Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

High Rental Market and what to do about it.

The military is hiring. Free room and board and food and college benefits.
I am a huge supporter of military personnel past and present, but predict that the numbers of people willing to sign up is going to hit a rough patch for a while. Things seem askew. I also have seen a lot of broken friends and family post military. Proud of their service and friendships, but did not come out all better on the other side. We need to SUPPORT our military PEOPLE, not the "industry" per se. Nothing more honorable than service but man it comes with costs, unrecognized by many. I did not serve. One of my big life regrets in some respects but NOT all. Thank you and all for your sacrifices, better men & women don't exist.

Print more money and hand it out.
Increase child tax credits to make sure that people that can’t afford to have children keep having them. This will also solve man-made climate change, by causing more future men who will contribute to climate change, who can help solve it.

Require all new homes to have rooftop solar and electrical vehicle chargers. This will increase the cost to build by $30,000, which means that the owners of the home will absorb that cost when they rent it out for less. Increase taxes on anybody who is a landlord or wealthy enough to be one. If the landlords have less money, they will not be able to invest in their properties as much, which will make their property worth less money, which will cause them to drop rents.

Lastly, we should build more affordable housing*. However, I’m going to the planning and zoning meeting tonight, to make sure that it’s not built anywhere near me.

-Affordable housing is defined as a place to live for a household that makes not less than $92,000, but not more than $334,500 annually, and will be required of all developers, who receive tax increment financing in excess of $750 million, to build at least one affordable housing unit, per 250 luxury condominiums receiving TIF Funds.

If the above doesn’t work, hire some government workers to study the problem and print some money. DUH

It's all supply and demand and income inequality.
Which means there's no solution.
I’ve been a bit confused.

Social security has been fear monguled as potentially running out due to my generation (millennial) and the next not having enough populous to pay in to it. While this is not a great thing, I always thought the upside to this would be that there should (in theory) eventually be an upswing in available homes/land as the boomers die.

I remember reading articles a few years ago predicting Arizona subdivisions could go near vacant as the current occupying generation dies off.

If an upswing in housing occurs, prices WILL fall if supply ever gets above demand again.

Did I miss something?

I agree with @neffa3 there is a crazy housing shortage, only getting worse as more people move to western areas. You cannot legislate this away and we cannot build our way out of it anytime soon.

The military is hiring. Free room and board and food and college benefits.
The gist of my inquiry is what should my Airborne Infantry stepson do when his enlistment is up? His GI bill $ will give him a start, but he went into the military to have more time to find his path. My great uncle was fortunate, He came home from world war II to the ranch and bought a relatives place and ranched on the knife edge between break even and poverty. Bought the First tractor to ship into town with his veterans preference.

Times are different now. That is for sure.

I’ve been a bit confused.

Social security has been fear monguled as potentially running out due to my generation (millennial) and the next not having enough populous to pay in to it. While this is not a great thing, I always thought the upside to this would be that there should (in theory) eventually be an upswing in available homes/land as the boomers die.

I remember reading articles a few years ago predicting Arizona subdivisions could go near vacant as the current occupying generation dies off.

If an upswing in housing occurs, prices WILL fall if supply ever gets above demand again.

Did I miss something?

I agree with @neffa3 there is a crazy housing shortage, only getting worse as more people move to western areas. You cannot legislate this away and we cannot build our way out of it anytime soon.
Possibly, but the market will also be bolstered by income inequality allowing multiple homes per person. SS is an easily solved problem was simply linking access to longevity.

We have three rentals in Kalispell and fortunately we have had good tenants, and I haven’t increased their rent. I consider them friends and my previous renters we still talk too. I built these properties myself over a 7 year period while working part time construction in the energy field. We never could have did it if I didn’t have the skills to build, the cost would have been too much for our budget. The rate of return on rentals if you own them out right (no mortgage) is around 10-12 %. We charge around a $1 per sq/ft. I worked my ass in the falls/winter trying to get them completed before my next field project.
When I travel for work I’m normally in the field for a months or throughput the construction season (5-6 months) I live in my Davis wall tent. Space rental is around $300-$400 per month and it’s a peaceful way to live, and allows me to save a majority of my per-diem.
For those considering moving to western Montana, don’t be surprised if your landlord wants to evict you next spring so they can vrbo their property. No are no rentals available and the builders can keep up, plus you will be paying through the nose compared to 10 years ago.
We got lucky with a 6-month winter rental in rural western Montana.

