Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Honest, down to reason Opinions request...

MTGunner

Looking to replace my 7 MM magnum rifle with same. It will have to be a 7MM mag due to lots of components, dies and hand loading experience with this cartridge. Believe the 7 mag is a thumper and has been more than adequate as long as I do my part. Have been hunting a Sako A7 in 7 mag but heavier than the dickens. Will be put up for sale as do not need another safe queen.
Looking for a bolt action rifle with synthetic stock, 24”-26” bbl., stainless or wrapper bbl. as weight is a very large consideration as looking fo 7 pounds or less with base, rings and scope. Have had much Remington 700 experience and do approve of the action. But, not absolute. Not looking to break the bank but a good quality, accurate, light weight shooter is important. This will be probably my last rifle purchase due to my age of 75 years and counting. Rifle will be passed down to our only grandchild/grandson who has some hunting experience and looking to hunt with grandad while he is still up to it.
Thanks to all for your valuable input. MTG

Attachments

• 89A27AC9-8E84-4D98-AA93-448E3F2BB975.jpeg
    89A27AC9-8E84-4D98-AA93-448E3F2BB975.jpeg
    648.7 KB · Views: 59
  • 0165EB16-DD2E-463C-A77B-63A8ACB69C41.png
    0165EB16-DD2E-463C-A77B-63A8ACB69C41.png
    7.3 MB · Views: 59
Why don’t you get a mcmillan sporter’s edge for the sako? It’ll cut down on the weight significantly and you’re already used to the action

Never mind on this. I had the wrong sako inlet.

There are plenty of tikka 7mm rem mags out there and they’re all going to be shooters

Last edited:
👆2nd Christensen Arms, very good build quality and guarantee sub moa. My friend has a Mesa and it feels like a very nice rifle. From my understanding, it's a 700 clone... correct me if I'm wrong.

Depending on your bank account though, the Mesa starts at $1300? It would definitely be an heirloom rifle..

CA or Bergara.
Personally, I stopped buying production guns and buy components instead. I can save generally $500-1000 over a production rifle. With a grandson, it would make for an awesome project that all would remember putting together and then shooting that first hunt

Tikka T3x or Browning x bolt would be where I started. The are others, such as the Christensen already mentioned, but pick what fits you best

Stainless is my preference, but I’m not married to that.

Having handled one this season, I see no reason a Christensen Arms Ridgeline would not fit your criteria. If i were in the market it would be on my short list
Beat me to it. I have a Ridgeline that shoots very well. The barrel length to overall weight is acceptable and balanced, though may be over 7lbs with a larger scope. I lean towards accepting a little more weight in magnums.

Why don’t you get a mcmillan sporter’s edge for the sako? It’ll cut down on the weight significantly and you’re already used to the action

Never mind on this. I had the wrong sako inlet.

There are plenty of tikka 7mm rem mags out there and they’re all going to be shooters
Unless something has changed, McMillan will over ANY inlet in any of their stocks. Just because it isn’t listed does t mean they don’t/won’t do it.

Unless something has changed, McMillan will over ANY inlet in any of their stocks. Just because it isn’t listed does t mean they don’t/won’t do it.
I asked about a Sako 85 a year ago and they wouldn’t, but you could be correct too

Christensen and Bergara are definitely great choices. I can’t really recommend anything else if you like a Remington 700.

I asked about a Sako 85 a year ago and they wouldn’t, but you could be correct too
Something may have changed. They used to put any inlet in any stock, and if they didn’t have an inlet for your action(which would be nuts) you could send them your barreled action and they would add it to their library of inlets.

What scope are you planning on putting on it? The weight of that will likely knock out most of the rifles mentioned if you want the scoped weight to be no more than 7 pounds. The FFT version of the Christensen should make the weight. A Tikka Superlite with a 3-9ish scope might keep you at, or close to, your target weight.

I’m not sure the Ridgeline is going to meet the OP’s requirements of weighing in at 7 pounds with a scope.

ImBillT, not actually set on a Rem. 700 platform. Have had many, sold many, traded too many. They served me well. Just accustomed to their actions. Have owned Savages, Winchester’s, Husqvarna, Rugers and more. Sold many that I should have been horse whipped for doing so. Having said this I am open to new design bolt actions and bbl. configurations if I can find a rifle to keep weight down. Not a fan of Blaser. Do not like their tang safety configuration. Believe it to be dangerous. Them darn heavy critters are gettin’ too much for this old fart to cart up and down them hills and valleys.
As for optics I have yet to come to a conclusion. I have researched Trijicon illuminated, Burris, Vortex, Leupold, Swarovski and others. Will settle on optics after I have firearm in hand. I have an older Burris compact magnum on my Sako currently. Has served me well. But, old eyes require good optics. I am taking all input from this forum seriously and weighing options. Please continue to offer your thoughts. MTG

Seekins PH2. Great rifle all around and you won't find a better warranty. If you run it over or drop it off a cliff they will take care of it no problem. It doesn't matter if you are the original owner or not. They are extremely accurate. I just got mine a week ago in 7mm Rem Mag.

Back