Honey hole on fire?

MThuntr

What would you do if your honey hole (and the surrounding 11 sections) is currently on fire OR you were unaware it burned only to discover this when you're hiking in?

Thoughts

I'd hope for a lot of moisture so it greens up with nice clean fresh grass just in time for September.

However, if there is to much moisture and it is steep enough, then you just get mudslides.

Yup it's pretty crazy out there. I've been keeping track of the fire starts and it looks like some of my spots are dodging the lightning but a couple are burnt to a crisp. Luckily I didn't draw a tag in my secret spot so I'm hoping for green grass and a tag for next year.

My favorite area got burned, but based on the Mosaic description from inci web I think it will be huntable this year. Will see how that plays out though in the next couple of weeks when I head up there to see the damage.

I had the same thing happen to me. I hunted it anyway and found more animals than I expected. There was a surprising amount of green-up only 6 weeks after the flames.

I watched elk lick the burned trees...dunno why they liked it.

Then in the afternoon I heard a bugle. I cow called and a nice 6x6 came in on a string. Shot him at 40 yards with a rifle.

Give it a go.

Pull up your pants and make it happen...even if that means hunting a new area. You can't kill anything from your couch and even a bad day of hunting is better than a good day at work. Good luck.

You can't kill anything from your couch .

No, but I can from my deck!!

IMG_0670.jpg

RJ

Had a similar situation last year and just hunted nearby. Ended up filling my tag, but understand nearby was still public and secluded. Hoping like hell the same thing doesn't happen this year to my side of creek drainage.

Mthuntr, I am guessing you ae talking about the Dovetail fire ? Any idea how far it went? My house is right in that area and I have been away all summer. No one has given me any but the sketchyist of detail on that fire. From what small amount of good info I have heard concerning elk, they are staying along the river in large numbers feeding on the newly sprouted cottonwoods from last summers Mussellshell flood. CMR could be extra good this year.

My understanding after finally getting some reliable info, is that is was solely on private land. S of the 79 trail, east of Dovetail. That is all the info I could find.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back