High Country Hunt Knee Rehab

Hammsolo

I’m 2 weeks into knee construction rehab. I live in WA, and have hunts planned in other states for the later fall, so don’t tell me your feelings on Washington hunting. It’s where I live. The first hunt will be turkey and bear in the spring. I want to use spring bear to explore some new country. I’m looking at the early season high country mule deer hunt in the Pasayten Wilderness area. Anyone have any advice or experience?

Knee construction? What type of surgery, replacement or something else?

If replacement and 2 weeks in, you should be about to leap forward in mobility. Do rehab as they say, not more or less, do it. Once cleared start hiking and you'll be fine

Best of luck to you! I had ACL surgery in December 2017 and pray I never have to go through it again. This past year hunting was the first year where I didn’t end up thinking about my knee while hunting. I would recommend weight training and lots of isolated exercises focusing on the repaired leg. Single leg deadlifts, etc. try your best to have your focus be on that leg because I think you can subconsciously favor your good leg if you don’t. I still try to focus on my left side when lifting. Depending on what surgery you had, a spring bear hunt might be a little too ambitious IMO but only you know your body. To me, it wouldn’t be worth jeopardizing a fall 2021 hunt.
Good luck!

Best of luck to ya @Hammsolo, I limped through my Idaho hunt this past fall after my second left knee surgery 9 months prior. It basically just made things worse and now I’m schedule for TJR in March... I feel ya!

Oh and trekking poles made downhill a little less of a beotch this past year.

Knee construction? What type of surgery, replacement or something else?

If replacement and 2 weeks in, you should be about to leap forward in mobility. Do rehab as they say, not more or less, do it. Once cleared start hiking and you'll be fine
Acl, torn loose meniscus, and major bone spur removal. Thanks! Follow the experts.

Best of luck to ya @Hammsolo, I limped through my Idaho hunt this past fall after my second left knee surgery 9 months prior. It basically just made things worse and now I’m schedule for TJR in March... I feel ya!

Oh and trekking poles made downhill a little less of a beotch this past year.
Thanks! I got a Letter of Medical Need for trekking poles so that I can use my HSA account for poles. Which do you have?

I’m 2 weeks into knee construction rehab. I live in WA, and have hunts planned in other states for the later fall, so don’t tell me your feelings on Washington hunting. It’s where I live. The first hunt will be turkey and bear in the spring. I want to use spring bear to explore some new country. I’m looking at the early season high country mule deer hunt in the Pasayten Wilderness area. Anyone have any advice or experience?
Keep us advised on your recovery and what works best, I have a total replacement scheduled in 2 weeks.

It's great country. But despite the lore regarding this hunt it is extremely unproductive. A success rate of 11% in 2019, 8% in 2018. A shit load of guys get packed in, all the stuff within 5 miles of the roads/trailheads will be full. I think @teej89 hunting it this last year, he might offer some thoughts. I've heard stories of 2-points for days... though I do know a couple of guys that pull nice bucks out each year. They're ridiculously secretive about it. I think there are more productive hunts in the WA mts, with better scenery.

Thanks! I got a Letter of Medical Need for trekking poles so that I can use my HSA account for poles. Which do you have?

My HSA paid for my second pair (I already had a set of aluminum (Black Diamonds) but I REALLY like my Foxelli carbon poles!

They’re on sale right now on Amazon 👍🏻

It's great country. But despite the lore regarding this hunt it is extremely unproductive. A success rate of 11% in 2019, 8% in 2018. A shit load of guys get packed in, all the stuff within 5 miles of the roads/trailheads will be full. I think @teej89 hunting it this last year, he might offer some thoughts. I've heard stories of 2-points for days... though I do know a couple of guys that pull nice bucks out each year. They're ridiculously secretive about it. I think there are more productive hunts in the WA mts, with better scenery.

Haha yeah I spent every weekend from end of July to September scouting (leaving after work and setting camp in the dark) and ended up empty handed BUT we got scurried outta our spot because of the smoke. Ended up in pasayten (east side) and I've never seen so many people in my life. 50+ trucks at one trail head and passed 20 people walking out. Horses, mules, llamas, outfits you name it.

It's not an easy hunt, the pack in to where I was scouting was a whammy. Wet and tangled in brush was the story of every scouting trip ha!

