Caribou Gear Tarp

How big?

Technically I guess it would be when they start rutting or just before they start rutting, so it's slightly different from state to state. Though maximum horn size will probably be achieved before that because of the difference in mass versus length. As the horns grow longer the top end of the horn becomes harder and drier. So the horns will gain length and lose mass from May to September. The net difference will be a longer horn that actually scores less B&C. However, this effect can be mitigated depending on the weather, etc. In general the net outcome will probably only be about a 1 inch less of B&C score, but it can vary greatly.

Last edited:
If that was a Wyo buck, I would guess he had no or little growth left in his horns. While they grow through the winter, spring and early summer, the sheaths have noticeable hair up and along the sides. As the horns "finish out" the hair recedes and they look like this buck; no hair growing up the horn itself.

Based upon past bucks I have followed from May to Sept, I see no apparent horn growth after June. Most bucks I saw today are still exhibiting hair up their horns in various stages. It's looking to be a good growth year for pronghorn.

On a side note I'm down to my last package of antelope steaks. I've been conserving but I can't open the freezer more than about twice before I find an excuse to pull out some kind of antelope meat treat.

and I'll give that guy a low to mid 70s score

I'm no expert, but after looking at 2-300 during a week of hunting I can recognize when one's a toad real quick. Unfortunately I've usually shot something before I see that big one.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sept7872
Back