Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Hog Hunting in Texas

Shaky

Anybody hog hunt in Texas?

Here is one a killed a few years back. I had a shoulder mount done of it. :)

Considering I am 6' 5" and 240lbs, how much does this hog weigh? :)

Attachments

• Don1.jpg
    Don1.jpg
    127 KB · Views: 158
It might of been out between Bracketville and Del Rio, he went back there last year with a group and they really cleaned up.

How did the mount turn out?

We were about 35 miles southwest of Uvalde.

Tom,

The mount turned out great except for one error on the part of the taxidermist. My buddy killed a 300lb red hog and its tusks where about an inch shorter then this one. When the taxidermist did both of our mounts, somehow he switched the tusks. Even though my hog was smaller then his it had longer tusks but it didn't work out that way after they were both mounted.

Oh well, when we are together and tell the story it is kind of funny.

Tom, we did clean up 2 years ago, 4 of us in 3 nights killed 28 hogs. Can't wait to get back again. :)

Often the taxidermist pulls the tusks out on the hogs when he mounts them - sometimes at the customer's request, sometimes not. You can usually tell, because there is a dark line or ring where the gum line really was!

The first hog I had mounted, the taxidermist asked me if I wanted him to do that - I told him that was cheating and to mount it like it was when the thing was alive!

All the scoring systems I know, score the whole tusk, some (ROE and SCI) just the bottom two big ones, and TGR scores 4 tusks, the two big bottom ones and the two big top ones. I would ask them to leave the tusks where you could take them in and out of the mount yourself. Some will put plastic tusks in, then you can have the skull mount and tusks seperate, if you want. Hog skulls and tusks are pretty neat. The shoulder mount seems ugly to me, but its a hog, its supposed to be ugly, I think. I finally did one last year, its ugly, but neat looking.

I shot it at 135 yards, broadside. There were 3 hogs. There was 1 that was much larger then this one but only offered a head on shot. I watched them for about 10 minutes hoping for a broadside shot on the BIG ONE but it never presented itself. The one I shot and one of the other ones were about the same size. I shot it at 1:30 in the morning. The guide picked me up at 2:00am as scheduled. The 127gr all copper bullet (I make my own) entered the left front shoulder and exited the right shoulder. It went about 10 feet after the shot. :)

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theghostbull
Back