Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Horses on not?... AZ 22n late archery.

SHEDZILLA

This hunt is fast approaching for me, and im really torn on whether to trailer my horses 20+ hours, and ride in and hunt the north end of the wilderness several miles deep. Or skip the horses this time and hunt under the rim and or little diamond rim area like alot of the other tag holders probably will.
Any thoughts on this? glass the country under the rim... or get into the wilderness on horses.

You will have much less company in the Mazatzal than you will under the Mogollon or on the Diamond. Diamond Rim would be my second choice if you don't want to deal with the horses.

Mazatzal is your best bet. Most people will road hunt or not venture too far in close to the rim. It's back breaking country the closer you get and most are too lazy to get in there. Stay far away from the control road or any other forest service roads.

Hunt the Mazatzal Wilderness. i had the tag last year and and there were people crossing over each other the whole time i was up there. It was ridiculously busy up there. I have the archery tag this year same unit and Im not going anywhere near Diamond Point. Also a lot of guys told me last year that the elk were holding tight to the base of the rim so make sure to stay up as high as you can. There is now some snow falling up on the rim its self so hopefully it will create a push to bring some off the top. As far as horses go its always more beneficial to get in as far as you can away from the road hunters whether it be on horses feet or your own.

Horse are a lot of work. Are you looking to shoot a representative critter or holding out for a large critter? If a large critter is your goal, the horses will make the journey easier to get away from the crowd.

Can you take just one!?
Panyards and yer set - no clue where you are going
But 'smoke em if ya got em'!
Do it up I guess is what I'm sayin!
Good
Luck

Thanks for the advice guys. I guess the horses are the way to go. And an average 5pt raghorn
would be plenty good enough for me to release an arrow on this hunt. Of course a big nasty dark horned 330 would be amazing, but I know this is a tough hunt. Any others tips are greatly appreciated

Back