Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

He's Not Dangerous, He's Just a Kid

Was actually thinking about this in the hypothetical, if someone makes credible threats, but hasn’t done anything how do you arrest or charge them. What if no threats are made but there is compelling evidence the we’re planning something.

Not sure what I think would be my answer.

Seems like mass shooting need to be treated more like terrorists acts and fall under those sets of laws and procedures.

Was actually thinking about this in the hypothetical, if someone makes credible threats, but hasn’t done anything how do you arrest or charge them. What if no threats are made but there is compelling evidence the we’re planning something.

Not sure what I think would be my answer.

Seems like mass shooting need to be treated more like terrorists acts and fall under those sets of laws and procedures.

I feel all threats have to be taken for face value and investigated. But how many times does someone get pissed and say, "I'll kill the SOB". Is that a real threat? Maybe the mother should have gotten counseling for the kid to determine his true intent. There could be other warning signs that have not been disclosed. It's a tough call for sure. The wrong choice could be devastating.

I think, Too many times though a family member cant accept that there may be a problem and tries to protect the loved one.

I once followed the tracks of an ATV from a crime scene, on fresh snow, to "Little Johnny's" house where he lived with a sister and his parents. No one had been in or out of the house since the snow, except for Little Johnny (age 16), who was still wearing the boots that had made the tracks at the crime scene, and lead from the ATV to his front door. When I went to the door and told Mom what Little Johnny had done, and that I had followed his tracks to where we were standing, she began screaming obscenities at me. She refused to believe anything I told her even when I pointed out the tracks, and boots. She was a well respected professional woman in town. She simply would not believe that her Little Johnny would do anything wrong. I observed such behavior too many times over my career.

I once followed the tracks of an ATV from a crime scene, on fresh snow, to "Little Johnny's" house where he lived with a sister and his parents. No one had been in or out of the house since the snow, except for Little Johnny (age 16), who was still wearing the boots that had made the tracks at the crime scene, and lead from the ATV to his front door. When I went to the door and told Mom what Little Johnny had done, and that I had followed his tracks to where we were standing, she began screaming obscenities at me. She refused to believe anything I told her even when I pointed out the tracks, and boots. She was a well respected professional woman in town. She simply would not believe that her Little Johnny would do anything wrong. I observed such behavior too many times over my career.

I wish this surprised me but it doesn't. My wife and I spent 12 years working with teenage and young adults in our church and this behavior was common as well. There were times when when we, our another leader, witnessed something directly and the parent would choose to believe the lying kid.

I feel like I'm almost too young to rant about "in my day..." some I'm only 32, but it's hard to ignore the lack of personal responsibly, either taken by the individual or assigned by their parents, at times.

It’s always hard to like/trust the guy that makes his living cruising around, robbing people of $75 freedom points at a time for not having their cloth strap over their shoulder while operating their horseless carriage, or this sheep’s favorite new rule “aggravated use of an electronic device”.

I wonder what kinda work went/goes on behind the scenes on something like this. I.e. meetings with principals/teachers before they decide to roll on that bust.

Last edited:
Reading thru the comments on the article, there are some very stark differences in peoples thoughts. I am glad someone intervened, but slightly disturbed on how much of our communications are being monitored by the Gov. I would hope someone turned him in and they did not get the threat from some key word algorithm watching what we post.

None the less, I hope when these cases get adjudicated the kid gets a fair shake with the totality of circumstances by the court. Getting a felony on your record at such a young age will scar you for the rest of your life and your folks lives until you move out. Imagine if it was your kid and he got a felony at 15. That gun safe you have down stairs with all of your beloved rifles in, the pistol you keep in your bedroom to protect your family are subject to his felony. How nice will it be when Jonny law shows up and you are told you cannot have them because he is not allowed to be in possession of a gun and living in the same house means he could have possession.

It’s always hard to like/trust the guy that makes his living cruising around, robbing people of $75 freedom points at a time for not having their cloth strap over their shoulder while operating their horseless carriage, or this sheep’s favorite new rule “aggravated use of an electronic device”.

I wonder what kinda work went/goes on behind the scenes on something like this. I.e. meetings with principals/teachers before they decide to roll on that bust.
Maybe that “sheep” (Shepard) is tired of seeing brains steaming on the guardrail at a few offenders accident location or an open phone with a half typed text at the scene of a fatal accident. I pretty much don’t care if someone uses their seatbelt but I do think it is selfish to expect the first responder to clean up your brains from the windshield, dashboard, roadway etc. or take the life of another because of a text while driving. As to the OP post I didn’t watch it. As to First responders, they don’t even have to witness these things personally. They can just be exposed to the details by a pouring out of emotions of a co-worker. When it’s that raw it is difficult to not absorb it. Not that I personally know anything about it. Sorry for the hijack...

