High altitude fire starter?

lifesupport4u

What do you guys carry for starting fires at high altitude? I would like a wind proof butane torch style lighter but most of those say they don't work at high altitude.

I would like something that works up to tree line in CO and that could work well in wet weather.

Just your basic grocery store lighter... had no problem getting stoves going at 14k in CO.

Reactions: trb
Bic,matches in waterproof safe,cotton/lint in Vasiline in film can, & the Mag/Striker/Steel Starter......it will always work,in any weather,any altitude...well up to 15k so far.

If your belly button does not produce lint from old T-Shirts ........you can use dryer lint in a pinch.

Once again too many grownups trying to earn a merit badge.. Nothing beats a road flare for an emergency fire.

If you're just lighting a fire to keep warm while breaking down a big stinky bull.. Bic lighter and triox. But I'd still use a road flare.

Try using UCO Stormproof matches. They are windproof, waterproof, and will light after being submerged in water. They burn for 15 seconds. Also, Instafire fire starter is a granular fire starter that burns at 1000 degrees and lights wet wood. Burns for 15 minutes, and a pile of it will even burn on water, snow, and ice. Between the two of them, you should have Smokey the Bear looking to kick your butt. Everyone probably is well equipped for the belly button lint idea, but I wouldn't waste the whiskey on starting the fire.

My Talisker will never be used to light a fire... if it came to that I would just freeze with a warm belly.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back