Honest opinion on taking the month off work for elk season? Please help!!

OK so we have decided you should do it. But how you gonna structure it? Do you have multiple tags to fill? Things other than hunting you want to do in Elk country?

I think about some of the tags i have had over the years and the way I felt so worn out after just a couple days and multiple close calls or days when the elk aren't responding and are bedded in the deep dark timber. If I had yor situation, I would recommend:

Schedule some time as you travel to and from to explore towns and other points of interest .

Schedule a day off from hunting every 5 days or so. Wash clothes in town and get a restaurant meal.

Socialize with some people. You could make potential career or hunting contacts for the future,

If you feel burned out, take some time off. Mental stress has pushed more guys off the mountain than physical.
You brought up some great points and actually hit the nail on the head, after going there nine years in a row I’ve developed some friendships and met several friends. I always set aside a day to help an elderly couple I met a few years ago with things around the farm and to visit with other friends I’ve made during my time there.
About tags I’ll have two elk tags and a deer tag, I’ll also have the ability to get a bear tag if I end up needing one. If I get burned out I’ve done plenty of fishing in the past and plan on spending a day or two on the river bank catching trout.
I also have a couple new areas I’m wanting to get into. Whether I get in them before or after my tags are filled I plan to get in and scout for future hunts, they are within my zone though so if things are slow in my usual area I’ll head to one of the new areas.
As far as looking into jobs, I usually make sure to stop by the union hall on my way into town each year to show my face and get my name out, I think showing interest a few years in a row will show I am serious about a future there and hopefully helps make some future work contacts.
I plan to spent most of the month in the woods but like you said, a month leaves plenty of time to do and see things I haven’t had time for in the past, I think it will be a great learning experience in more ways than just woodsmanship. Thanks for the response!

Back