Hornady 7 PRC a Lie?

Pfft... "Tactical Rifle Ultra Magnum Precision" (or T.R.U.M.P.) would have opened up a whole new market segments of Bubbas.

Oh man, that'd be something. The Tactical UltraMaga precisions would be a hit. They should do it, capture a whole new crowd who refuses to buy anything that says creedmoor or PRC on it but the Ultramaga's? helll yeah brother!

Oh man, that'd be something. The Tactical UltraMaga precisions would be a hit. They should do it, capture a whole new crowd who refuses to buy anything that says creedmoor or PRC on it but the Ultramaga's? helll yeah brother!
Only available in .30 cal, because metrics are for commie Euro-trash.

Blaming the 7 PRC velocity problem on chronographs is pretty funny. mtmuley

Might have been a barrel that was new - barrels speed up until broken in.

I met a guy at the range that was on his 3rd 6.5 prc trying to get 3000 with 147-156 weight bullets. All factory box ammo. He asked me what I was getting with the 156’s and I told him 2960 with those and 3012 with 147’s out of my 24” with hand loads. He seemed surprised to learn though that it didn’t come till after 150-200 rds and I was at mid 2800’s with factory box ammo or over 100 fps slower than advertised before the barrels broke in. lol. Said he never shot more than 4 boxes thru either of the two of em before that one.

I met a guy at the range that was on his 3rd 6.5 prc trying to get 3000 with 147-156 weight bullets. All factory box ammo. He asked me what I was getting with the 156’s and I told him 2960 with those and 3012 with 147’s out of my 24” with hand loads. He seemed surprised to learn though that it didn’t come till after 150-200 rds and I was at mid 2800’s with factory box ammo or over 100 fps slower than advertised before the barrels broke in. lol. Said he never shot more than 4 boxes thru em before selling.
Smart guy. mtmuley

Anyone make one of these a +p yet? I really wanna spin a 28 together but want that 195 at 2900 plus so probably have to do a 28 nosler when the time comes

I’m not drinking the cool aid. I’m sending 168’s at 3150 and 175’s at a little over 3000 in my 7rm. No problem loading them at 3.415 in my ridgeline.

Fwiw in a 175 class .284 bullet the wind drift difference at 600 yards from mid 2800’s to 3000 is like 1/10th or (2ish inches) . I’m no 7prc fan boy but short barrel factory ammo it makes sense.
It begins to matter if you shoot 1k+ thats for sure. 180 vld 7rm hsm ammo vs 180 eldm 7prc hornady ammo

If you want to shoot long range 7 prc > 7 rm unless you have a custom chamber.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240405_202810_Strelok Pro.jpg
    Screenshot_20240405_202810_Strelok Pro.jpg
    824.3 KB · Views: 16
  • Screenshot_20240405_202733_Strelok Pro.jpg
    Screenshot_20240405_202733_Strelok Pro.jpg
    773.1 KB · Views: 16
And here I thought I was high speed low drag shooting ELDMs in my .308 lately… Pretty sure a bear won’t know the difference between that and a 7mm PRC, but I’ve been wrong before.

And here I thought I was high speed low drag shooting ELDMs in my .308 lately… Pretty sure a bear won’t know the difference between that and a 7mm PRC, but I’ve been wrong before.
A 223 with a 77 tmk / 75 eldm would kill most things in america at ranges the average hunter cant shoot.

None of it matters for hunting in a practical sense.

A 223 with a 77 tmk / 75 eldm would kill most things in america at ranges the average hunter cant shoot.

None of it matters for hunting in a practical sense.
I’ve seen the .223 and 62 grain gold dots do some serious killing. I’ll still take a .243 and up for my hunting though.

View attachment 321581

Google found me a picture of why it sells.
Your picture is the reason I don't watch Ultimate Reloader on YouTube anymore also.

And to respond to another of your statements. Which corresponds to your picture.

The 7PRC is THROATED to seat the 180gr bullets out so that the shank/ boat tail junction on the bullet is at the neck/shoulder junction of the case.

If you want apples to apples, then throat the Rem Mag the same.

The fairly standard 7mm twist of 1:9 will stabilize all but the 197gr Sierra MatchKing and the really long, heavy mono bullets.

It will be many years before I can afford to get into reloading.

Reloading can be as expensive, or inexpensive as you choose.

If you look at what works versus a name, you can be reloading for less than $250.

There is a Lee single stage press on Amazon for $64.

It doesn't say Dillon or RCBS, but it works!
Ebay, garage/yard sales, and flea markets are great sources for used ( we prefer previously enjoyed around here) equipment.

Also, if your looking at data from reloading manuals, pay attention to barrel length.
You can get a 7mm-08 over 3,000fps depending upon bullet weight & barrel length.
While i use and like a lot of Nosler components, i look at their reloading manual as engineered fiction, and don't use them.

Your picture is the reason I don't watch Ultimate Reloader on YouTube anymore also.

And to respond to another of your statements. Which corresponds to your picture.

The 7PRC is THROATED to seat the 180gr bullets out so that the shank/ boat tail junction on the bullet is at the neck/shoulder junction of the case.

If you want apples to apples, then throat the Rem Mag the same.

The fairly standard 7mm twist of 1:9 will stabilize all but the 197gr Sierra MatchKing and the really long, heavy mono bullets.
Hornady reccomends a 1 in 8 to stabilize a 180 eldm - think id rather be able to shoot heavier bullets than lighter ones.

Why go through the trouble of a custom barrel, a cartridge length that wont feed in the mag box, and being unable to purchase ammo that has a length consistent with the throat of a rifle?

I guess you can turn a 7rm into something close to 7 prc - but what for? Your idea works great if someone has a pile of brass for 7rm, time, money for a custom barrel, reloading knowledge and enjoys it.

Alternatively - a factory rifle is available in 7 prc.

Yeah it takes quite a bit of mental gymnastics to argue that a wild-catted purpose built rifle is an easier button than factory SAAMI cartridge with ammo on shelves. Apples to apples means factory SAAMI with off the shelf ammo, or custom with handloads - no mixing and matching.

I'm sure a 7mm-375 Cheytac would be a hammer too :ROFLMAO:

think id rather be able to shoot heavier bullets than lighter ones
I got no dog in this fight, but 140-168s in 7mm have been killing the biggest critters short of dangerous game without any issue for a very long time.

Marketing hype for heavy/high bc stuff is also real.

My favorite bullet in 7mm is the 143 hammer and I’ve got no doubts it’ll kill anything in North America

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CZ452Scout
Back