Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Hornady SST Bullets

WDSWIFT

Have any of you guys tried any of these yet?
Was curious to hear if anyone has any accuracy or performance on game experience with these. WD.

WDSift, That's a new one on me. Is that Hornady's equivelent to the ballistic tip or what?
cool.gif

------------------
Dan AZ www.huntandlodge.com

Danr, Yeah it must be new, the first that I heard of 'em was last fall, now I see they are advertised on several of the reloading sites.
They are called SST (super shock tipped) from what the ads say it sounds like a hybrid between the Ballistic tip and the Partition. It shows a Polycarb tip, boat tail, interlocked jacket and core, and around $18-$20 per hundred. Just wondering if any one else had tried them?WD.
smile.gif
smile.gif

[This message has been edited by WDSWIFT (edited 02-04-2001).]

Since I like Hornady bullets, I bought a box of them to try in my .308. I don't know how they perform on game (I suspect very similar to a Ballistic Tip) but I do know that it is the most accurate 165 grain hunting bullet for my rifle.

I've tried three other styles of 165 grain bullets, the most accurate so far being the Speer Hot Cor. They 3 shot group about 3/4" at 100 yards, 2730 fps.

The same load with the SSTs gets me consistent 1/2" groups, 2755 fps. Hopefully, I'll find out how they do on deer and pronghorn this fall. I'm pleased with how well they shoot paper, anyway.

Given the similarity in prices, I think I'll stick with the Ballistic Tips. I've used them for years and never had one fail. Besides, I get a great deal on them.
cool.gif

------------------
Dan AZ www.huntandlodge.com

Back