Home School Madness

The remote learning process at least here in Kansas has been a resounding disaster.
In my school district we had the option to full on homeschool, remote learn, and in person learning. The State Board of Education put out notices that things aren’t going well for most students Who chose full blown home school or remote learning. I think everyone anticipated some setbacks with Kansas shutting down schools early but I think most were surprised by how bad it was.

I wish I could say the world is like this or like that. Or that it’s going to get better. I’m more convinced that anyone who tells you the world is getting better is selling something

Homeschooled 3 boys back in the day.
I could not do what is called homeschooling today. All the responsibly and few of the benefits.

After decades of teaching at home, my wife now works for the local district. She comes home weeping for the kids whose only support system is the school. They are not being “Homeschooled” now. They are in the wind. The district struggles to find many and monitor them. Districts were simply not equipped or funded for this level of social work.

Her district delivers bag breakfasts and lunches to kids whose parents leave them home alone. Often this includes pre-school siblings off the books because the district is not funded for that. What do you say to a kid who missed her Zoom class because she is caring for her 2 Y.O. sibling?

I hear the frustration in the OP. But you are frustrated because you care. Thank you for being that kind of parent.

I had always lived with the ethos that whether they were in public, private, or home schools it was our responsibility to see that our sons were literate and functional in society. They are all literate and (mostly) functional in society. Sure as hell none of them are political and spiritual clones of their parents.

I come from a long line of self responsible folks. I was remiss in not understanding what a social safety net the public schools actually are.

I was always perturbed when anyone suggested that we were privileged to be able to live on one income and have someone home for the boys. We gave up a lot. And now today, the sacrifices would probably not be enough to get by.

Much respect to those of you dealing with this today.

She comes home weeping for the kids whose only support system is the school. They are not being “Homeschooled” now. They are in the wind.

Her district delivers bag breakfasts and lunches to kids whose parents leave them home alone.

Spot on. My wife says the same thing and does the same thing. More tears this year than a smiling face when she gets home. She feels defeated and ineffective. Worried about her "kids" with their poor home lives. Those delivered meals, which a local church has been kind enough to deliver during this mess, are in some cases the only meal the kids get.

To the OP, you'll never fathom how much people like my wife appreciate you trying your best to do what you can for your kids.

Is anyone else spending ALL day being a teacher? On one side of the coin it's cool to be hanging out with my kid while I'm off work, but the other side is I would much rather be out in the woods. I am so frustrated with all of this, because I was a terrible student, and I am an even worse teacher. I actually feel sorry for my kid as much as for myself. Sorry just venting a little.
It's always the most difficult when you first start, and the younger the harder(IMO). All 4 of my kids were/are HS. The oldest 2 are now out of HS/College, the 2 younger are JR/SR HS.

When they all first started, there were some really long/stressful days. Once they reached about 5/6th grades it was a well oiled machine and a typical day ended around noon. That continues till HS, depending on amount of schoolwork assignments to be turned in.

Think of it this way, you get to find out how your child learns and when/if they return to a classroom setting you'll be able to converse with their teacher on that method and hopefully for the benefit of your child.

My son is a senior at a vocation high school enrolled in the electrical program. We have been in and out of full remote or a hybrid system since last March 11. For the life of me I can’t see how on earth students are able to be taught in their chosen vocation. The tragedies that will unfold by this situation on America’s youth is going to be a huge challenge moving forward and undoubtedly many will be left behind.

Trying to teach kids online for almost a year now has been the most challenging thing I’ve faced in my career. It’s brutal. I have the utmost respect and appreciation for parents like you guys who are trying to make this impossible situation work for your kids. Thank you. Many do not have that kind of parental support, and it is one of the great hidden tragedies of our time.
I am "monitoring" my 2nd grade grandson most days while he does interactive online school. His mom is tied up with a busy toddler who just started walking. I am a former HS teacher/coach with a PhD (NOT in education) so I am not a babe in the woods. I'm amazed at how well Parker's teachers are handling it. Even more amazed at how well that group of kids has adapted.

Much respect! After raising my three daughters pretty much solo and also coaching up through high school for nearly three decades , I have nothing but respect for the teaching profession. Underpaid and undervalued way too often IMHO. Most of who look down their noses at them think that teachers should be responsible for raising their kids as well as teaching them... society’s common core unfortunately

The sad thing is that "the science" tells us children, particularly in the K-6 grades don't get infected often, very few get sick if they do, and they are unlikely to spread it even if infected. So, this was justified March-May 2019 when we knew little, but science did not support it this fall, and the American Academy of Pediatricians and St. Fauci said so. If there are teachers at high risk, quarantine them, not a whole generation. Why school districts didn't follow those recommendations puzzles me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not doing any home schooling, however I hope that this situation will open the eyes of some parents to how hard (most) teachers work and how difficult their job can be. I hope the folks that blame their children's teachers for poor grades, poor behavior, etc. are taking some long looks in the mirror and thinking about the root of the issues.

