Caribou Gear Tarp

Hot weather elk

Rooster52

My son is in Colorado chasing elk with the bow. He said it has been real warm so far. If it does not cool the temperature down,I will be rifle hunting in October only ,no archery. Hate hunting in hot weather.Done it and don't like it !
Weather can change quick.

Last edited:
If your son hasn't done it before, tell him to find a cloudy wallow that's being used and sit it from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m.

I have found that elk don't move around as much in the heat, but like Lv2hnt said, if you can find a wallow or a watering source, I think your odds can actually increase in this hot weather. They need to cool down. It just takes some patience on a wallow or really cool creek bed.

Talked to my son this morning. He found a good wallow and is setting on it right now. Hope he sees a bull .This will be his first elk.

Rooster, you'd be out of your mind not to archery hunt on your Wy tag

last 10 days of September I will be there. hope the high temps has past by then.

I guarantee the last week of Sept you'll wake up to 20-25 degree temps,50-70* day time.When the sun sets over those mountains the temps drop quick!!!!The first real cold nights seem to light the bulls up and they'll keep you up at night.wish I had that general elk tag,but I'll settle for Alaskan moose this Sept

Southern Colorado weather

South Central Colorado has been about average in temps. but way above average in rain. It rains every afternoon lately. Not only is it miserable to hunt in, I don't want to arrow an Elk and have a blood trail wash out.
I'm hunting over an active wallow. Besides the tracks and smell of it, I put our trail camera on it. Set on video mode, I watched a Bull actually rolling in the wallow, and he gets up and bugles!
As far as water goes, in this area, Elk can drink about anywhere, as there are lots of Springs still flowing in the forest.
I gave the hunt a day off today, but will be at it again tomorrow! That Bull came 2 days in a row between 7:30 & 8am, but on Wed. when I hunted it of course he didn't show. I'll be curious what the camera has on it tomorrow!

My boy got into elk today,had elk around him in thick heavy timber but could not connect.Back again tomorrow.

I wish it was hotter, sat on a nice wallow the other day for hours, but no dice. They started bugle'in late (9pm) and didn't stop until 8am. Chased a group for a while, and got close enough to smell them, but could close the distance in the thick timber. Im guessing the late activity and not hitting the wallow is because of the full moon and late activity.

The heat seem to get them bedded up early as well.The best elk hunting starts when theres ice forming on the water puddles overnight.At least from what I've noticed everywhere I've archery hunted them.Full moon didn't mean as much as the cold staying around till a little later in the morning.When I'd see my thermometer at 25* or lower when I woke up,I would know its going to be a great morning.Never had any afternoon luck hunting elk in any kind of heat.Only early when it was still cold before the sun rose up over the mountains,around 9:30-10

My best hunting has been first hour of daylight in the morning and last hour at evening.Once in Colorado ,had them bugleing all night not far from camp and as soon as it got close to morning they would shut up and say nothing all day long.

Sons elk hunt is done.On there way back to Michigan.No elk. That's elk hunting.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back