Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Homemade bed slide?

• Thread starter Deleted member 20812
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 20812

Anyone built one? I need one and am debating with buying used or building.

I'd imagine there's plans for various type builds for different truck models. I don't see much difference between buying used or building a new one. You either pay for materials and spend some time or you pay for someone else's materials and someone else's time lol.

I'd imagine there's plans for various type builds for different truck models. I don't see much difference between buying used or building a new one. You either pay for materials and spend some time or you pay for someone else's materials and someone else's time lol.
Agreed, as much as materials cost you'll end up spending the same or more compared to just buying one. The only benefit to making your own is you can make it exactly how you want it.

I started my own welding business a few months ago and had someone ask me to build one recently. After quoting just what the material would be without my time in it they were better off just buying one.

I built one, but only because Decked doesn’t make them for trucks of my 25 year old vintage. I’d have bought theirs otherwise.

Do you need something heavy duty to store tools and such, or more some sliders to carry all your camping junk so you can sleep in the back?

EDIT: I’m a dope, you’re looking for something different than what I thought you were.

I built one, but only because Decked doesn’t make them for trucks of my 25 year old vintage. I’d have bought theirs otherwise.

Do you need something heavy duty to store tools and such, or more some sliders to carry all your camping junk so you can sleep in the back?

EDIT: I’m a dope, you’re looking for something different than what I thought you were.
I just want the slide out deck so I don’t have to unstrap and pull out dog boxes in order to get into coolers and stuff up front. Pop out windows/windoors in the topper would be ideal but aren’t an option.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cost vs your own custom, always a debate. Kid next door (before we moved) was a fly fishing guide. He/his dad built a sweet set of slide outs for his Silverado- all fly rods, misc tackle on one side, all wet gear (nets, waders, boots, etc) on the other. They did the inside of the tackle side in marine carpeting, the wet side in some sort of heavy plastic that they drilled drain holes all the way through so the water just ended up in the bed and out the tailgate. Coolers and etc. went on top, it was a nice setup!

I bought my first one in 2007. Bought a second one for a shorter bed truck in 2019. Wouldn't be without one. Interesting both were for a Silverado, but installed differently. The first one had pins attached to the slide that fit into holes drilled by the installer. To remove it, you would need to lift it out of the hole at the tailgate and it slid out of the holes in the cab wall. The second one bolts through the bottom of the bed.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back