Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Here we go again

Big Fin

Administrator
Staff member
Well, the Montana legislature is in session, so it is once again time for the "idiot show" to hit the stage. We are off to a roaring start, with our Republican legislators doing their best to show complete disregard for everything that has brought about wildlife bounty beyond what most can imagine.

Here is the next chapter in our story from one of the most infamous offenders of common sense, Debbie Barrett.

She proposes these stupid bills, and sometimes gets them passed. In this one, she is telling FWP that they must get numbers to established objectives or we will issue landowner permits and reimburse for testing of wildlife related diseases.

She knows full well that most areas in MT that are over population objective is because of no access to the animals. Since FWP cannot force access to private land, it is pretty hard to get hunters there to get the necessary harvest. And, as has been stated on this site before, MT management plans and the objectives stated in such have recommended populations objectives far below carrying capacity, so even with good harvest, it is hard to get/stay below these ridiculous population objectives.

Knowing that, and knowing such units will be over objective, she is trying to get some handouts to her and her industry pals. Like landowner tags, which would be used to shoot bulls/bucks would NOT reduce disease and population numbers.

And the ignorant part is the "wildlife disease" issue. There is not a disease in wildlife that was not first transmitted to them by domestic livestock - cattle, sheep, horses, etc. Yet, now she expects the livestock industry to be reimbursed for testing of such, even though those landowners will not allow access to wildlife whereby hunting would aid in reducing numbers and lessen the likelihood of transmitting these diseases originally spread by domestic livestock.

I am a registered Republican, but say so with much embarassment when dipshits like this are in charge. And to think she is one of the legislative leaders in the party and always given seats on F&G committees.

:BLEEP::BLEEP::BLEEP::BLEEP::BLEEP::BLEEP::BLEEP:

The hearing is on Thursday. I hope I can make it. Idgits, friggin' idgits!|oo

>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

2009 Montana Legislature

Additional Bill Links PDF (with line numbers)

SENATE BILL NO. 217

INTRODUCED BY D. BARRETT

A BILL FOR AN ACT ENTITLED: "AN ACT REQUIRING THE DEPARTMENT OF FISH, WILDLIFE, AND PARKS TO REIMBURSE LIVESTOCK PRODUCERS WHO ARE REQUIRED TO TEST LIVESTOCK FOR DISEASES THAT MAY BE TRANSMITTED BY GAME ANIMALS DURING PERIODS WHEN GAME ANIMAL POPULATION OBJECTIVES ARE NOT MET; AMENDING SECTION 87-1-323, MCA; AND PROVIDING AN IMMEDIATE EFFECTIVE DATE."

BE IT ENACTED BY THE LEGISLATURE OF THE STATE OF MONTANA:

Section 1. Section 87-1-323, MCA, is amended to read:

"87-1-323. Viable elk, deer, and antelope populations based on habitat acreage -- reduction of populations as necessary -- reimbursement for livestock testing. (1) Based on the habitat acreage that is determined pursuant to 87-1-322, the commission shall determine the appropriate elk, deer, and antelope numbers that can be viably sustained. The department shall consider the specific concerns of private landowners when determining sustainable numbers pursuant to this section.

(2) Once the sustainable population numbers are determined as provided in subsection (1), the department shall implement, through existing wildlife management programs, necessary actions with the objective that the population of elk, deer, and antelope remains at or below the sustainable population. The programs may include but are not limited to:

(a) liberalized harvests;

(b) game damage hunts;

(c) landowner permits; or

(d) animal relocation.

(3) The department shall:

(a) manage with the objective that populations of elk, deer, and antelope are at or below the sustainable population number by January 1, 2009; and

(b) evaluate the elk, deer, and antelope populations on an annual basis and provide that information to the public.

(4) During any period that the population objectives for game animals, as defined in 87-2-101, are not met, the department shall reimburse livestock producers who are required to test livestock for diseases that may be transmitted by game animals for the actual cost of testing."

Good luck Big Fin. Just another example of the hand-out syndrome that seems to be plaguing western landowners these days when it comes to state wildlife agencies.

I read in the paper today that somebody in MT is trying to legislate a declaration that walleye are native to the state. Interesting stuff.

The idea of punishing (by making FWP pay for the testing) is purely vengeful. That is just a bunch of ranchers wanting to extort hunters and FWP for $$$$ and Landowner tags (to convert to $$$$).

If the "objective" is really to reduce herd size, then the law/process should be about reducing the herd size and not punishing FWP.

This is the legislation that we've been trying to tell everyone was coming. I've told everyone, that's on here to belong to your local sportsman club and be vocal and involved.

