How cold at your place?

Cold enough that the water lines to the washing machine in the almost detached laundry room has frozen.
The lines supplying that space come out of the basement on the north facing exterior wall, where we've had all of this bomb cyclone gusting. This is the second time in 17 years that we've had this problem. Both times it has been 40 degrees below freezing point with strong North winds.

Because I save thousands of dollars in tag fees and countless driving hours as a resident. Those 1 hr drives to my hunting spots are brutal🙄
I just not tough enough to handle that cold. I couldn’t see myself making two winters in that. If i saw negative temps past -5F, there would be a big garage sale at the Gibbons residence as we loaded the moving van.

First time I ever saw single digit Temps was duck hunting at Shearon Harris. The Tarheel state can get bitterly cold, and its a humid cold which is much worse. Then you get to play with hurricanes in the summer, oh joy. I loved living in NC, but it ain't all roses
We do occasionally get into single digits but that takes a high pressure situation where the air is drier. My Dad and I floated a blackwater river down East when it was +5 and the river was freezing over before we got to our take out requiring us to cut a sapling and break ice several times; ne'er again.

-16 and the wind seems to finally have let up, not bad. But the heat pumps keep tripping out on our geothermal unit at work so I’ve had to go reset them every couple of hours all weekend. Hopefully the repairman can get it fixed it this morning.

-16 and the wind seems to finally have let up, not bad. But the heat pumps keep tripping out on our geothermal unit at work so I’ve had to go reset them every couple of hours all weekend. Hopefully the repairman can get it fixed it this morning.
Geos........

Only good geo is a geo tracker. To be fair, given the time they came out, incentives and r&d wise (great recession), they never quite got enough uptick to really square them away imo.

Unless you have something going out in the unit-skip the below.

If the conductors are sized right, and the breaker is sized to the wire awg and/or nameplate, inquire with the electrician if the code & the electrician are okay upsizing the breaker. check into.....nec 440?.....and the overcurrent protection they (nec) permit for heat pumps.

Or, swap out to same size breaker. Current one me by pitted/cycled out.

Bread crumbs.

Good luck, stay warm

Geos........

Only good geo is a geo tracker. To be fair, given the time they came out, incentives and r&d wise (great recession), they never quite got enough uptick to really square them away imo.

Unless you have something going out in the unit-skip the below.

If the conductors are sized right, and the breaker is sized to the wire awg and/or nameplate, inquire with the electrician if the code & the electrician are okay upsizing the breaker. check into.....nec 440?.....and the overcurrent protection they (nec) permit for heat pumps.

Or, swap out to same size breaker. Current one me by pitted/cycled out.

Bread crumbs.

Good luck, stay warm
They are 6 years old. I think we have had something go wrong with them every year. I’m not impressed. I’m not sure why the architect and engineer chose to go with the geothermal route.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sscrano
Back