How cold is too cold?

Big Sky Guy

I was hoping to have a hot tent from Springbar for the Montana rifle opener Oct. 24 but it looks like they won’t have any in stock. Planning on a 4ish night hunt Friday through Monday night.

How cold is too cold to stay in a 3-season tent (Kelty Salida 2) and a 20 degree bag? Looks like lows will be in the mid 20’s. I was thinking 30 would be about the lowest as my experience sleeping bag ratings are consistently about 10 degrees colder than what I consider comfortable. Will I be warm enough with a couple wool blankets on top of my sleeping bag?

It all depends how you sleep. If you wear longjohn's and pull the bag up over your head and pull the strings, also a good sleep pad. You will probably be ok. Also carry some hand warmers, put them in your sleeping bag.

What others have said here is spot on. It won’t be comfortable but it’s doable. I would just add that you need to make sure you don’t take any chances as far as getting wet. If you do, I would get out of there until my gear and myself were dry.

we are going to be doing the same thing as you BTW. Misery loves company :)

If you aren't actually packing camp in on your back, but are just camping, just bring half a dozen blankets. Seriously. I've slept in the back of my truck under a pile of nothing but blankets in 0-ish temperatures after a night of drinking and ling fishing and the hangover affected me more than the cold.

I’ve slept in my 15 degree bag with a puffy jacket and pants on down to ~10-15 degrees. Last year on a feb elk hunt I double bagged and put my 15 inside an old 20 degree bag and was fine at -5ish.

I use 2 sleeping pads when its cold for an R-value of > 10
and I drink hot water or soup just before turning in.
I also wear a down hood from my winter parka which is rated for -30F.

Breathing outside the bag is important as breathing in a bag results in moisture compromising insulation.

Eating a high fat meal instead of a high carb meal also helps.

As i matter of habit i always keep a wool watch cap or balaclava In my various sleeping bags. So much body heat is lost from the head, the wool helps keep my body warmer when the weather is cooler than my bag selection anticipated. I even take a wool watch cap to Africa for an unanticipated chilly night.

All those above tips are good and have worked for me. I have that same kelty tent and it is surprisingly warm. I'm cold natured and used a zero degree bag and very good pad, toasty down to 10 deg. With a 20 degree bag and in the absence of a good pad, I'd double bag if ur car camping. The nalgene or hot hands trick works well.

Thanks for all the responses!

I will add that it will be a river canoe hunting trip, so that is the other aspect if I get wet. But I can always use a fire to get warm and dry and just paddle out if I get too cold.

Just be ready for it to be a lot colder than what you expect. Last year's opening weekend was wicked cold. Lows in the mid-20's would be a heat wave in comparison.

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theghostbull
Back