Yeti GOBOX Collection

Hey guys-Montana 270 buck

CabinetBulls

Hello again everyone. I posted a question about the 270-50 tag back in 17, and haven’t gotten back on here lately. During that hunting season I bought a piece of land and started logging it and clearing a spot to build a house. I took last year off from hunting and from anything else that wasn’t building my house. I have more time on my hands now that I’m done and I would like to share the results of that hunt, as after reading back through it that’s what I should do.

Back in my first post, there were some people who weren’t too happy that my first post was asking for info on a hunt, and I get it, but wasn’t well versed in the etiquette of online forums. So I apologize for that and for not getting back on here and sharing until now, I’ve just been crazy busy.

Anyway, 270-50 is a great area to get a mule deer buck tag. I chose not to go down there in early September due to the visibility limits of the smoke from all of the fires in 2017, so my first hunt there was opening weekend of rifle. I met some nice folks while hunting there, and saw some bucks that were very difficult to pass up, but the rut was just getting going so I figured it would only get better. The first 3 days we saw over 100 bucks, it was like a dream come true for a guy who is lucky to see 20 a year where I live. Most bucks were in the 140-160 range, and they were harassing does opening weekend. We went back home and due to work couldn’t get back down for 2 weeks. It was November 10th when we got back down there and we figured the rut would be in full swing, but we were surprised to see less rut activity that the first trip. We covered a ton of country and saw lots of deer, but it wasn’t quite the same in the areas we hit the first time. We branched out to a couple new spots and found the action again, and in those 4 days we probably saw 120+ bucks. I ended up finding one that got my heart pumping and that gave me that old familiar adrenaline rush that we are all after. I spotted a different buck first and was trying to get a better glimpse of him as he worked up some timber on the edge of a burn, but never could see exactly what he was. There were bucks everywhere in the burn and I was glassing different bucks every 10 seconds. Finally one came out of a small draw that I couldn’t see into, and as soon as I saw him I knew he was one I wanted. I switched from the binos to my rifle and layed down across my backpack. I ranged him at about 275, and I had my crosshairs on him. I was so excited by this point that I had to look away from my scope and take a few deep breaths. I got back on him in short order and fired. He staggered about 10 feet forward and dropped. I was thrilled walking up on him, and my hunt was over. This deer gave me everything I was looking for, and I was very thankful. I have hunted in quite a few places throughout Idaho and Montana, but had never been lucky enough to experience something like hunting there. It was everything I had hoped for, and I’ll be putting in for the tag once again for many years to come in hopes of getting lucky again.

Attachments

• C608CF45-DB6B-4237-B06F-0EA5D92F0BF6.jpeg
    C608CF45-DB6B-4237-B06F-0EA5D92F0BF6.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 330
  • 6F7565E4-9592-4F43-83FD-6195ED22E262.jpeg
    6F7565E4-9592-4F43-83FD-6195ED22E262.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 317
Very nice buck. Thanks for posting your story, most people don't follow up after "not asking for honey holes" type posts.

beautiful buck! Congrats. Good timing, apps are due in 2 days. This post/pics reminded me to apply. Me, both kids and better half all threw in for 270-50. Thanks for the heads up!

beautiful buck! Congrats. Good timing, apps are due in 2 days. This post/pics reminded me to apply. Me, both kids and better half all threw in for 270-50. Thanks for the heads up!
I’m in the mix again myself... good luck

That's a sweet buck! Hope you can shoot another one even bigger.

Thank you... there were definitely bigger ones there, but like I said he checked all the boxes for me

Back