Hot Tenting for Mid-Season Elk Hunts?

matechakeric

Talking about October elk hunts in CO, WY, and ID. Is a hot tent overkill? I know it will be additional weight but I'm wondering if it would be better to go the hot tent route or the regular tent + 0 degree mummy bag and liner.

I think the easy answer would be hot tents if talking late season elk hunts but mid-season is kind of on that barrier in my mind

Expect any kind of weather during October, including temps well below zero. Therefore, a hot tent can be the difference between enduring the suck weather and having a good hunt or having to call your hunt early…

Are you backpacking or truck camping? Can’t image you care about extra weight if kicking it out of the truck. If you have any significant weather the hot tent is is a game changer. Otherwise, especially if multiple days of wet/cold it’ll make for a not so fun hunt.

I don't think its overkill. Even in October nights get cold and the stove sure makes it a lot more enjoyable. Especially in the mornings.

Are you backpacking or truck camping? Can’t image you care about extra weight if kicking it out of the truck. If you have any significant weather the hot tent is is a game changer. Otherwise, especially if multiple days of wet/cold it’ll make for a not so fun hunt.
Trunk camping day hunts would be preference but may also backpack hunt to escape crowds.

We will have three hunters so we won't be adding a ton of extra weight individually with the stove

Trunk camping day hunts would be preference but may also backpack hunt to escape crowds.

We will have three hunters so we won't be adding a ton of extra weight individually with the stove
I would absolutely do it. Worst case scenario your stove stays in the truck because you don't need it, but if you end up with some suck weather it sure is nice. I like mine more for rain than snow, getting rained on, day after day, after day gets old. If you don't have an opportunity to dry out life can really suck. A lot of time mine gets throw in and not used but I'm glad it's there!

Drew and Third.jpg

Ok now you got me thinking....I was checking out Lux Hunting Gear, anyone have experience with their tents and stoves? Look decent at a good price??

I used mine in 2019 for an Oct 24-28 ( or somewhere around there) muzzy hunt for elk in NM ( Unit 9). Jimmy Tarps Hudson with a Light Outdoors stove. Granted I am getting a little softer than I was 5-10 years ago but man was it nice getting dressed in a warm area and having the boots be warm as well. Not too mention warming tortilla on top before pouring some MH into them. I can't remember the temps but it got down into the lower 20's and we got 3-4 inches of snow the last few days. the Lite Outdoors stove I have 18" is 2 pounds 9 oz with the stove pipe. Pretty light. Rolls up to nothing.

I would use it if it were me.

Ok now you got me thinking....I was checking out Lux Hunting Gear, anyone have experience with their tents and stoves? Look decent at a good price??
Got my lux tent (minipeak xl) last year. Hunting partner got the same with the stove. We both liked them. I got me, my wife and the dog in ours over the summer. Held up well in the one rain/wind storm we had. Plus passed the hose test in the yard before we went. Partner liked the stove but we didn't have much use for it during the hunt. Maybe not the best quality, but hard to beat for the price I think. Just can't be careless with it, like most tents I guess. Time will tell but I'd say it's worth a try if you're considering

If you have it, use it. That stuff costs too much to rust in the garage. It might make you keep camp in one place a few days rather than roam freely but Cold kills motivation quicker than anything.

I have the megapeak 4p and the 3w stove. Tent is a little heavy but if splitting the weight with someone else it's not a big deal. I agree with the sentiment that it's not a high end tent but hard to beat for the money. As for the stove I love the see through door. Not only for monitoring the fire without having to open it, but there's just something awesome about watching a fire and having that glow inside the tent while you're miles from a road.

I'd for sure have the stove in the truck, good weather you might not need it but the last two years I've had early/mid-October hunts where it snowed every single day and was in the 0 to -10 range, having a stove turned those from miserable suffer-fest into enjoyable and productive trips.

Just a heads up. I ordered the stove from lux hiking gear because it was on sale and said it was in stock. It’s been over two weeks and I have not got it and as far as I know it hasn’t shipped. I can’t get any response from the company on why. I’m guessing they said they had it but actually don’t.vI know the Covid has everything screwed up but I’d still like to know when it will ship…or be in stock. The customer service sucks from my limited experience with them.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info I haven't ordered yet, looks like they do 2 day shipping bit apparently that is not the case. Maybe I'll wait, can you post when you get it and give a review??

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back