This is the legislation that we've been trying to tell everyone was coming. I've told everyone, that's on here to belong to your local sportsman club and be vocal and involved.

Are you sure it is a good idea to rely on a club? Is Big Fin fighting on behalf of a Club or is he fighting on behalf of Truth, Justice, and what is best for HUNTERS (as opposed to guides, outfitters, landowners, ranchers, assault weapon owners, trappers, Fat-Assed ATV riders, and other assorted characters)?

When you go to the podium, and say your speaking on behalf of 700 members the commission listens really good. It doesn't hurt to go and also speak on behalf of an individual.

Are you sure it is a good idea to rely on a club? Is Big Fin fighting on behalf of a Club or is he fighting on behalf of Truth, Justice, and what is best for HUNTERS (as opposed to guides, outfitters, landowners, ranchers, assault weapon owners, trappers, Fat-Assed ATV riders, and other assorted characters)?

Sportsman clubs have members from all different forms of user groups, so there well represented. The reason one would belong is to get the word out. Wildlife Federation is a club that my club is affiliated with, they have a lobbyist working the legislators and the Internet on what we call a phone tree. Calls are made by people all over the state on each bill pertaining to sportsman interest, ASAP.

Single sticks are easily broke, where as in a bundle, you get the idea don't you Jose'

Here are a couple common sense bills that are moving forward.......

House endorses trapping bills
Posted Jan. 19
By the Associated Press

HELENA - The House endorsed plans Monday to require trapping education for new wildlife trappers and to tighten standards for fur dealers.

Supporters say trapping enthusiasts were seeking the education requirement as a way to make sure everyone understands how to properly follow the law. That bill was endorsed by the House on a 51-47 vote, although it needs one more vote in the House before it is sent to the state Senate.

It would require new trappers to go through a course similar to what is currently required of hunters. Current trappers would not need to take the course.

"Simply, it makes the current optional trapper education program mandatory," said sponsor Robin Hamilton, D-Missoula. "The trapping community supports this bill."

Opponents said the measure would just create more needless government regulations.

"It grows government," said Rep. Ken Peterson, R-Billings. "It requires the department to take this over, to run the show and make sure everyone takes the course. I don't think it's that big of an issue, and I don't think we need to do this."

The House also endorsed a plan by a 50-49 margin that would toughen regulations on fur dealers. It would require the dealers to better track the source of the fur to make sure it was legally caught.

The trapping and fur industry originally opposed the plan, although agreed to support it after some changes were made.

Opponents worried the extra regulations might make it harder for people to get involved in the hobby, and might make it tougher on the casual trapper.

The bills are House Bill 62 and House Bill 63.

And if the first bill I mentioned was not stupid enough, here are a few others.

HB 79 sponsored by Wayne Stahl, Saco, restricts the State to no net gain in State Land acreage. Another Republican who is carrying forward their party platform plank of no net increase in public lands. Can you believe they actually publish that as a plank on their website?

SB164, sponsored once more by Debbie Barrett, requires a set 40% of any purchase price for FWP properties to be set aside for maintenance whether or not the condition of the land requires any weed containment or other upkeep. This bill's intent is merely to cripple FWP's authority to establish a responsible budget. Anyone who thinks she is a friend of wildlife and hunters needs to pull their head out to where the air is fresh.

SB 31 - Keith Bales, the king of outfitter welfare, sponsored this bill that passed out of the Sen F&G Committee that requires that a member of the FWP Commission to own 1280 acres & be in the full-time business of raising livestock. By state law, one member of the Commission must have a history with raising livestock already, we shouldn't eliminate good Commission candidates who might raise hay or wheat, or someone who depends on leasing for their operation; SB 31 sets up a "class" system that discriminates against many good candidates.

Basles is by far, the worst offender of our wildlife resources. He is an outfitter and landowner, who hates FWP, and uses his legislative power to screw resident hunters whenever he can. No love lost between he and I. Barrett is not too far behind.

If I make it to Helena this week, will guys post my bail? Fuggers! :mad:

If you want to read this idiocy in full print, go to the link below and search the bills by Senate (SB) or House (HB) bill numbers.

http://leg.mt.gov/css/default.asp

Any MT guys on this board may want to go the site above and contact their senator or rep and tell them to vote against this chit.

IF ANYONE THINKS REPUBLICANS IN MT ARE IN SUPPORT OF RESIDENT HUNTERS AND ANGLERS, YOU ARE SADLY MISTAKEN. I AM ONE OF THE MOST CONSERVATIVE GUYS YOU WILL MEET, BUT THESE BASTARDS NEED TO BE CALLED OUT FOR WHO THEY ARE.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back