Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Hiding cameras

If they're cutting down the trees and taking the wood then I'll assume they are in a vehicle. I would be hiding some cattle trops or stop sticks along their routes of access. Spray paint them brown and green, or dig a shallow trench that you cover with leaf litter. Mark the road in a way that you know where they are. If you use the stop sticks or homemade version, take some earth anchors for trapping to keep one end in place.

I had several cameras stolen by poachers and general shitbags who were coming onto our property. They destroyed 1 trail cam but left it only because they couldn't remove the cable. I hot glued the case back together and used it as a sacrificial camera to hopefully catch them again. I started getting some rigid foam and shaping it around the trailcam. Then paint it and hot glued some bark on it. Placed them high in a tree looking down onto a trail. It looked better than a box strapped to a tree. I was able to get trespassing and vandalism charges places on a couple of the areas well known lowlifes. I also began placing 2 cameras in the same area with them facing towards each other. They didn't expect 2 cameras in the same area, so I had video evidence of them taking one. This was much better than circumstantial evidence of them being in the area. With the $ amount being over $500 for the multiple cameras that were stolen or destroyed, the got hooked up on felony vandalism charges. (y)

Another route is if you place your cameras in trees that aren't likely to be cut down for wood. A patch of saplings will conceal a well disguised camera, or rotted stump if you can chisel out a cavity for the camera and screw it in place, covering all but the lens and sensor openings with the original bark.

Good luck, I hope you're able to catch these a-holes and save your cameras.

Attachments

• 1609255087697.png
    1609255087697.png
    37.4 KB · Views: 6
  • 1609255467896.png
    1609255467896.png
    413.3 KB · Views: 6
If they're cutting down the trees and taking the wood then I'll assume they are in a vehicle. I would be hiding some cattle trops or stop sticks along their routes of access. Spray paint them brown and green, or dig a shallow trench that you cover with leaf litter. Mark the road in a way that you know where they are. If you use the stop sticks or homemade version, take some earth anchors for trapping to keep one end in place.
That's Edward Abbey approved, right there!

I had several cameras stolen by poachers and general shitbags who were coming onto our property. They destroyed 1 trail cam but left it only because they couldn't remove the cable. I hot glued the case back together and used it as a sacrificial camera to hopefully catch them again. I started getting some rigid foam and shaping it around the trailcam. Then paint it and hot glued some bark on it. Placed them high in a tree looking down onto a trail. It looked better than a box strapped to a tree. I was able to get trespassing and vandalism charges places on a couple of the areas well known lowlifes. I also began placing 2 cameras in the same area with them facing towards each other. They didn't expect 2 cameras in the same area, so I had video evidence of them taking one. This was much better than circumstantial evidence of them being in the area. With the $ amount being over $500 for the multiple cameras that were stolen or destroyed, the got hooked up on felony vandalism charges. (y)

Another route is if you place your cameras in trees that aren't likely to be cut down for wood. A patch of saplings will conceal a well disguised camera, or rotted stump if you can chisel out a cavity for the camera and screw it in place, covering all but the lens and sensor openings with the original bark.

Good luck, I hope you're able to catch these a-holes and save your cameras.
Unless it is public land in which case you could be causing damage to people who are simply accessing the area. You would be liable for the damages. In addition, if your booby trap were to cause personal injury even if it is on private property you would likely be liable. It is generally illegal to set booby traps that are capable of causing injury in your home much less on open fields. In which case, the dirtbags might end up owning your land.

Unless it is public land in which case you could be causing damage to people who are simply accessing the area. You would be liable for the damages. In addition, if your booby trap were to cause personal injury even if it is on private property you would likely be liable. It is generally illegal to set booby traps that are capable of causing injury in your home much less on open fields. In which case, the dirtbags might end up owning your land.
You're not liable for someone's injury who knowingly trespasses on your property. Stop sticks and cattle trops are for the stopping of vehicles, not personnel booby traps, just like gates, posts, or barricades. If it's your property, and marked/posted accordingly, then you can have just about whatever you want on it. No tax stamp required.

You're not liable for someone's injury who knowingly trespasses on your property. Stop sticks and cattle trops are for the stopping of vehicles, not personnel booby traps, just like gates, posts, or barricades. If it's your property, and marked/posted accordingly, then you can have just about whatever you want on it. No tax stamp required.
My mistake I thought it said stop sticks for deflating tires. As for liability for damage or injury I believe you are behind on case law and if you are going to set booby traps I would suggest a very good civil attorney on retainer. As I said you can’t legally booby trap your house with something to cause injury. For example, a shotgun set up to go off if someone broke in a door. Again, on open land this would be impossible to legally justify. But to each his own

Need some in Put on hiding cameras from two legged wood thieves? If they see them they will destroy them everytime. I think I need a concealment expert .
I've had two cameras stolen, and it's disheartening to say the least. I've found that camera placement can be pretty problematic, as if you have any branches or grass in front of it, the wind will set it off and give you a 1000 videos or pics of the branches blowing around. To conceal it, I've brushed the camera in with branches from nearby trees when possible. You have to get in the head of the person that might be showing up, and whether they are thinking of looking for a camera? If they are, there's a good chance they'll see it. Otherwise, they may ignore it. I know there are also really tiny cameras available that are so small, you'd never see them, but don't know how well they work?

Go low or high. Avoid 4-8 feet. Using climbing sticks to put it up, then remove them. Use rubber contact, cement on the camera and then roll it in dirt, duff, bark, etc. Paint your straps so you don't have solid horizontal lines. Avoid side profiles of the camera where you can help it.

I hang my cameras over 10' and I don't use straps. I believe they can see the straps and the straps put off scent. Last camera set was near a big city and I got pictures of 3 different people one looks to look right at camera. I painted cameras with spray paint and no they don't void warranty, I called manufacturer before painting.

Attachments

• PICT0059.JPG
    PICT0059.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 25
  • PICT0018.JPG
    PICT0018.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 25
  • PICT0001.JPG
    PICT0001.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 25
We put 5 behind our elementary school to get pictures for the teachers to use in class for the kids. Awesome program that is a HUGE hit. But some dirtbag stole 3 of them. We will replace them.

Tell that to these kids...

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gcporteous
Back