Hornady 300 wsm ammo

kiwi hunter

I had a young fella come over to Oz from the states to hunt sambar, we dropped into a sports store to buy some heavier loads as my ones were only 150 gr, they had some 200 Gr packets out the back and these we took into the mountains. Upon arrival at our camping spot which was on top of the Ridge as far as we could go, to find the rounds would not chamber. Luckily the 150ies had come along for the ride. Back at the store a few days later I swapped them for h whitetail 165 gr, now as the rifle was locked down in the back of the vehicle it was assumed that these should be OK as I'd used them over the yrs back in Nz in my browning's with no problem. Soon as we got home I thought a trail run should be run to see what's what and although they did chamber it was damn tight. This is in my wich mod 70, no problem to use winchester ammo. My thinking is that the pressure to produce more has slipped the quality control.

Yes, this is especially true from just a year or two ago.

I've seen ammo with 2 bullets in one casing. Along with other defects.

Just because it comes from a factory, doesn't mean that there are zero defects.

I had similar problems with Nosler ammo in a Tikka 65 manbun. Tikka blamed Nosler; Nosler blamed Tikka. End of the day it seemed like the Tikka was built to more exacting standards. Nosler eventually sent me new ammo that cycled just fine.

Had this problem several years ago with two boxes of 300 wsm Federal 180’s, they were manufactured before the demand skyrocketed. Like std7 indicated, just because the factory loaded it doesn’t mean its always right.

As fast as they load them it's a wonder there aren't more rejects in boxes. I wonder what Federal's reject piles/bins of ruined cases and loaded ammo look like. IIRC some places sell the brass as "pull downs".

I’ve read that Hornady has had issues with several calibers not chambering or barely chambering, and that’s even with their calibers. I guess I’d buy a cartridge check tool if I was going to regularly use their ammo for hunting.

Things happen. Hornady ammo has been the best ammo ive found.

They get a lot of hate for making superior innovative products that sell well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jd Gardner
Back