Caribou Gear

Hiking stick

Sytes, you always have the best posts. I have a cheap aluminium one that makes way too much noise. I looked at the ones in Greenhorns post, they look great but too expensive for me, in your situation though they may be the way to go. I was thinking of making some out of wood or bamboo, but they may be too heavy. Dinkshooter's carbon ski poles sound like a good way to go too.

Trekking poles are great. Last fall I bought a pair, and my hunting partner made fun of me when I told him I planned to use them on our backpack elk hunt. An hour up the trail with a heavy pack on, and he was asking to borrow one :D

I was using my 1 ski pole and 1 hiking pole combo on this trip. You can collapse one and put it on your pack. I'm so freaking hardcore.

P1040340.jpg

Thanks for everyone's input. From the info, seemed an obvious purchase - just boiled down to what brand / type.

This is what I ended up with - a step down from GH's cat's ass type:
http://www.blackdiamondequipment.com/en-us/shop/mountain/trekking-poles/trail-shock-trekking-pole
FIRRD_D1.jpg

Went to REI and got sucked into the salesman's pitch between the "cats ass" Greenhorn type and the ones above...
GH's are sweet! Though the extra $50.- more $159 vs $109 was too tough a pill to take. Never thought I would spend more then a fallen tree branch for walking sticks though unfortunately, the ATV (4wd of course) and I didn't seperate on the best of terms... haha! Must have missed your atv course, Dink.
The Leki's were in the 150 range as well... Didn't see the stoney point type.

The specs on the one's purchased are:
•Weight: Per Pair: 1 lb 5.5 oz / 610 g
•Usable Length: 27-55" / 68-140 cm
•Collapsed Length: 27" / 68 cm

The cat's ass specs are:
•Weight: Per Pair: 1 lb 6 oz / 615 g
•Usable Length: 27.5-49" / 70-125 cm
•Collapsed Length: 24" / 62 cm
Spec's source from GH's post: http://www.moosejaw.com/moosejaw/sh...B22705618101&cm_sp=MyBuys-_-Footer-_-10187945

Why the extra $50? This is what it came down to in the decision ~ price - REI sales didn't really have an answer either...?

Oh and great info, T BONE! The wrist tethers changed the whole dynamics on the weight bearing aspect. The sales person passed on the same info.

Anyhow, thanks all :)

Back