Hot Tenting for Mid-Season Elk Hunts?

I spent 29 days last fall in a wall tent between Oct 1 and Thanksgiving. Once in a lifetime year with five hunts in total in WY, MT, and CO for elk, deer, and antelope. If I'm sincere, probably 10 more days than I'm rugged enough to prefer in hindsight. Ran the wood stove every night but two and those weren't by choice.

Making one change to the chimney for this year that I'd recommend you consider if you're using wood for heat. When you get your chimney stack, attach some eyelets to it, a foot or so of light cable to the eyelets, and another eyelet to the other side of the cable. Use this to tie the stack down to tent posts. Wind blew 50+ one night in Wyoming and 40+ in southwest Montana. Didn't dare light the stove because of concern we'd lose the stack in the wind before we had tie downs.

Heat is a welcome blessing to dry clothing, boots, and anything else that gets wet. Boots near the heater on the ground are just warm enough that I get them completely tightened the first time instead of after my feet warm them up on the trail.

If you have room, bring the heat.

By the way, after 29 out of 55 days in a tent for one year, I have a new respect for what the Fresh Tracks crew does every year.

I have the Luxe Megahorn and 3w stove. I got it for its price point to try out hot tenting. So far I have around 15 nights in it down to single digits and good amounts of snow. It’s roomy for one person and a stove, I could see two and a stove working but it would be a bit tighter.

For two guys hiking in and splitting the weight I could see it working, but for truck camping I want something taller with a larger footprint. I’m looking at other options for my hunt this year.

Whatever you get, spend some nights in it before your hunt as there is a learning curve involved. Also don’t expect the stove to burn all night unless you add wood every so often. Also another thing to consider is the fact you’ll need to gather wood every day or every other day and have a way to break it down to fit into the stove.

I’m seriously considering the Davis go tent over another teepee for truck camping and getting a small one man teepee for backpacking.

Attachments

• 6E83148B-02BF-4839-B669-347B9497AFCB.jpeg
    6E83148B-02BF-4839-B669-347B9497AFCB.jpeg
    6 MB · Views: 24
  • E266F210-374A-403C-91CD-AAC379BBD7C2.jpeg
    E266F210-374A-403C-91CD-AAC379BBD7C2.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 24
Thanks for the info I haven't ordered yet, looks like they do 2 day shipping bit apparently that is not the case. Maybe I'll wait, can you post when you get it and give a review??

Was looking hard at the LUX tent and stove, until I got to the fine print. NO RETURN if opened! So if you open it and find something wrong or it won't work for you you are screwed. Also have heard horror stories from a couple buddies about customer service.

With that said I have 2 friends who have the stove and tent and love them.

We decided to go SeekOutside Redcliff and the U turn stove. Will be taking it on our archery hunts mid to end of September. As mentioned having the stove to dry out is HUGE! even if you don't need the heat being able to dry out is a game changer.

Was looking hard at the LUX tent and stove, until I got to the fine print. NO RETURN if opened! So if you open it and find something wrong or it won't work for you you are screwed. Also have heard horror stories from a couple buddies about customer service.

With that said I have 2 friends who have the stove and tent and love them.

We decided to go SeekOutside Redcliff and the U turn stove. Will be taking it on our archery hunts mid to end of September. As mentioned having the stove to dry out is HUGE! even if you don't need the heat being able to dry out is a game changer.
I still have not received my stove I bought almost a month ago from Lux. Their customer service is horrible…I cannot get a response from them!I reported it to PayPal to try and get my money back. I’ll never deal with LuxHiking gear again.

Ok sorry you are dealing with that ;
BS I won't be going with the Lux and I think I'm leaning towards the Redcliff from Seek. Hope it all works out for ya, thinks for the update.

Man I'm so torn on this, review on Luxe ranging from "best company ever" to "these guys dont even exist".

Might be worth the extra money to just go with a bit more reliable of a company.
I would..I sent emails and tried calling and all I got was one email that just said they ship within three days of the order. Four weeks later…still nothing.
It’s been five weeks since I made the order. I can understand a shipping delay…but damn…let a fella know what’s going on.

I got lucky with mine but yeah I would probably look at Pomoly. I’ve decided to sell my Luxe and get a smaller one man teepee and a wall tent instead.

I got my stove today. I got an email yesterday saying it was shipped, and it was sitting on my porch this afternoon. It was actually shipped last week according to the tracking number I got off the package. Other than the customer service issues it looks to be a good product. Nicely packed in a little bag that’s well made. So if you can deal with dropping 250$ and just waiting around for a month or so it might be worth it.

I got my stove today. I got an email yesterday saying it was shipped, and it was sitting on my porch this afternoon. It was actually shipped last week according to the tracking number I got off the package. Other than the customer service issues it looks to be a good product. Nicely packed in a little bag that’s well made. So if you can deal with dropping 250$ and just waiting around for a month or so it might be worth it.
One of those foam water noodles makes rolling the stove pipe easy for the burn in.

Also take care not to lose the top nuts for the legs, I lost one in tall grass and had to rig up a replacement.

One of those foam water noodles makes rolling the stove pipe easy for the burn in.

Also take care not to lose the top nuts for the legs, I lost one in tall grass and had to rig up a replacement.
I’ve already dropped one in the kitchen and had to get the wife and daughter to find it! I’m gonna see if I can find some high temp paint in a bright color to make those easier to see. Thanks for the pool noodle tip..

How big of tent does that luxe stove heat up? Would it do a 10x10 wall tent ? Or anyone have recommendations for a backpacking stove and stove for a 10x10 wall tent ?

Go SO with a stove! Btw, this thread title be clickbait for @wllm1313. Brave yourselves for taunts and/or graphs
804416EE-142B-412E-9F50-4A1500DEBC3E.jpeg

How big of tent does that luxe stove heat up? Would it do a 10x10 wall tent ? Or anyone have recommendations for a backpacking stove and stove for a 10x10 wall tent ?
Hard to say with a 10 x 10 wall tent. I run this Luxe stove in a HexPeak XL tepee (nominally 3-person but more like 2) when I solo hunt and I can get that tent to 85 deg F easily with outside temps in the low single digits. My tent footprint (inside) is probably 9 x 7 but the volume is a lot less, maybe 20%? I know this same stove can be used effectively in their Octopeak tepee which is a 10 x 10 footprint and maybe half the volume of what you have. I haven't run that setup personally so can only guess as to how effective it is in that scenario. But, it is very packable.

Hard to say with a 10 x 10 wall tent. I run this Luxe stove in a HexPeak XL tepee (nominally 3-person but more like 2) when I solo hunt and I can get that tent to 85 deg F easily with outside temps in the low single digits. My tent footprint (inside) is probably 9 x 7 but the volume is a lot less, maybe 20%? I know this same stove can be used effectively in their Octopeak tepee which is a 10 x 10 footprint and maybe half the volume of what you have. I haven't run that setup personally so can only guess as to how effective it is in that scenario. But, it is very packable.
Yeah , I have the octopeak right now . Thats kinda why I want a dual purpose stove - one for the octopeak incase I haul off and decide to sleep in the back country , or one for a base camp . 2 stoves would just be another thing to store.

I know it will be additional weight but I'm wondering if it would be better to go the hot tent route or the regular tent + 0 degree mummy bag and liner.

It's not overkill, but you still need a bag with the same comfort rating as you would without the stove. Its really there for comfort while you're awake and drying out gear. You'll need to stoke it every hour or 2 depending on the size of your stove, but it sure is nice getting into a warm bag at night and firing it up again first thing in the morning to get ready in a warm tent.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back