Hornady Interlock Bullets?

OntarioHunter

I just ordered a couple boxes of boat-tail 30 calibre Hornady Interlock in 165 gr for my 30-06. No experience with them but it's all that was available in that calibre and weight on line up here in Canada. I would have preferred Nosler Partitions as that's what my gun is set for right now but absolutely none to be had. I have about a dozen of Nosler loads left and that should be enough to get me through rechecking the zero when I get to Montana and shooting another deer and maybe an elk. But if there's any problems at the range, I want to have some more loaded up. If these new bullets don't work out at the range I can sell the second box to the local gun store at cost and shipping. They only have one box of 30 cal @ 150 gr plain jane lead soft point which is just too light for elk.

Anyone have experience with these bullets? Because they were actually available when nothing else is, I'm a bit nervous they may have a bad reputation. Hope not. Thanks.

Last edited:
Can't speak for the 165G .30 caliber, but I use the Hornady Interlock 140 GR bullets (factory ammo) in my .270 Win and they have worked great on mule deer, whitetails and antelope. They also group well at the range.

A guy just listed a bunch of 308 bullets for sale in the classifieds. Some 180 partitions.

Should do just fine. I generally don't like standard cup and core bullets when they're going fast (say out of a RUM or even light ones in a WinMag) but in a 30-06 I think they will do just great. Lots of animals killed with 165s and the venerable 30-06 and I'd wager many more to come. I used that bullet style in my 7RemMag before I discovered Nosler Factory seconds...killed many deer with them but never got a chance to shoot elk

Back to the issue of what your gun likes. I like cup and core bullets- big and slower. That likely has a lot of influence by barrel twist and powder burn rate.

I like 180s in 06 and 175 in a 7 RM. Over 50 elk tell me I can depend on them. I don't shoot over 300 yds much but have killed out past 600 with decent accuracy.

But --- I found some bullets have very differant results under differant conditions. I tried ELD-X 175s with my tried and true loads. Extremely accurate at 50 yards but at 100 yds had a spread of 8 inches plus. I pitched then.

For a number of years, I shot Sierra Game King 175 boat tails. All of a sudden they wouldn't hold together where they used to.

I remember a big push for Speer 162 boattails in the 80s. They had a preferred match to the 7RM but I didn't like the performance to the Sierras.

In my view, the time and cost to test out a bullet to match your rifle and powder implores you to take the time and test accuracy at varying distances. Performance in meat at various speeds with powders takes a while. I like to load up a couple hundred at a setting for consistancy can be discouraging and expensive when you have to pull the bullets and pitch them. On the other end, when you have found something you and your rifle really like and the company stops making them is equally depressing.

I urge you to do your research and buy powder in lots with multiple lbs., bullets in boxes of 6-10 at a time, primers by the case and keep at least a couple hundred loaded at any time. Things seem to change often enough you had better be prepared for worst case scenarios as we are experiencing.

I have been using the Hornady Interlocks for my .243 - 100 gr, .270 - 130 gr, and .30-06 - 180 gr and all shoot just fine for me. I can get good groups on the range and have been all pass through shots on all animals so that's all I really require!

All I use for deer in my 300 mag. Lots depends on speed with that bullet keep them under 2800 or 2900 FPS and they work good. I used to have really good results with the 139 in my 7mm-08 nice mushrooms and 70-80% retention.

I just ordered a couple boxes of boat-tail 30 calibre Hornady Interlock in 165 gr for my 30-06. No experience with them but it's all that was available in that calibre and weight on line up here in Canada. I would have preferred Nosler Partitions as that's what my gun is set for right now but absolutely none to be had. I have about a dozen of Nosler loads left and that should be enough to get me through rechecking the zero when I get to Montana and shooting another deer and maybe an elk. But if there's any problems at the range, I want to have some more loaded up. If these new bullets don't work out at the range I can sell the second box to the local gun store at cost and shipping. They only have one box of 30 cal @ 150 gr plain jane lead soft point which is just too light for elk.

Anyone have experience with these bullets? Because they were actually available when nothing else is, I'm a bit nervous they may have a bad reputation. Hope not. Thanks.
If I was to go back to a cup-and-core bullet, they would be my first choice. I think they're the best out of the core-lokt's, power points, federal, etc.

That being said, I think the accubonds and the partition are a much better quality bullet, but that is reflected in the price point.

They should work just fine out of a .30-06. The 180s actually worked pretty well on some big hogs with thick gristle plates out of a .300 Win Mag. I knew some guys in Montana who swore by Interlocks out of .30-06s and even .25-06s.

If I was to go back to a cup-and-core bullet, they would be my first choice. I think they're the best out of the core-lokt's, power points, federal, etc.

That being said, I think the accubonds and the partition are a much better quality bullet, but that is reflected in the price point.
Thanks. I might agree but at this point I have to take what I can get and there's no Partitions in that size/weight to be got anywhere it seems.

Interlocks are good to go, used them for years on everything from light skinned deer and rams, to 300+ pound hogs.

They should work just fine out of a .30-06. The 180s actually worked pretty well on some big hogs with thick gristle plates out of a .300 Win Mag. I knew some guys in Montana who swore by Interlocks out of .30-06s and even .25-06s.
Wow! Haven't heard from Rick for a long while! Welcome back!

As far as Interlocks....I've killed more big game with that bullet than any other.

Accurate, controlled expansion and affordable.

Nothing but positives to report here as well. Haven’t used the 165s but 150s and 180s both shoot well out of my ‘06 and everything has expired quickly.

As has been mentioned already, I think cup and core bullets really shine at moderate velocity and my experiences so far have done nothing but reinforce that belief.

Thanks. I might agree but at this point I have to take what I can get and there's no Partitions in that size/weight to be got anywhere it seems.
Not sure which part of Ontario your in.
I'm heading up next weekend.
Buffalo, QEW to 410 to 10 past Orangeville.

I'm on the lookout, & enlisted my friends locally also for the 165gr Partitions.

IF i can find them, could arange a meet.

Not sure which part of Ontario your in.
I'm heading up next weekend.
Buffalo, QEW to 410 to 10 past Orangeville.

I'm on the lookout, & enlisted my friends locally also for the 165gr Partitions.

IF i can find them, could arange a meet.
Thanks but I'm waaay over near the Manitoba side of Ontario. Very considerate of you. Hope these Hornady bullets arrive before hunting season.

I prefer them for deer. Accurate, consistent and 1/2 the price of premium bullets. Do the same job for less! I will say I haven't used them on Elk though. TOTALLY different game(literally) and for them I shoot Partitions out of my .280Rem.

I used them for years in my 06 for elk, worked just fine. I don’t really care how much a recovered bullet weighs. I still use them in my .275 Rigby as it is my most accurate bullet in that rifle. Haven’t shot an elk with it but the deer sure don’t like it. In a perfect world I too like Partitions and Accubonds

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tvrguy
Back