Ramsey debt viewpoint explained

Another example of my belief that all useful information in a thread gets covered in the first 20 replies. After that it is reiteration, quibbling, scope creep amd hijacking. And that is how it should be around a fireside.
The next question is how many cases or bottles were emptied around the fireside?😂

Ours was always red beers, so more Vitamin C than alcohol, but the effect was the same. Great stories, retold many times. We disregard what a wonderful life we have compared to most of the population, who, not to coin a phrase, as H.D. Thoreau did it first, live lives of quiet desperation, while we roam free, climbing mountains, running rivers, and otherwise just having fun.

Last edited:
Sir mix a lot?

dang that was an advanced level of dad joke that goes beyond my credentials.

there are only two rap songs that I could be witty with in such similar circumstances: A Milli and Today Was a Good Day.

What is the goal, to maximize our wealth or enjoy our lives as much as possible? I am retired and doing OK financially but I would really like a little more financial security. If I had taken every penny I have spent on hunting and fishing in my life and invested it, or even stuffed it in my mattress, I would be a hell of a lot more secure right now.

But would it be worth it?

I think not.
This has been my question also. I don't want to spend my whole life making and saving money. Can't take it with me when I go. I save money on some things, so I can enjoy other things. Like a nice boat and hunting trips.

You guys must really suck at hunting if all your eating is beans and rice.
I think I am responsible for that reference being brought up in this thread. Dave often says you need to work 3 jobs and live of beans and rice till you are debt free. I made a joke earlier in the thread about how Dave wouldn't approve of hunting for meat when that time could be spent working and coming home eating beans and rice and going back to work.

It feels dirty, but who got hurt? The whole idea of secured loans like mortgages is that the lender is taking on almost no risk. The county lost four years of tax revenue but recouped it with a lean on the sale of the property. In this case the bank may have lost money if they didn't insure the place because it burned down the same time my house burned but they sold the bare lot for over half of what the mortgage was.

The people who really got screwed were the renters who knew nothing about what was going on until the bank evicted them.
kramer-write.gif

It feels dirty, but who got hurt? The whole idea of secured loans like mortgages is that the lender is taking on almost no risk. The county lost four years of tax revenue but recouped it with a lean on the sale of the property. In this case the bank may have lost money if they didn't insure the place because it burned down the same time my house burned but they sold the bare lot for over half of what the mortgage was.

The people who really got screwed were the renters who knew nothing about what was going on until the bank evicted them.

Most of the country because of the many people like them who contributed to the financial collapse? (gettin out over my skis here..)

This has been my question also. I don't want to spend my whole life making and saving money. Can't take it with me when I go. I save money on some things, so I can enjoy other things. Like a nice boat and hunting trips.
The tricky aspect of this approach is knowing exactly how much money you’ll need to make it until the day you die. I personally don’t want to underestimate it so I save more than I probably need to. Still having plenty of fun along the way and use debt appropriately though. I’ll likely end up passing money to my heirs, but that is a better alternative than being broke when I can’t work anymore.

I think I am responsible for that reference being brought up in this thread. Dave often says you need to work 3 jobs and live of beans and rice till you are debt free. I made a joke earlier in the thread about how Dave wouldn't approve of hunting for meat when that time could be spent working and coming home eating beans and rice and going back to work.
I’ve read the book and done daveish before. I don’t bring much to the table other than some smart ass comments

Ok, real question. Who are some of these real experts that have a superior comprehensive personal finance philosophy and roadmap? Is that a fair question? I’ve read many, and they all basically parrot conventional wisdom…a lot of garbage.

Duh, Hunt Talk is the one stop shop for expert... well expert everything.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kgentry
Back