No kidding, most people choose not to see the problem when it's their own kids though. I've been the "remote" teacher for our 3rd grader off and on since this debacle started and she doesn't like the home schooling, but we've come to an understanding and we get through everything. At her school the kids have 4-5 teachers that cover various subjects, and this remote stuff has very clearly identified the teachers who don't put in the effort as well, it plain sucks to muddle through some of these assignments when no instruction is given...

Is anyone else spending ALL day being a teacher? On one side of the coin it's cool to be hanging out with my kid while I'm off work, but the other side is I would much rather be out in the woods. I am so frustrated with all of this, because I was a terrible student, and I am an even worse teacher. I actually feel sorry for my kid as much as for myself. Sorry just venting a little.
Hang in there You're doing a great thing for your kids. Can you take them with you and get some days in the woods? I have a 2nd and 5th grader that I'm home with and we've missed some days when the weather was better to get out in the boat. They aren't missing much if anything being away from the computer and making up the work later. This time of year I typically duck hunt whenever the weather is bad but I've had to put that on hold this year on weekdays. It's helped that the season is very slow and I haven't missed much.

All in all I've really enjoyed my time with the kids. We play a lot of sports around the house and we do a lot of bike riding. I get my hike in from 6:15 to 8:00 just about every morning before my wife leaves which is a big help for me to get things going. I'm hopeful they get back to school soon though, my daughter especially is really missing the social aspect of being at school. I agree some of the teaching is tough. I like math so that part has been good but they do a ton of writing which I don't enjoy helping them with.

The sad thing is that "the science" tells us children, particularly in the K-6 grades don't get infected often, very few get sick if they do, and they are unlikely to spread it even if infected. So, this was justified March-May 2019 when we knew little, but science did not support it this fall, and the American Academy of Pediatricians and St. Fauci said so. If there are teachers at high risk, quarantine them, not a whole generation. Why school districts didn't follow those recommendations puzzles me.
Couldn't agree more. In my opinion the teachers unions have way overplayed there hand here in CA. There is no excuse for not having them back in school last fall. Turning in an application for private school for our daughter tomorrow to get away from the union.

I was a disinterested student at best, with some mediocre teachers. Now I've taught Science, Business, and Psychology on three continents. My forever teaching job is right here in Whale Pass Alaska, with 18 students k-12. I teach all subjects for the 7-12th graders, all 8 of them. Plus my son Joe, who is taking all college classes as a 10th grader.

I'm the Health Liaison for the district, and as such am the go-between for the district and the State and public health. We have a three-tiered closure system based on the number of active cases on our island. We have been closed this week, so I've been home with 25% of the school population (my 5 boys), plus doing classes on Zoom. It can be done.

The class culture before Covid is key though, and that isn't created overnight. Kids need to be taught to be independent thinkers and learners. I have simple rules posted in my room at school; Be persistent, think critically, and "ask three before me; peer, textbook or daily lesson plan. They know they will NEVER be given an answer. If they want assistance they know they have to get up out of their seats and bring their butts over to my desk. They need at least that much skin in the game.

We talk about important stuff all the time; BLM, ANTIFA, transgender, Trump, Biden, color revolutions, false flags, racism, spiritual beliefs vs. evidence-based opinions, and on and on. They know I tell them the truth as best I know, and will distinguish between my beliefs, my opinions, and the evidence I base my opinions on. They are welcome to form any opinion they feel is right for them, and know they can voice their perspectives in safety. My stated goal for them is they have one thought that is truly their own before they graduate.

We do a Subsistence Week every year with their parents (camping, deer hunting, halibut fishing, shrimp pots, etc. . . ), celebrate together, mourn together, and watch the world do what the world is doing from our little piece of heaven here in Whale Pass. I suppose you have to follow the work assigned by the teacher, but don't hesitate to get up from the table and go outside and do what you love. Plenty of math, science, history, civics and English can be tied into whatever you end up doing. Turn the problem into the solution.

I'll add that the UK and South Africa variants (and others no doubt) are going to be object lessons in linear vs. exponential growth. You need to be prepared for very high case numbers, overwhelmed health care, and a spillover effect into other areas of society. I hope I'm wrong, but the evidence says otherwise. In public tptb are admitting to a 50% increase in transmissibility. I can show you a study that shows a 230% increase in transmissibility. I've shared the study with contacts in the UK healthcare system. They don't disagree with the study based on what they are dealing with on the ground. YMMV.

Here is the quote regarding the transmissibility of the original strain vs. the UK variant:

“To understand the difference between exponential and linear risks, consider an example put forth by Adam Kucharski, a professor at the London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine who focuses on mathematical analyses of infectious-disease outbreaks. Kucharski compares a 50 percent increase in virus lethality to a 50 percent increase in virus transmissibility. Take a virus reproduction rate of about 1.1 and an infection fatality risk of 0.8 percent and imagine 10,000 active infections—a plausible scenario for many European cities, as Kucharski notes. As things stand, with those numbers, we’d expect 129 deaths in a month. If the fatality rate increased by 50 percent, that would lead to 193 deaths. In contrast, a 50 percent increase in transmissibility would lead to a whopping 978 deaths in just one month—assuming, in both scenarios, a six-day infection-generation time.”

I can provide the link to the study showing the 230% transmissibility rate increase if anybody is interested.

I'll add that the UK and South Africa variants (and others no doubt) are going to be object lessons in linear vs. exponential growth. You need to be prepared for very high case numbers, overwhelmed health care, and a spillover effect into other areas of society. I hope I'm wrong, but the evidence says otherwise. In public tptb are admitting to a 50% increase in transmissibility. I can show you a study that shows a 230% increase in transmissibility. I've shared the study with contacts in the UK healthcare system. They don't disagree with the study based on what they are dealing with on the ground. YMMV.

Here is the quote regarding the transmissibility of the original strain vs. the UK variant:

“To understand the difference between exponential and linear risks, consider an example put forth by Adam Kucharski, a professor at the London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine who focuses on mathematical analyses of infectious-disease outbreaks. Kucharski compares a 50 percent increase in virus lethality to a 50 percent increase in virus transmissibility. Take a virus reproduction rate of about 1.1 and an infection fatality risk of 0.8 percent and imagine 10,000 active infections—a plausible scenario for many European cities, as Kucharski notes. As things stand, with those numbers, we’d expect 129 deaths in a month. If the fatality rate increased by 50 percent, that would lead to 193 deaths. In contrast, a 50 percent increase in transmissibility would lead to a whopping 978 deaths in just one month—assuming, in both scenarios, a six-day infection-generation time.”

I can provide the link to the study showing the 230% transmissibility rate increase if anybody is interested.
Fortunately it appears at this time, at least that the vaccine may be effective; time will tell, of course.

Jan. 8 (UPI) -- The COVID-19 vaccine made by Pfizer and BioNTech may be effective against new variants of the coronavirus that have emerged in Britain and South Africa, a new study indicates.

The study, conducted by University of Texas researchers and supported by the companies, found that the Pfizer-BioNTech "BNT162b2" vaccine was no less effective against the variant viruses than the original.

My mom is a teacher so I don't want to downgrade the struggle teachers are dealing with right now, but if I have to homeschool why would I not just pull my kid out of school all together and home school?
Im with you - I feel bad for the teachers as a whole and have several in my family. ALOT of people around me have already done this and said they wont send them back even though they can now.

I understand your situation, hang in there and try to make the most of it. Take your kid out in the woods with you once a week. Call it a science day. We pulled our 3rd grade daughter out of school when the district decided to do 100% distance learning before the school year started. We purchased a homeschool curriculum that’s been really good. When I’m not working, I’m teaching. I’ve enjoyed the time with my daughter and relearning all kinds of stuff. I know my daughter wants to go back to school next year if she can but after reading Minnesota’s new social studies curriculum I don’t know what to do.

Comparisons of home-schooled vs public school SAT scores almost always favor home school. So, if you have the skills and time obv a viable option. One confounding factor though, is that homeschooled kids generally have intact families where more time can be spent on schooling, and more parents have advanced degrees, and concomitantly, higher income. So, the deck is somewhat stacked against public schools in regards to outcomes.

My kids have been going to school this fall, and frankly, I think all kids should be. We had a couple weeks where the school was shut down due to a lack of substitute teachers. My FB friends have seen these but I feel like I killed the game when it came to homeschooling.

Geometry: This is a cylinder

1610115684651.png

Chemistry: When heated, the proteins in the eggs uncoil, form a mesh, and trap water. That’s why they turn white.

Physics: Eggs float in bacon grease. Archimedes’ Principle

Nutrition: Heart Disease is the leading cause of death in America.

1610115735704.png

Thermodynamics: When liquid is heated to a temperature such that its vapor pressure is above that of its surroundings, such as air pressure, it boils.

1610115842618.png

Community Service and economics: Dad doesn't want to cook. Support your local pizza places

1610115954846.png

My mom is a teacher so I don't want to downgrade the struggle teachers are dealing with right now, but if I have to homeschool why would I not just pull my kid out of school all together and home school?
That’s what we decided to do.

Back