Heritance Dis-acquisition advice

Gunner46

Sad that it has come to this. With the passing of my Dad & a couple of his brothers I am now faced with 'warehousing' the rifles they left behind. No one in the family, besides me, really shoots, hunts, nor cares. Thus, I got them.

I have always felt that a rifle, shotgun, pistol is nothing more than a tool....not meant to be some Closet Queen, just to show & "see what I have" !

One (1) is a True Heritage, a couple are long memories, the rest are just taking up space from poor choices and good advertisement.

With no one to leave them to.....What are my real choices?

Depending on how many there are, I’d sell whatever doesn’t have sentimental value and put the money toward a hunt you’ve always wanted to do. I would definitely recommend NOT pissing the money away on everyday things, as I expect that could leave someone with the most regret.

Hunting Husband sort of went through the same thing when his dad passed away. Granted, we still have most of them. He sold a few with no sentimental value to upgrade gun safes and I think some went to our Alaska trip. Some were good investment pieces that he kept. Some he gifted to his brother in law. He kept the sentimental or those he has a use for. Some may still go his niece or nephew if they show an interest at some point.

Hard decisions, though with time it’s become a little easier to take an objective look at specific guns I think.

I’m going thru the same thing now that Dad passed. I decided to keep two for sentimental reasons. The rest are not worth much and were inherited from his brothers estate. They will probably just go in the auction for eye candy in the ads.

When my Dad passed firearms went to people that wanted them. I've got a couple that hold lasting memories, but that I'll probably never use, they just don't feel like they're mine. I'm in the same sort of conundrum, and I think I've decided that they're prime targets for updating, dad left some stocks, it gives them a reason to stay here in my house for a while, hopefully complete the plans dad had, and maybe feel more like they're part of me, if that makes any sense to anyone else.

Hard decisions, though with time it’s become a little easier to take an objective look at specific guns I think.

Very much this. I inherited my father's collection along with his last words to me being "don't sell the guns" the night before he passed.

That was 6 years ago and I've not sold any of them, including the ones that hold no sentimental value or have strong ties to dad other than he was the one who purchased them. I'm now at the point where I feel I can make an honest decision about what stays and what goes, and what will happen with the proceeds to honor dad's legacy, but it takes time to get over the hurt & grief so you don't make a decision you'll regret later.

I never met my great grandpa, but I have used his crappy old SxS to shoot pheasants before. I never met him, but sometimes I feel like I kind of knew him when I use his guns.

I don't look at hunting firearms as just tools. I think in some weird way, guns carry the spirit of people that own them, and there are ghosts in every gun used by someone who loved what they did. May not seem important now, but a generation or two down the line it might be.

Why have tools you don’t use? If they left you a rolling tool chest full of Snap On tools and you don’t use them, you would probably sell them to someone that could use them.

Guns that are tools are no different...

That’s a tough decision. It always seems like there are grandsons and nephews but without that I’d say sell and don’t look back. Thinking about it will drive you crazy. I’d keep anything that you have to think about as well. Those are the ones that, if they linger without emotion, that you sell later

I have the sentimental guns already.

I have bought, sold and traded a lot of guns in the last couple years. If there is no specific need for a gun I have. What is the point in keeping it?

This applies to everything i have. I have ridded myself of a lit of junk lately.

Going through the problem with my wife's family right now.

Trust me, for the sake of your family's sanity, get rid of crap while you still can, regardless of the genre of crap it falls into.

Keep the ones that mean something. If the others you don’t want, sell them( this is a great place because real people and sportsman’s are on this site). I would take the money if not needed and start a college fund for kids/ grandkids, or bless a family in need.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sea Rover
Back