I suspect being a Alaskan home owner, retired, with excellent credit
helped convince the landlady that we would be reliable and respectful tenants.

Married means instant roommate. Plus with the finances (if the spouse has a job), negative is they are ALWAYS there. If you are young and struggling paying for a place to live, PLEASE wait to have kids. Those little roommates are financial blackholes. Money goes in and never comes out.

It's a rough market. I feel for those just starting out.
Hmmm I have to respectfully disagree on this. For one, you'll never end up having kids as your Mrs. will end up missing her window or you'll be 40 and think, I don't want to be 58 when my kid graduates. Second, you get tax breaks for having kids. Third, most insurances charge you the family rate once you add a spouse (not all but a lot do) so you may as well have the kids on there. True, there are costs associated (room and board for example) but don't go buying them entitled crap (phones, video games, etc.). And most importantly, having kids is one of the greatest joys you can experience, especially when they get old enough to go hunting with you. Get out of the cities and get a small piece of land and don't overbuild your home.

Hmmm I have to respectfully disagree on this. For one, you'll never end up having kids as your Mrs. will end up missing her window or you'll be 40 and think, I don't want to be 58 when my kid graduates. Second, you get tax breaks for having kids. Third, most insurances charge you the family rate once you add a spouse (not all but a lot do) so you may as well have the kids on there. True, there are costs associated (room and board for example) but don't go buying them entitled crap (phones, video games, etc.). And most importantly, having kids is one of the greatest joys you can experience, especially when they get old enough to go hunting with you. Get out of the cities and get a small piece of land and don't overbuild your home.
1) I’ll be 64 when my kid graduates, so yeah, downside. Upside is I have better tools in handling the emotional rollercoaster of children and more experience to pass on
2) tax breaks don’t come close to matching the cost of a kid. You either have to pay for childcare or one of you has to stay at home. Thereby reducing your income.
3) if your insurance charges you the family rate once you get married, you need to change insurance companies.

Having kids is a great joy but have to be honest as say it alternates between joy and frustration. People need to be emotionally ready for the experience. It takes a lot of patience and it will strain your marriage at times. 60% of marriages when people are 20-25 end in divorce. Given the number of Americans I see that can’t leave the house without an emotional support animal, I stand by my comment. Don’t have kids until you are financially ready.

1) I’ll be 64 when my kid graduates, so yeah, downside. Upside is I have better tools in handling the emotional rollercoaster of children and more experience to pass on
2) tax breaks don’t come close to matching the cost of a kid. You either have to pay for childcare or one of you has to stay at home. Thereby reducing your income.
3) if your insurance charges you the family rate once you get married, you need to change insurance companies.

Having kids is a great joy but have to be honest as say it alternates between joy and frustration. People need to be emotionally ready for the experience. It takes a lot of patience and it will strain your marriage at times. 60% of marriages when people are 20-25 end in divorce. Given the number of Americans I see that can’t leave the house without an emotional support animal, I stand by my comment. Don’t have kids until you are financially ready.
I think there are so many variables for every person starting a family there is no one size fits all for when the right time is. Not sure where finances rank but I know its not #1.

I think there are so many variables for every person starting a family there is no one size fits all for when the right time is. Not sure where finances rank but I know it’s not #1.
There are about 40million kids on Medicaid. That is about half of all kids in US. It should be #1 if you pay taxes.

I’m not getting ahead of anything but dang if I haven’t lived my best outdoor years in places that are truly amazing. It’s a balance.
This shouldn't be overlooked. There is value in spending your time when you are young actually living and enjoying the freedom that your health and family situation allow you. Marriage and Kids are great, but once you are married and have kids you no longer get to consider your happiness first, it has to go on the back burner. If you have to have 8 roommates in a 2br and get to live in Crested Butte and ski all winter and ride your mountain bike all summer then who gives a sh*t about much else. Take advantage of any 401k match provided by your employer so you don't have to start from zero in your mid 20's or early 30's and just live...

I love every one of my little tax deductions.and wish I had more. If you don't have at least three don't be surprised when you have to depend on someone who hates you for care when you're old and feeble.

I love every one of my little tax deductions.and wish I had more. If you don't have at least three don't be surprised when you have to depend on someone who hates you for care when you're old and feeble.
Is there any rationale to back up this statement? Why is three the magic number? Having kids for end of life care seems pretty selfish, but regardless, I have one and thats the farthest thing on my mind.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back