Hog Hunt

havgunwilltravel

Cool weather over here in the mountains of Australia has seen us out hunting deer the last few months but for a change of pace i thought i would race over to another area i hunt and look for some hogs. The boars come out of the woodwork in winter in pursuit of sows in heat and i managed to find a few. I had actually seen a pair of big boars right on daylight the day before, but didn't bother with them as i had a few spots to areas to look at for a deer. As the morning progressed i shot a nice deer for the freezer, then i found another herd of sows and young boars and took a couple. I kept thinking about that first boar from the morning and how he looked really mature and just might have had a big set of tusks, so i set up that evening hoping they would come back out of the forest onto the grass. No luck, so next morning i was on the forest edge and except for the usual kangaroos and a young sambar stag that fed into the timber, the boars were nowhere to be seen.
I kept hunting and took another deer for meat and that evening i thought i would check out the boars again thinking if they weren't there in the morning maybe they would be out early that evening. Getting close to the area i looked on a flat and noticed a few black shapes, hogs and then a couple of big boars, i had found them they had dropped elevation and were fighting over a sow in season, no wonder i never located them the last couple of hunts. So i suck in and set up and took the boars. The larger one was around 100kg and had 3in tusks, a nice hog for our region.
It is hard filming yourself and trying to shoot the animals whilst they are in the centre or close to it of the video screen, especially as they move and feed and this was the first time i was trying it with a little canon camera.

Also i was using the .300wsm and Berger 190gr Hybrids and shots were from 240m to 280m. I didn't try to bust shoulder pads and thick bone with this projectile hence the reason i was hitting them back a bit and trying to lung shoot them. No projectiles exited, but the pigs died.

Good hunting.

hgwt

Ok thanks.

Yes i butchered a few hogs up, the younger animals, the have proven to be very tasty, and were feasting on the clover pretty hard.

Always nice to let rip a few shots at live targets to keep the eye in.

Yeah great stuff mate, just showed the little bloke, he has put his order in to go with you.

He still talks about being the captain of your little tinnie.

Always fun smashing hogs.

Yeah great stuff mate, just showed the little bloke, he has put his order in to go with you.

He still talks about being the captain of your little tinnie.

Always fun smashing hogs.

That fish/hunt in the boat we did was quite the adventure, but your boys took it in their stride! Tell him he is always welcome and I'll take you guys up there if we organise it and he should be able to crack a deer and a hog.

Always an adventure hanging with you mate. :D

He is pretty wrapped with that plan, we'll have to put it together.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BullelkSD
Back