Home Defense and Hogs

noharleyyet

Been mulling a shortened 12 ga for a few years so Santa brought this 18.5" Mossberg 590 A1. Added a +2 mag extender and Magpul furniture. Bead sight.

Will wear a 500 lumen light.

Accuracy surprising...from the bench at 100 yds. 3 shots, rifled slugs. Small holes from another rifle.

That's a handy little fowling piece. When it comes to short range work, nothing beats a shotty.

What's the drop at 100 yards?

T, I could only google a chart if one exists. The bead pretty much covers POA so I was aiming (guessing really) center of a three target triangle & hit the two top ones. The plug is removed so birding is out. 7+1 is capacity. It stays loaded with staggered slugs and double 00. Anxious to try it on moving pigs.

I think that thing is legal(length wise) for elk in Colorado, now there is a nice challenge!

The damned pigs are trying to break into your house now!?

I knew it was bad down there, but that's ridiculous.

Nice NHY, I like that Magpul furniture.

I've shot a fair number of hogs with a 12 gauge, .30/06, and .357 Mag. The 12 is my first choice if I know it's going to be close range. Those big slugs put them down in a hurry.

That's nice. Never chased the hogs with a shotgun, might have to give it a try.

Just an idea on another option to staggering your loads in the tube. Download your 7 round tube to 5 rounds all with the same load. Carry the other load in a side saddle. If you need the side saddle round, load two into the mag, rack one and load one more.

The damned pigs are trying to break into your house now!?

I knew it was bad down there, but that's ridiculous.

Randy, I dont know about Kens hogs, but we had feral hog issues in Bastrop before I moved. Well actually, I had wooded property between Elgin, Bastrop and McDade, in the boonies. A herd of feral pigs showed up one day, multiple generations of the damned things. We (had 4 young kids) couldnt even walk up our long driveway to get mail, the dogs were freaked out, especially by the giant matriarchal sow that was always charging around like a rampaging VW bug.

One day they were just off the back end of the house, I saw a middle generation pig, grabbed the .22 pistol, stepped out my glass patio door and shot him in the head. He dropped, then like a terminator pig, got back up squealing, shot him again, dropped him again, then the giant sow came thundering around. I ran in the door, quickly closed the curtains so she would not see me, busting through all the glass. That middle pig was not there when they left. After that it was only the higher caliber rifle.

It was war at that point. I took all the screens off every window, especially the upstairs with the better vantage point, was camping out in the tree fort, the Bronco, even called other hunters to help thin the herd from hell that would not leave. It took weeks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back