Hiding cameras

Mule man

Need some in Put on hiding cameras from two legged wood thieves? If they see them they will destroy them everytime. I think I need a concealment expert .

Good luck. If they want em they will destroy em. Unfortunately its become a thing. Sometimes it's other hunters, sometimes its the anti hunters and sometimes it's just random. The biggest problem is good camera placement typically does not lend itself to hiding the camera from other humans.

I don’t use cameras but hunt with people that do. I know even on private they use a tree stick or two to get up out of normal view and place the camera at an angle. You don’t get as good of a picture but can still figure out what’s going on. It seems most thieves are opportunistic and that will deter quite a bit. If someone really wants it they are going to get it either way

I usually set mine above eye level in the 10-15 ft range in a tree near some type of fork or weird feature in a tree or just above some mountain laurel. It's not the best for photos but it does help with the thieves and bears. It just gets the cam out of line of sight but this is in the thicker eastern forest.
It's best if the cam is camo also maybe some camo tape to help break the outline and so forth. They are also locked to the tree with metal cable.

I usually set mine above eye level in the 10-15 ft range in a tree near some type of fork or weird feature in a tree or just above some mountain laurel. It's not the best for photos but it does help with the thieves and bears. It just gets the cam out of line of sight but this is in the thicker eastern forest.
It's best if the cam is camo also maybe some camo tape to help break the outline and so forth. They are also locked to the tree with metal cable.
The problem I have had hanging in a tree is I get 100's of pics of limbs or leaves when the wind comes up

I want to say there was another thread on here somewhere. Someone hid one in the cavity of a decaying tree. If your trying to catch someone, the camera has to be a little higher than eye level and super stealth.

Have you thought about a setup that has the metal box and cablelock? I purchased a couple covert cameras probably 9 years ago with that set up and have never had one messed with, and this was after loosing 2 cam's on public land. To get them they would have to lug bolt cutters with them.

Have you thought about a setup that has the metal box and cablelock? I purchased a couple covert cameras probably 9 years ago with that set up and have never had one messed with, and this was after loosing 2 cam's on public land. To get them they would have to lug bolt cutters with them.
I think if they know there on camera there gonna come back and cut it down. To the op are the theiving pos coming in on foot or vehichle?

Higher or lower than eye level, if set near the ground consider burying basically everything except sensor and lens. If you have one that will do time lapse and not just triggered photos then you can bury even more of it. I also don’t trust any of my cams without a metal box and cable lock

We have the best and greatest cables ETC. as far AS we no with metal boxes. We are dealing with druggies at 2 in the morning through daylight. Day time as well of course

I think if they know there on camera there gonna come back and cut it down. To the op are the theiving pos coming in on foot or vehichle?
Cutting trees and selling the wood. I have 40,000 acres to cover

I spray paint my cams and hang them using bailing wire. I always felt like something in the woods that is one sid color never blends in and a strap or cable going around a tree always seems to be a dead giveaway to the location. I’m not sure if painting some of the cameras voids warranty or not so something to consider. Rust oleum flat khaki and flat brown, no lines just squirts and light sprays. Good luck

This is what stops me from investing in game cameras. I want to use them but I have read so much about thefts and vandalism to them that I am now hesitant. I would like to see how many antelope are watering at a watering hole I found and would have to mount it to a post I would put in the ground. It would be in the open to two legged critters to see.

If its somewhere you get cell service you can pick up cellular trail cams pretty reasonable and have it send you videos and pics either thru email or text then you would know when they are there or if they damage it or take it hopefully you Get a pic of them

If its somewhere you get cell service you can pick up cellular trail cams pretty reasonable and have it send you videos and pics either thru email or text then you would know when they are there or if they damage it or take it hopefully you Get a pic of them
In my case, I get cellular coverage in area where I antelope hunt but not where I hunt elk. That is a thought. Maybe post two of them facing each other that sends the images to a cloud drive on the internet.

I've heard of guys putting fake antennas on regular cameras so at least the thieves think that you're going to get a pick of their ugly mug by messing with your camera. I don't have any personal experience to help.

I would probably check into buying some type of undercover surveillance cameras in this case that can be ran on battery supply that could be buried or hidden away from the actual camera. Sure Amazon has some types.

In my experience, the majority of trail cameras that are stolen are placed on water that is close to roads (cattle tanks) and well known water sources (labeled on onX). Try getting a bit more creative with placement. You'll have to do a bit more work up front, but it can pay off. Do some bushwhacking away from a road and trail and look for unmarked water sources with sign around them, game trails, scrapes, bedding areas, and mineral sites. You'd be surprised how close to a road you can be but also away from the notice of thieving eyes. Also, check if it is legal to do in your area, but making your own salt lick can be productive during the summer.

Back