High Country Mule Deer Hunt

mr_steve

Well my friend Shayne and I just finished our big trip of the year, MT elk and WY antelope. Each year we are able to go on one big trip. Next year we have decided on a high country mule deer archery hunt. I'm thinking large bowls with no trees and lots of glassing style of hunting. We have gear to backpack in for a few days and will probably have 7 days of actual hunting available. We are physically fairly fit and looking for adventure. We have one point in both CO and WY. We will film the hunt so we need to be able to get permitting and also do not want a guide. We keep talking about going to AK but I think we are a couple years out from that. Not looking for anyones honey hole just a starting point such as a general area or mountain range so I can begin scouting and research. Growing up in ND we have no concept of high country so we are excited to give it a try! Thanks in advance for the insight. More than willing to share knowledge of our antelope and elk trips as well as ND hunting in exhange.

So the question is: What state or general area would you go on a high country mule deer archery hunt?

Thanks again for any information you're willing to share. I love hunting but planning/dreaming sure is a lot of fun too!

Last edited:
Any pics or story of your MT elk hunt his year?

If you already have bonus points started for WY and CO, I would put in for both of these states, as they both have some great mule deer hunting. Good luck.

Any pics or story of your MT elk hunt his year?

If you already have bonus points started for WY and CO, I would put in for both of these states, as they both have some great mule deer hunting. Good luck.

Here's the link to the recap of our hunt: http://onyourownadventures.com/hunttalk/showthread.php?t=260543

We are definitely leaning towards WY and CO. Sounds like we will need to treat it like we are getting ready for a marathon physically. We have hunted at 8,000 and had no issues but from what I read the 9,000 to 12,000 range can really kick your butt with how thin the air can be.

Big elevation isn't a total non issue, but don't let it intimidate you. Being fit is a great idea and valuable of course, but I presume you have a lot of "want to"--and that's what you need most.

196-194 Nevada late archery hunt its cold but awesome opens dec 1. Bucks are still rutting when the tag opens bad thing is its after the rifle.

196-194 Nevada late archery hunt its cold but awesome opens dec 1. Bucks are still rutting when the tag opens bad thing is its after the rifle.

Looks as though this is a pretty sweet unit when the deer migrate in. Tough odds though with 96 applicants and 2 tags for NR. Am I looking at this correct?

UPDATE: Looking closely at Colorado Unit 74 and Wyoming Region F. Can I draw 74 for 1st season archery as my second choice so I can gain a point? Looks like it is 100% if I use a point (correct me if I am wrong). Region F General looks like 100% draw. Can you draw this as your 2nd choice to remain gaining points? Is there decent high country opportunities in Region F? Open to other options but this is where I am at. Just not confident with my evaluation and understanding of the draw statistics, especially Colorado.

I was going to say G but didn't realize it went to 4 points.Use to be 2 points only a couple years back.There is some non-wilderness in region H you may want to research.The reduced tags in Wy. is really starting to kill my draw odds.I'm at 6 for deer/antelope and still can't draw my unit for deer in special draw.And one for elk did me no good for the general tag last year
Colorado has more high country options and some you WILL draw.If you really want to hunt region G, go in the special draw and spend the extra $200 in fees.You may get lucky.I think points went up last year because people were dumping there points worried about all the talk going on in wy about NR and tag allotment/pricing

Apply for dream units in CO, WY and ID (random draw) with your first choice, and realistic solid units with your second choice. That way you keep building your points towards something a little better, or you draw. And if you don't draw either, OTC in Idaho.

You get the entire month of September for archery deer and elk. Although you will be somewhat hard pressed to find good bucks in the wide open bowls. They will be close to cover, at least anything worth shooting and packing out of the high country. Some areas in Eastern Idaho have wide open high country, but I don't hunt over that way.

If you don't get it done in September, the same tag is good during rifle for 3 weeks from Oct 10th-Halloween. If that doesn't fit your schedule, some migration units are open for a few weeks in November. Again, all on the same tag. By then the deer are rutting in the low sage country (4000-6000 feet), without a tree in sight. Expect to see 100-200 deer and 20 bucks a day. The deeper the snow, colder the temps and the later in November the better. This late season would be my number 1 choice if I was a non-resident. Scouting is not really necessary and you will be doing 5-10 stalks a day without destroying your legs.

Back