Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Hornady Superformance: Interesting observaton

Sabot

So, I'm leaning hard toward making a solo elk hunt in CO, 2nd rifle this year. I know that my .270 is plenty of rifle for the job, but I'm always looking for a little edge. I got to poking around on Hornady's site comparing bullet energy at 300, 400,and 500, and it appears that the 130 gr Superformance from a 24" barrel has very close down range energy numbers as their 139 gr 7mm Mag full boar ammo! (both use GMX projectiles)

So my thinking is that my 270 using Superformance ammo is just as hard hitting as a 7mm MAG at 300, 400, 500. The 270 gets 90 more FPS. The numbers aren't exact, but within 65 ft/lbs at each distance.

Am I missing something?

Won't affect my decision in any way, just found it curious.

I don't think you will be sending any 175 grain bullets from the .270 like you would from the 7mm Mag. That's like comparing apples to oranges because the 139 grain bullets are not the optimum bullet weight in the 7mm Mag.
I believe the 160 grain bullet is the optimum in the 7mm Mag.

Last edited:
I completely agree. If I was hunting an elk with a 7mm, I probably wouldn't shoot a 139. It was just a good reminder to me that the bullet doesn't know what size bore launched. Mass and energy are what they are.

My main goal is to get maximum performance out of the 130 grains I'm launching.

In certain comparisons, a 270 can compete with a 7mm. In other comparisons, not so much.

In most hunting situations, I doubt the hunter or the hunted can tell a difference.

If your rifle likes the superformance, a little extra velocity never hurts. None of my tests have proved the ammo accurate though.

I used to run it through my .30/06. Killed an elk and lots of deer/pigs with it. My rifle shoots Core-locts better though, so I switched back.

The 270 will get the job done. Just pick your shot and put it in the vitals. A 130 grain 270 or a 175 7mm through the lungs will have the same result. Which ever load you use accuracy is the deciding factor "IMHO"
Dan

So I thought I would update this post. I went to the range and chrono'd my superformace ammo along with my hand loads and some winchester CPX2 factory ammo.

The Superformance GMX clocked in at 3130 avg (The box says 3200, so not too bad)
The Superfromance SST was around 3080 avg
My CPX ammo was 3025
Hand loads (Barnes Triple Shock) 2880 avg

The gun really likes my hand loads for accuracy, and according to the Hornady calculator, I am only gaining about 100-150 ft lbs of energy with the addition of the 250 fps to the superformace GMX (which suprised me), so I'm really thinking I'll stick with my hand loads and keep my shots to a max of 400 yards.

Have tried other powders in the Barnes load? You might be able to pick up a few fps and the accuracy.
Dan

I've shot two elk, two antelope and a mule deer one season with .270 Superformance GMX 130grs. Pencil holes through all animals, no blood trails with extended runs (over 50 yards) for the elk and deer. Never again.

The old reliable!

Once I didn't have a chance to reload as my work was overwhelming and hunting season was almost at hand. Mentioned it to a relative of mine and he suggested just go out and buy a box of Remington Core-Lokt. Took them out to the range and found they shot as good as my handloads and were very accurate !
Two years ago was able to put down a large 5 point bull elk at 400 yards with 270 130 grain Core-Lokts - luckily it was a heart shot and he dropped on the spot.
Did some reading about Jack O'Connor and found out that the 130 grain Core-Lokts were his favored ammunition in his reliable 270. Like other members have stated, shot placement is key.
Wish you the best this coming season in the high country. Am also anxious to get up there 3rd and 4th seasons - hoping some snow might happen.

I have used factory Core-Lokt ammo in .270 and 7mm mag since the early 80's and have found them to be very accurate in my rifles and have never had a failure or lost an animal. They have taken 1 big bull and 2 cow elk out to 376 yards, 4 antelope the farthest just over 400 yard, and countless deer at ranges from about 50 yards to just over 400 yards. They are tough to beat for factory ammo and very reasonably priced.

Hard to find fault with Remington core lok 150 grain for the 270.My brother has done real well with them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tmich05
Back