Hey MT, will this make any difference?

Your only issue with Forstag is the D in front of his name...if it was R, you would be out campaigning for him.

Must be difficult to be so entrenched by Party that you have to make excuses for not voting for someone that aligns on issues that seem to be of high importance to you.

Forstag checks a lot of boxes that matter to me professionally and personally.
It is really funny how much a smart guy like you can know about everybody else and be so certain of it. What a crystal ball you must have!
 
It is really funny how much a smart guy like you can know about everybody else and be so certain of it. What a crystal ball you must have!
Pretty easy to see what values you put on the back burner when there's an R in front of the name vs D.

If I beat the bible, would be pretty tough to put my values aside to vote for a convicted felon who is a liar, adulterous, cheat...for example.

Those would be issues that would sway my vote and be hard to overcome...just sayin'.
 
I would consider my self an independent but conservative. The republicans haven’t done a lot of positive for Montana lately. I hope we see some changes. Bodner seems like a no brainer Alme won’t even address public lands.
 
I get it, Hunttalk is agree with Buzz or don’t say anything.

That’s a real good barometer of tolerance. Like or dislike Aaron Flint, he can’t sell or trade public land without a considerable backing from a constituency that isn’t going to back him!

I’m one of those, I would not support any public land sell out at any cost.

I’m also not a single issue voter enough to see the baggage that Forstag brings, is not enough to offset his supposed position on public lands.
I agree - and appreciate the alternate thought.

Like or dislike Aaron Flint, he can’t sell or trade public land without a considerable backing from a constituency that isn’t going to back him!
I do not agree with this - though. First, theres simply nothing stopping a congressman from doing something against the interests/preferences of his constituents. Secondly, polling shows a big majority of Montanans dont have interest in transferring federal land to state ownership. Yet its literally in the GOP party platform. Normal - sane people - that would prefer to vote gop need write them that this isnt acceptable.

I think there would be plenty of outrage, but the risk is pretty low - i think someone would mull that over (especially if theres some sort of benefit to him) and if he can get elected again after doing it (not a reach when bernie and aoc are campaigning for the other guy in MT) - why not?

P.s. if you think state ownership of whats now federal land is a good idea - i present you with the muddlings of the landboard + of course some lobbyi$ts.

 
I would consider my self an independent but conservative. The republicans haven’t done a lot of positive for Montana lately. I hope we see some changes. Bodner seems like a no brainer Alme won’t even address public lands.
No - he doesnt have to. He can probably win again if he shat on them - and is currently weighing the options.
 
I cant read minds, but I sure as shit can read the most obvious of sign.
I will bargain with you right now. I will say that Forstag will not win that seat and it will be Aaron Flint. And if I’m right and he starts anything that even looks like it’s an attack on public land I will rally with you and everybody else in that regard against that kind of activity
 
I will bargain with you right now. I will say that Forstag will not win that seat and it will be Aaron Flint. And if I’m right and he starts anything that even looks like it’s an attack on public land I will rally with you and everybody else in that regard against that kind of activity
If I were voting for Flint, I would demand he publicly oppose PLT and the Republican Party platform supporting same. If he refused, sorry Jack my vote will go elsewhere.

Being proactive works wayyyyyy better than being reactive.

For the record, I shouldn't have to bargain with you to rally against any politician that wants to transfer public lands, no matter their affiliation.
 
Last edited:
This is exactly my point and frustration. We live in a system where candidates cannot have ideas/views/policies that do not align with whatever the national Dem or GOP party is doing it seems.

Ditto regarding NRA, just heard an ad on the radio for Alme the other day propping Alme up and the whole ad was about the NRA's F rating for Bodnar. LOL.
Not entirely true. Candiates can differ from party, but they are going to be painted a certain way by the opponent. A lot of voters (I would almost say 'most') are most comfortable when they have an enemy. Gotta have someone to blame. Candidates have to either create hate or fear of the other to get a vote. It works, so they keep doing it.
...until we elect folks that are accountable only to their constituents and not to party leaders and donors our country will never heal.
That is an odd way to put it. Might want to change that to "until we hold elected folks accountable". I'm ready to start healing.
 
