Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Horses: Backcountry trip

Sytes

How do you go about feed?

I plan to mix beet and alfalfa pellets - soak and feed. Been feeding them a mix of this sort for the past week with their usual hay. Only out for 4-5 days and that works for a 50# bag of each for the 2 horses. Looking at 1-1.5% weight per day. Question regarding soaking... Is the weight based on raw pellet weight or soaked?

If graze is available, I've not worked hobbles enough with them (hopefully ready before hunt) so looking at temp wire pasture with high line or if pecker poles present, wire corral.

How do you go about your feed settings?

Feed just alfalfa pellets when needed.
2 in the hot fence and 2 out.
Switch them the next day

We graze the grass available in the forest and pack a fence charger, white tape, and fiberglass poles. Have used hobbles and/or a cow bell around the leader or trouble maker's neck.
Good luck!

Hoping graze will be available though packing in the mentioned, just in case.

Anyone know if I go by the dry weight of the pellets for the % of body weight measurement - or wet weight? I think it is dry though have not found the "google" answers.

we feed 5- 10# cubes/day /animal (not soaked) depending on available graze and workload. When we get to camp and the stock has cooled down, had a drink, the Horses are hobbled, one wears a bell, the mules follow along and the stock is allowed to graze for whatever time period we set then are put on the highline and fed. Keeps them looking forward to highline.

My Son in law is out right now on a 7 day ride , the boys took some wire for a small area for the night . It sounds like they just plan on grazing along the trail on the trip .
Wish I could of went but just had Open Heart Surgery. Maybe next year !!
Good luck and injoy your trip .

Thanks for the info everyone.

We're heading out tomorrow, Bob Marshall area. I keep putting it off to work with them further, hotwire, panniers, etc... Keep telling myself at some point just have to, "pull the trigger". This will be a short 8 mile fishing trip, if that... Find the flaws... Hope they stay small.

After chatting w/FS personnel, they say the graze is pretty good. Though tough year with the skeeters and flies...

Glad your surgery went well, Perchman - you'll be back soon enough.

El Unit, sent you a pm.

Didn't pan out for horses, this trip. Electrical issue with trailer lights the morning set to load and go... Another day.

The view was great! Fishing was great! The hike was an ass kicker...
IMG_20180728_092303.jpg

we feed 5- 10# cubes/day /animal (not soaked) depending on available graze and workload. When we get to camp and the stock has cooled down, had a drink, the Horses are hobbled, one wears a bell, the mules follow along and the stock is allowed to graze for whatever time period we set then are put on the highline and fed. Keeps them looking forward to highline.

This was always my method of choice as well.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rifleman270
Back