Hole in my yard.

Story behind it is, the wife has wanted a pool or pond since we built. Not messing with another pool so decided on a pond.
We figured it would be 1-2 acres, looking more like 3+ acres.
Excavator said it was the tallest pond dam he’d ever built.
Sets behind the house so you can’t tell it’s back there. If I put up a back stop, I’ll have a new 200 yard range right out the back door. Win win.
Hopefully stocking with bass, bluegill and catfish this spring.

I hoped they compacted the hell out of that dam. 30’ of water is a lot of pressure. There is so many videos on YouTube from dirt perfect and letsdig18 repairing dams I would be nervous as hell with that.

Seriously? That's crazy (not bad...). I assist with the permitting for several irrigation reservoirs that have smaller dams and holy cow are they highly regulated!
I'd be surprised that it didn't require at least a storm water permit for the disturbance, but each jurisdiction has exemptions for one reason or another. Sometimes its 1 acre, sometimes its 5. These are state permits (assuming on private) that are required by the clean water act.

The height could be exempt based on volume. The regulations are pretty straight forward in most places and are fairly easy to navigate with experience an or $$$. Putting your name and stamp on a design comes with a lifetime of liability as well.

Spillways are not necessarily required if you can prove (if jurisdictional) that the impoundment can contain the required storm event or if its a low hazard classification. Its always good practice to have one though.

@Addicting compaction is only one part... the mass of the dam is the most important part followed by the the permeability.

They spent a lot it time and fuel compacting the clay. If it does blow out, they fix it. Water will go 75 yards across a field into a creek. Pressure at the bottom will be less than 15 psi. It’s the pressure from what’s backed up.

It’s surprising that Illinois doesn’t require permits and engineering studies, but they don’t.
Water well was permitted along with geothermal wells. Plumbing had to be inspected. That was it.
Pretty easy to build in this area.
Pretty cool. I'm jealous

That is one of my bucket list items. Stocked pond full of trout, Bass, Bluegill, whatever I can catch. Freakin sweet.

In the middle of digging a 2 acre pond for a client who wants a place for his grandkids to fish as I type this.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mthunter137
Back