hit the ground, How did you really feel? I felt relief that I had shot my game first, then I felt a sense of accomplishment, that I had taken this fellow in his own yard. Like beating the favorite team on their home court. This day you had the best plan and it worked. I knew that people who love to hunt as I do whould appreciate this event. WH

The first time, I was elated. I danced around for days about 4 inches off of the ground. Then I started thinking. I was happy about killing something. I was celebrating death. I became very confused for a while. Then I realized that I was acting normally. Now, whenever I make a kill, the first thing I feel is humility. I am always humbled by the grace and beauty of the animals I hunt. The sheer power the they emminated. I give thanks to what ever Gods happen to be in the heavens that day for allowing me to be in that place at that time. That feeling last until I have to start skinning, gutting, and packing. Then I feel sick and I wonder why I did something this obviously stupid again.
cool.gif

------------------
Dan AZ www.huntandlodge.com

[This message has been edited by danr55 (edited 02-16-2001).]

WH,
When I pulled the trigger on that first elk, the cow, I felt joy, a sense of accomplishment and relief as well. I had went against the elk on there terms and i was the victor. Then I felt confused. I had no idea how the hell to deal with an animal of this size. How was I to get it out of here? Well there was only one thing left for me to do, sit down and have a cup of coffee and a cigarette while I pondered this. A few hours later I felt hungry and dehydrated as you are well aware of
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

------------------
Elk Hunting 101: Everything You Need To Know About Elk Hunting
www.jacksonholewyoming.net/elk

My first big muley buck was a different experience. It happened by accident. I had shot several deer in my life up to that day. 3points forkhorns spikes and such. I always wanted a biiger one and decided the fall of 88 the only way I would get a big un was to pass the small ones.

It was halloween and the season had a week left. It had been opened two weeks and I had hunted everyday. I had passed several spikes and forkies in that time. I was sitting ibn a blind that morning and at 11 am or so another hunter sat down on a stump about 20 feet in front of me and lit up a stogie. I said how s it going and the guy jumped out of his pants nearly. We talked a bit and he went on. I decided to take a stroll and hiked for about ten minutes and sat down on a stump to have a snickers bar. A few does and a nice fat 2 point walked up in front of me about 50 yards away. I decided to end my season and pulle up and shot. The shot was high and they ran off. I foolowed for about 75 yards or so and saw something moving acroos the ridge from the direction they ran. It was a huge buck. Anyway I got him. He scored 154. I jumped up and down and hollered and was so excited until I started to drag him out. He was twice the weight of any deer I had killed and it was a lot of work. I will never forget that buck. Sionce then I have killed one bigger and a few close. But I will never be as excited as I was that day.

Glad I missed that forker horn!!
smile.gif

------------------
Live to Hunt-Terry aka Coydog.
coyote4.gif

Also funny how sometimes from being really stupid a great lesson comes about. Such as not eating before going out or not bringing any water or snacks with you. My first elk was indeed a learning lesson. Thanks WH for all your help throughout the years
smile.gif

Now let's get back to the post and tell us how you felt.

------------------
Elk Hunting 101: Everything You Need To Know About Elk Hunting
www.jacksonholewyoming.net/elk

[This message has been edited by Elkhunter (edited 02-18-2001).]

The first thing I feel is a quick rush of excitment, but I never let myself get to excited untill I am standing over the animal and I know it is down for good.I always have this serious feeling walking over to to it and a slight feeling like I should feel bad.That only last a short while and then I alway's say a little prayer of thank's that it is down or a prayer that I can find it.Once I get there then I get excited ,take picture's and get to cleaning.

------------------
Debbie

The first deer that I killed, a doe, I was able to walk up on her before she died. My father and I walked up and she was bellowing. I started to cry and my dad asked me why and I said that I didn't want to hurt it, just kill it. I know that doesn't sound right, but I was only 11. Anyway, I got over the being sad and then was happy and excited. However, to this day I still feel a ting of remorse when I kill a deer. I think much of this has to do with killing something as big as you are. It is somewhat of a emotional rollercoaster, but that is one of the greatest parts of it. If that remorse ever leaves me I WILL quit hunting.

1_pointer I think this probably made you a more aware hunter because you were shown the results of your action. If you had always walked up to a dead deer it whould have the potential of just being meat.

Here is a story of a hunt gone wrong. A couple years ago I drew a limited entry hunt for muzzleloader. I had hunted inthe area a few days and was the only hunter within miles. I had seen or heard nobody in the area. It was like a dream come true. I had the opportunity to see a lot of deer each day but the country was fairly open so it was hard to get within range. The next to last day before I had to go home, I got my shot. The buck went down. I stood there a few minutes, dug out my tag, 9here is the first mistake) I leaned my empty muzzleoader against a tree and walked the 30 yards or so up to the deer. I leaned down to put the tag on him and he started kickin and trying to get up. I was on top of this poor deer, trying to stab it in the throat while he flung me all around. I stuck him a couple times and he still was alive and tryin to get up. I ran down and got my muzzleoader and walked up to him loading it. I just felt sick. I was talking to it, tellimg it I was sorry and kabloom finished him off. I felt real bad and over the nest few days consiedered giving up blackpowder. I had hit this deer thru both lungs and he didn't want to die. It was heartbreaking. But I have been muzzleoading for 18 years or so and I won't stop. But this is one time UI was real sick over killing a deer. Plus the thing kicked my arse. After getting home I had real sore ribs, wen to Doc and had xrays. I had 2 cracked ribs that hurt for months. I learned a lot of valuable lessons that day. I should of known better. I did know better than to lay down my gun and assume he was dead. Thats my embarrassing story. No, I'm far from perfect
smile.gif

------------------
Live to Hunt-Terry aka Coydog.
coyote4.gif

Guess I must be kinda strange but I've never killed a big game animal that I don't feel a little sad. I enjoy hunting but always, just for a little while, wish that the animal could get back up and run off. That's why, on a different thread a while back, I said that my choice in hunting would be a quick acting tranquilizer dart so that after I finished looking at it, the animal could live to be hunted again.

Deacon do you like to eat the meat? If you do then its harvesting a crop. There is nothing natural we eat that doesn`t die when we harvest it. Plants, animals, land or sea. If you don`t like the meat maybe try a camera.

I don't need a lecture in the good of hunting. I have no problem with killing an animal. I was just trying to say that there is an element of sadness in taking one of those magnificent animals from the population. I realize that you people in Jackson are the only REAL hunters in the state but just maybe some of the rest of us also know what we're doing. I think there's something wrong with anyone who can kill without feeling a sense of loss. It all comes down to loving the wildlife for me.

------------------
cros_anm.gif

Deacon, chill! I don`t know you from Adam and was asking questions for the purpose that they were invented, to gain some information about the intent of your post and to give a way to enjoy the outdoors if what you were saying was litteral. I don`t give lesson! Your name fooled me!

Ok wallhangers, I'm chilled. Just get a bit irritated when I perceive that someone is being condenscending. Sorry about that!

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back