Last edited:
Let's not get carried away from the OP.

I think it's a good thing what they did hoping they interrogate and have a professional analyze the mental stability of the child. If they do chase these threats, yeah 1 in 1,000,000 may be real threats but the money and time spent are worth the lives saved in my opinion. Also if kids making these threats realize they're being watched these fake threats may start to dwindle away knowing the consequences of their actions.

I think the fake threats are made to "seem cool" or "get attention" and they should be evaluated as real threats that were not brought to fruition because obviously the kid needs help if he's seeking such attention.

Reading thru the comments on the article, there are some very stark differences in peoples thoughts. I am glad someone intervened, but slightly disturbed on how much of our communications are being monitored by the Gov. I would hope someone turned him in and they did not get the threat from some key word algorithm watching what we post.

None the less, I hope when these cases get adjudicated the kid gets a fair shake with the totality of circumstances by the court. Getting a felony on your record at such a young age will scar you for the rest of your life and your folks lives until you move out. Imagine if it was your kid and he got a felony at 15. That gun safe you have down stairs with all of your beloved rifles in, the pistol you keep in your bedroom to protect your family are subject to his felony. How nice will it be when Jonny law shows up and you are told you cannot have them because he is not allowed to be in possession of a gun and living in the same house means he could have possession.

From what I've read he made the comment on a video game chat of some sort and someone listening turned him in.

Maybe that “sheep” (Shepard) is tired of seeing brains steaming on the guardrail at a few offenders accident location or an open phone with a half typed text at the scene of a fatal accident. I pretty much don’t care if someone uses their seatbelt but I do think it is selfish to expect the first responder to clean up your brains from the windshield, dashboard, roadway etc. or take the life of another because of a text while driving. As to the OP post I didn’t watch it. As to First responders, they don’t even have to witness these things personally. They can just be exposed to the details by a pouring out of emotions of a co-worker. When it’s that raw it is difficult to not absorb it. Not that I personally know anything about it. Sorry for the hijack...

I’ve spent a lot of time on the road in the past 13 years and I have yet to come across 1 single pile of STEAMING BRAINS 🧠😵😵🤦‍♂️ I do however know a lot of people that txt and drive/use their cell phones without a hands free device on a daily basis. (Literally every person I know) They’re all still alive. (Knock on wood...pray to god).
I’m sorry that first responders have to see a disproportionate amount of steaming brains compared to the average citizen, but if you can’t take the steam, stay out of the sauna and quit punishing the many for the stupidity/misfortune of few.
I’m starting to think this country has a “driving problem” disguised as a “texting and driving” problem.
As for how this relates to the op... I gotta get back to work... to be continued...

If the folks can't raise a kid who has understanding of how to act like a decent human being then I see no issue with them not being allowed to keep guns in the house either. You can always rent a storage unit down the road or keep the firearms at a friend's house until Junior is old enough to be kicked out of the house...

If the folks can't raise a kid who has understanding of how to act like a decent human being then I see no issue with them not being allowed to keep guns in the house either. You can always rent a storage unit down the road or keep the firearms at a friend's house until Junior is old enough to be kicked out of the house...

I am retiring from the military in the next few months after a very successful career. I believe in God and try my best to raise my children right. I would like to think I am a decent human being.

With that said I was a hellish child. I skipped school, lied to my parents, went joy riding in someone’s car when I was 15 twice. I even drank and drove. My parents did the best the could and I was spanked and grounded frequently.

Kids don’t reach mental maturity until around age 25. Even with the best parents kids will still get in trouble. That doesn’t automatically make them indecent humans. Judging a book by the first chapter can leave you missing the rest of the story.

That is what, in my day, was called "Cum Uppin's". Do STUPID, expect & take the Heat. Not enough of it these days.....

I am retiring from the military in the next few months after a very successful career. I believe in God and try my best to raise my children right. I would like to think I am a decent human being.

With that said I was a hellish child. I skipped school, lied to my parents, went joy riding in someone’s car when I was 15 twice. I even drank and drove. My parents did the best the could and I was spanked and grounded frequently.

Kids don’t reach mental maturity until around age 25. Even with the best parents kids will still get in trouble. That doesn’t automatically make them indecent humans. Judging a book by the first chapter can leave you missing the rest of the story.

Sounds just like me and most kids. But you/we were held accountable...

But we let them drive at 16, vote and sign up for the military at 18, and drink and buy any guns they want at 21 . . .

I'm not trying to be controversial, but it's worth considering that it might be time to change the age on some things.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back