NEW SITKA Ambient 75

Hip replacement?

SunRiverMan

So, I recently found out I need a double hip replacement. Mine are bone on bone. I hunt mostly whitetail deer by choice. Is this the end of my hunting? Am I stuck with orange handicap stickers on my truck forever.

What are your experiences and ideas. I am only 56. Peace!

There is hunting life after total joint replacement. I was walking to the teal blind 2 months after my hip was replaced. Make sure you are as strong and light (muscle and weight) as you can be to help speed your recovery.

I worked with a gal that, in her mid 20's broke her hip while running a marathon. She had replacement surgery a couple days later. 12 months later, she ran that marathon again. She has run many since.

Make sure you are as strong and light (muscle and weight) as you can be to help speed your recovery.

This is the best advice that you can get, I am 56 also and every Orthopedic surgeon that I have talked to tells me that I need need both hips replaced.

Although they are bone on bone with bone spurs complicating things, I am usually at a low pain level unless I really aggravate them. i.e. ladders, roofing, climbing over boat gunnels.

Two things I have discovered that have helped me avoid the scalpel. 1. I tossed my pain killers as they had a bad effect on my blood pressure under exertion.
2. Physical Therapy with someone who understands what to do to strengthen the muscles.

pm me if I can help

Get them replaced. My Dad had one of his done a couple years and it was one of the best things he did. He's now slated to have his other done.

Hips are "easy" for a decent doctor, and can breath life back into your mobility and hunting. It's not like you're going to be 25 again, but you'll be far better off than you were.

I haven't had a hip replaced myself, but know of a few people who have and jr's comments above are pretty much spot on with the results I've seen.

In the "old days" total hips were expected to last, at best, 15 years, and then could be redone once. That is why the surgeons wanted to wait as long as possible. My hip was done at 47 ( if they checked humans for hip issues like the veterinarians do for dogs my dad would have been neutered!) and under the old math my replacement would have lasted at best until 62. Then the second one at best till 77. Then total wheelchair after that due to the one replacement only rule.

But hooray for living in the 21st century. The wearing components of my joint will shed so few particles into the joint space with use that there is expected to be very little immune system loosening of the parts, and a good chance that I have had my last hip implant surgery no matter how long I live.

PS: the best way to figure out who the best orthopedic surgeon in your area is to ask the busiest anesthetist. They get to know how it goes down in the operating room.

Last edited:
I'm in my 2nd week of recovery from total knee replacement on y left. There is a class you can take that's about 3 hrs , all your questions are answered , take it. About half of my class were hips the other half knee's and a few shoulders. I have to say the class put my mind at ease
Good luck.

go for it i had my left hip done 4 years ago and my right hip a year ago. you will be happy you did.i turn 60 last year.

You have lots of miles left. This past year we hunted elk with a cop from AZ who had a hip
replacement a couple of years ago and he got around just fine. Nothing really rough but he never had any problems.

My dad had both done a while back, it was better fixed than not, for the first 20 years, now he's got some issues, but I'd still say better to do than not.

Thanks for the comments. I do go to physical therapy and have a pain doctor. This last month I am lucky I am walking. I am losing weight as I understand it is my biggest enemy. I went to the doctor today to ask about a lap band and I was delighted when he said I don't need the surgery. I lost 22 pounds since December and the doctor said to keep doing whatever I am doing.

This surgery may take awhile. I plan on doing the worst hip first, my right side. After physical therapy and recovery I will get the other one done. I'm glad I can keep tricking those whitetail deer. Peace!

I guess I have one more question. Are metal hip joints affected by the cold temps? I live in Montana

EDIT- I don't blame you for not wanting to think about it. I don't either and it is real for me. Always been active, served in the military, corrections, and federal protection. Mods, feel free to archive this thread whenever. I am just wandering about metal parts in my body and the cold. Peace!

Last edited:
Best of luck SRM....I think it was kansasdad that mentioned the advancements with prosthetic composition longevity. The mfg's are doing some amazing things with bearing parts and structural metallurgy. That said, my new knee is a pretty damn good weatherman.

I've had my left one replaced 6 yrs ago and my rt knee partially replaced 1 yr ago today. Both the best surgeries I've had and believe me when I say the recovery from the hip was so much easier than the knee. I was fishing with my buds 3 weeks after the hip and out running within 8 weeks. Not alot but without the pain. Best advice listen to the Dr do exactly what he says and to the amount that he says. Don't try to do to much because it'll put you farther back in recovery. Best of everything to you and hoping a speedy recovery as well

Had right hip replaced at 52 yr old and went on elk hunt in the BOB 9 months later. You will wish you had it done sooner.

Back