That being said though I said a ton of fun scouting and learning a lot. Got in some great alpine fishing and ate more huckleberries than a normal person could in one year.

Keep us advised on your recovery and what works best, I have a total replacement scheduled in 2 weeks.
So far. Stick to the schedule with meds, icing, stretching, and exercises. Do not act tough, which I’m notorious for. I was raised to not share and to minimize. Don’t be afraid to ask questions. Start firing those quads ASAP. Listen to your knee, but remember shit is numb and pain is telling you a story.

I have a decent place to hunt regular season. I want to extend my short ass season as a modern rifle hunter. Any other hints are appreciated. I’m not trying to avoid research on the computer or on the hoof. Thanks!

Haha yeah I spent every weekend from end of July to September scouting (leaving after work and setting camp in the dark) and ended up empty handed BUT we got scurried outta our spot because of the smoke. Ended up in pasayten (east side) and I've never seen so many people in my life. 50+ trucks at one trail head and passed 20 people walking out. Horses, mules, llamas, outfits you name it.

It's not an easy hunt, the pack in to where I was scouting was a whammy. Wet and tangled in brush was the story of every scouting trip ha!

That being said though I said a ton of fun scouting and learning a lot. Got in some great alpine fishing and ate more huckleberries than a normal person could in one year.
Appreciate the info, and impressed with the work ethic. Last year I put down up to 15 miles in a day, and love working hard. That sounds disheartening. I like the idea of wilderness hunting... I grew up in Montana with no real support. The tactic to killing elk was being willing to work harder a mind go where others were u willing to go. Hmmm... the work continues.

So far. Stick to the schedule with meds, icing, stretching, and exercises. Do not act tough, which I’m notorious for. I was raised to not share and to minimize. Don’t be afraid to ask questions. Start firing those quads ASAP. Listen to your knee, but remember shit is numb and pain is telling you a story.
What’d they use to replace your ACL? Patella, hamstring, or cadaver? Mine was very similar 3 years ago, ACL and meniscus tear. They used my part of my patella tendon. I’ll never forget at PT one day probably 2 months post surgery I still had a little limp and fair amount of pain and in walks a guy who had his surgery a week ago walking around like nothing happened. His was a hamstring replacement though. Sounds like you have the right mind set though. Ice, elevate, and repeat and try to minimize swelling.

Mine was taken from my hamstring. The reason I did was that it’s supposed to be better for arthritic knees. I hope you’re doing better now.

Tore my left acl in 1995 when I was 25 and couldn’t get it fixed for a couple years. During that time it would repeatedly buckle on me. My job was in the woods so I had no income when not working. Didn’t rehab like I should have so after a month and a half I went back to work too soon and that caused other issues that sucked for a while. Then 2007, tore my right acl and took the rehab serious and never had a problem. Fast forward to 2010, I had left knee pain. Was told I need a new knee but only 40 and not old enough. Been dealing with pain management for the last 10 years. One of these days I’ll do the Total knee replacement. Moral of the story for me is take the rehab serious. When it starts feeling good, don’t quit and keep working hard.

I had a cadaver ACL installed along with a partial meniscectomy on April 1 2016. I followed the PT very closely and was aggressive (under my doctors supervision) with my rehab. I had two steep hillside home construction projects going and it wasn't long before I was limping my way up down the stairs and slope to keep an eye on things. I trout fished (gingerly) a rugged Northern CA river after about 7 weeks with the brace on. I started hiking pretty regularly after that. It seemed like I really hit my stride at about 6 months. I was backpack hunting Colorado 2nd season with zero pain or restriction (this was at about 6.5 months). I would say no problem for your deer hunt and plan on not being full strength for the spring bear but still be able to get around. Good luck with the rehab. It starts getting better pretty quickly now.

I have a decent place to hunt regular season. I want to extend my short ass season as a modern rifle hunter. Any other hints are appreciated. I’m not trying to avoid research on the computer or on the hoof. Thanks!
It's not about working harder on WA. It's about finding bucks. I'd love to offer more hints but I didn't see a single deer during the high hunt this last year after spotting a nice buck in the same spot last year. I would focus below tree line.

One of my best deer season was while I was recovering from a broken leg, shot a stud of a buck that year and broke my foot, on the same leg, right after hunting season was over! Good luck

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back