Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Help with scope for Ruger mini-14 Ranch SS

VikingsGuy

I just bought a stainless Ruger ranch mini-14 with wood stock. I will be buying a classic stainless folding stock in the future. I want to add a scope (eyes are too old for iron sights) but haven't found the right balance yet. I want it to be bright but don't want to spend too much as it will get a lot of abuse in the truck and on the ATV, ; zoom range 1-3/4x or 2-7x; all shots will be within 200yds or so, so cds or BCD not needed; I would like a simple illuminated reticle like a firedot or fire ring but not a must; I want it to look appropriate on the rifle and not look too out of place so compact size and more traditional styling would be good. Your thoughts?

I have a Leupold 3x9x40 on mine. Probably bigger than you want but I really like it. Balances well.

Attachments

• IMG_0916.jpg
    IMG_0916.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 5
I believe I have a burris M-tac 1-4X24 30mm tube. It has a couple hash marks but also has an illuminated horseshoe type reticle with a dot...nice and fast.

This might fit your needs. Mini 14s make great truck/ranch rifles.

Call @schmalts & get a Leupold VX3HD 1.5x5

End of story.
All things being equal I would go Leupold every time. God knows I have sent @schmalts kids through college already, but I am not ready to give up on illuminated reticle yet, prefer 1x vs 1.5x for quick off-hand shooting up close, and prefer the aesthetics of the "no front bell" scopes if I am going down to 24-28mm objectives.

Currently, I am trying to decide between the Burris R-T6 1-6x24 and the Vortex Viper PST Gen II 1-6x24. Leaning Burris due to the price point on a rifle that will get knocked around a lot.

All things being equal I would go Leupold every time. God knows I have sent @schmalts kids through college already, but I am not ready to give up on illuminated reticle yet, prefer 1x vs 1.5x for quick off-hand shooting up close, and prefer the aesthetics of the "no front bell" scopes if I am going down to 24-28mm objectives.

Currently, I am trying to decide between the Burris R-T6 1-6x24 and the Vortex Viper PST Gen II 1-6x24. