Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Home Heating Questions

Curious what your blower door score was? I know to receive Passive House certification you needs to be under 0.60ACH (which I’ve heard is tight enough if someone farts inside your ears will pop), ha! Our current building codes require you be under 5.0ACH.

The last house we built was 1.67ACH. We worked hard to air seal properly. Silicone at base plates, ZIP siding & roofing, foam attic insulation. Without going to a crazy window/door package (we used a better than standard Andersen) I don’t think we could have gotten any lower. Wood stove drafts without issue.

Your post got me curious also so I went looking and the sticker is blank I can't recall if it is required. I remember it scheduling a day for it but maybe that was the duct blast 🤔.
Duct blast seems good though.

Attachments

• 20230125_111330.jpg
    20230125_111330.jpg
    1,011.5 KB · Views: 7
During this recent cold spell we had a couple pipes freeze up in our crawlspace. I spent some time belly-crawling around there with a blow dryer in one hand and some heat tape in the other. Fortunately, I got all pipes thawed without them bursting, and in the process I learned that I need to better insulate that crawlspace. The pipes that froze are a couple inches from the foundation, and I could put my hand up there and feel the cold air seeping in.

If possible, converting your vented crawlspace to a sealed/conditioned crawlspace would be worth looking into as well.

I’m far, far from an expert, but if you’re looking at staying in your home long-term, I would first invest in some new insulation. It is amazing the difference a properly insulated home makes. Our current house is fairly old (1940s era) and the insulation is basically sawdust and wishes. Consequently, it’s always extra cold in the winter, and extra hot in the summer. I can feel the hot or cold radiating through the ceiling. My brother and my parents both have newer homes in similar climates, and they have to use their ACs and heaters far, far less than we do.

If I were in your spot, and planning to stay in the home for 10 or more years, I’d be looking to replace the attic and sub-floor insulation first. But, again, I’m no expert so take that for what it’s worth.

Also, congratulations on the soon-to-come second kiddo.
Insulate for attic the blown in is very popular. Insulate !

Back