If I were voting for Flint, I would demand he publicly oppose PLT and the Republican Party platform supporting same. If he refused, sorry Jack my vote will go elsewhere.

Being proactive works wayyyyyy better than being reactive.

For the record, I shouldn't have to bargain with you to rally against any politician that wants to transfer public lands, no matter their affiliation.

I'd much rather have a representative who I believe will support LWCF acquisitions than a representative that I worry would gut the program.

The attacks by public land opponents have a much broader scale than just state or private land transfer.
 
Not entirely true. Candiates can differ from party, but they are going to be painted a certain way by their opponent party. A lot of voters (I would almost say 'most') are most comfortable when they have an enemy. Gotta have someone to blame. Candidates have to either create hate or fear of the other to get a vote. It works, so they keep doing it.
FIFY.

Thomas Massie comes to mind. Agrees with Trump and most Republicans/ "Conservatives" (is that even a thing anymore?) on probably 90% of issues, got totally steamrolled with AIPAC opponent and Trump last election for speaking his mind over national debt and the BBB and not falling into line when asked by Trump and the GOP. Bernie Sanders also comes to mind back in 2016 primaries.
 
FIFY.

Thomas Massie comes to mind. Agrees with Trump and most Republicans/ "Conservatives" (is that even a thing anymore?) on probably 90% of issues, got totally steamrolled with AIPAC opponent and Trump last election for speaking his mind over national debt and the BBB and not falling into line when asked by Trump and the GOP. Bernie Sanders also comes to mind back in 2016 primaries.
Blaming party is a little too conspiracy theorish for me. Neither party is that organized. Most of the painting is done by PACs and the parties actually have little say in what goes out.

Massie is really a libertarian. He just happened to hold to his ideological principals. That’s the thing about a cult, you have to turn those individualistic ideas in at the door when you check in.

Sanders is a true socialist and most Dems are not. That is why he didn’t win. Kind of different.
 
Blaming party is a little too conspiracy theorish for me. Neither party is that organized. Most of the painting is done by PACs and the parties actually have little say in what goes out.

Massie is really a libertarian. He just happened to hold to his ideological principals. That’s the thing about a cult, you have to turn those individualistic ideas in at the door when you check in.

Sanders is a true socialist and most Dems are not. That is why he didn’t win. Kind of different.
I agree with the last 2 paragraphs.

But FFS, do you honestly believe that?
 
I agree with the last 2 paragraphs.

But FFS, do you honestly believe that?
That parties don't have as much influence as people believe? Yes. Certainly not as much influence as PACs just buying ads. But I admit it is complicated topic. Very much a chicken/egg question. Do you think either party selected candidates you hear about in the news like Graham Platner, Bo French, or even Ken Paxton? It just shows the disfunction. If there is a cabal, the leaders are not going to be faces of the parties. Maybe The Federalist Society is about as close as you can get.

Reality, the Democrats are an organizational mess. Shockingly, the broad-tent party that lets in everyone ends up arguing amongst itself more than not and fails to have a cohesive and consistent message. The Republican party looks completely different than it did 40 yrs ago. The party of fiscal conservatism and small government is building ball rooms, arches, and helipads. Now people have to either go along with all the stupid BS or leave the party.
 
And if I’m right and he starts anything that even looks like it’s an attack on public land I will rally with you and everybody else in that regard against that kind of activity

And that's where this sort of thing always falls apart. The risk assessment of any particular action from governments or NGOs who pull strings. How do we convince these people that by the time something "looks like its an attack on public land," it's too late? Where's the goofball who started that "relax, it's going to be okay" thread? He was suspiciously quiet during the land sale debacle awhile ago. Busy with a mouthful of crow, I'm sure.

Some folks didn't develop their government-threat-assessment faculties during the days of GWOT and it shows. Vigilance, people, vigilance. The threat never goes away.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
120,172
Messages
2,252,197
Members
39,106
Latest member
wkshaw
Back
Top