Caribou Gear

House Passes Gun Legislation

The bottom line should be: will this have a significant effect on violent gun crimes?

Are there any stats out there showing what percentage of violent gun crimes are committed with guns that were legally purchased under the "loopholes" being closed by this bill? I assume they exist, but have they been publicized/consulted in relation to this bill?
Don't assume they exist. Tracking a firearm, even for law enforcement is very difficult. There have been surveys done of people serving time in prison for an offense committed with a firearm. The % I think you are asking for is very low, like <5%. But it is a nuanced question. Are you asking if the firearm was purchased through legal means or if the person possessing the firearm is legally allowed to hold it?

The bottom line should be: will this have a significant effect on violent gun crimes?

Are there any stats out there showing what percentage of violent gun crimes are committed with guns that were legally purchased under the "loopholes" being closed by this bill? I assume they exist, but have they been publicized/consulted in relation to this bill?

I've seen studies that indicate both, so I think it's debatable as to whether or not they can be directly linked to gun violence, but there are other issues at play as well such as felons purchasing firearms, illegal immigrants, gang members, etc. A lot of these guns that are either straw purchases or through loopholes, etc, end up on the black market in different states, so tracking a gun from a specific sale and associating it to a specific crime is going to be impossible with the interstate trafficking of firearms. I support the idea of making it harder for bad guys to get guns, but not in making it harder for law abiding citizens to purchase them.

The days of guys with collections of guns, showing them off and making an occasional trade are over. Most folks at shows are dealers, and they should be following the law. In the states that have passed gunshow loophole bills, I'm not aware of shows being stopped.

But, if we're going to require this nationally, then there has to be corresponding increases in funding for background check agencies to do the work. Otherwise we just create more problems for everyone except the bad guys.

I've seen studies that indicate both, so I think it's debatable as to whether or not they can be directly linked to gun violence, but there are other issues at play as well such as felons purchasing firearms, illegal immigrants, gang members, etc. A lot of these guns that are either straw purchases or through loopholes, etc, end up on the black market in different states, so tracking a gun from a specific sale and associating it to a specific crime is going to be impossible with the interstate trafficking of firearms. I support the idea of making it harder for bad guys to get guns, but not in making it harder for law abiding citizens to purchase them.

The days of guys with collections of guns, showing them off and making an occasional trade are over. Most folks at shows are dealers, and they should be following the law. In the states that have passed gunshow loophole bills, I'm not aware of shows being stopped.

But, if we're going to require this nationally, then there has to be corresponding increases in funding for background check agencies to do the work. Otherwise we just create more problems for everyone except the bad guys.

not yet they aren't

This is just the tip, I don’t think it’ll pass but when the Democrats kick the Republicans ass in the midterms I’m sure they will try it again.

Elections have consequences, biden is going to be great for public lands though.

I appreciate the tone and tenor of this post (so far). Before things go sideways, I think it's important to point out a few things:

1) The House is gonna do what the House is gonna do. It's all for show and donors (mostly)
2) The Senate is evenly split and thus Gun Control measures are unpassable unless they kill the filibuster
3) Joe Manchin will not allow the filibuster to be killed

Based on these three points, no GC legislation will pass for the next two years (for sure), and probably the next 4 are safe.

By all means, keep buying every gun, cartridge, bullet, brass, primer, and pound of powder on the shelf, it's good for the industry, the economy, and the country.
I wish I had as much faith in your assumptions as you proclaim !
“GC measures are impassable unless they kill the filibuster”.
If only one man is standing in the way of that happening, that is a damn thin line of defense. With the control that the present party has, and the total power they desire, I have no doubt they will take whatever measures are needed to end that filibuster. Gun extinction is that important to this bunch ! With the 2A being of such importance to so many people, I wish someone could explain to me just how in hell this guy got 81,000,000 people to vote for him !

Where to start?
🤔?
Let's begin by repealing the "GCA '34" and repeat the same process with every gun law on the book to present day.

Seems like a simple solution to me.

OHH, Canada's system may "look" simple and "seem" easy, but make no mistake, Monsieur Trudeau has much more detailed plans for your firearms.
...and it don't involve you giving them to your grandkids! 😉😜

"... Bowhunter999 said:
I wish someone could explain to me just how in hell this guy got 81,000,000 people to vote for him ! ..."

...errr, he didn't get that many "votes", he got that many "ballots"(?)!
Ballots with Biden only votes and no down ballot votes?
Machines that counted a (D) vote as 115% of a vote and a (R) vote as 85% of a vote?
(why else would vote totals contain decimal points? a vote is a vote!)
Big difference!

If you view it as 81,000,000 people voting against someone else, it makes more sense.
I would agree with you Wildabeast, if it was a case of voting against someone else. However, in this instance it was a vote in favor of a much opposing agenda, and who was the leader of that agenda is rather insignificant ! The really sad part of this election and what will now govern all of us, is that it pertained to really only one important factor, that being COVID 19. One of biden’s own staff made the comment that COVID was the luckiest thing that ever happened to biden ! The virus will be much less of a factor in coming months, the affects of it as a result of the D’s agenda, will be with us for years, and I would say that is a bad trade off.

May not be directly connected but every little thing that mentions gun control sends the hoarders out to the local supply.
Stopped in on the way through and as I had figured, not a box on the shelf. Its already worse than 2014. My thought.
While everyone is concentrating on gun control, "they" are under the radar, deleting the supply.

I wish I had as much faith in your assumptions as you proclaim !
“GC measures are impassable unless they kill the filibuster”.
If only one man is standing in the way of that happening, that is a damn thin line of defense. With the control that the present party has, and the total power they desire, I have no doubt they will take whatever measures are needed to end that filibuster. Gun extinction is that important to this bunch ! With the 2A being of such importance to so many people, I wish someone could explain to me just how in hell this guy got 81,000,000 people to vote for him !
Well, I’m glad I have faith too. While I’ve never been seen as the smartest guy in the room, I do have a mastery of basic arithmetic.

it’s not one guy, he was merely an example. There are multiple Senators from the left or Independent who will not vote for GC.

As for the 81MM that voted for Joe, I’d argue that 30MM didn’t vote for him. Rather they voted against DT.

If the Party of Lincoln would run a candidate who wasn’t an a$$hole, I don’t think it would be a contest.

if the party keeps sending MAGA/Q candidates, then I’m looking for the next Bull Moose Party.

"... Bowhunter999 said:
I wish someone could explain to me just how in hell this guy got 81,000,000 people to vote for him ! ..."

...errr, he didn't get that many "votes", he got that many "ballots"(?)!
Ballots with Biden only votes and no down ballot votes?
Machines that counted a (D) vote as 115% of a vote and a (R) vote as 85% of a vote?
(why else would vote totals contain decimal points? a vote is a vote!)
Big difference!
Don’t worry. The military seized the Dominion servers in Europe, or so I was told.

Here's HR 8, the background check bill: https://www.congress.gov/bill/117th-congress/house-bill/8/text?q={"search":["hr+8"]}&r=1&s=1

HR 1446: https://www.congress.gov/bill/117th-congress/house-bill/1446/text?r=5&s=1

I don't like 1446, personally. I'd rather we put resources into NICS than extend the 3 day period to 10. That doesn't do anything but clog the sytstem up more, and I don't think it does anything to make us safer.

HR 8 seems to have split the hair fairly well on background checks. Family & Friends are exempt, as are transactions in good faith. It's really about the commerce side of the issue. I may have missed the big boogey man in there, but closing the gunshow loophole does make sense to me.
Yeah, I can't disagree with you on the loophole. Let's hope this is all there will be.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back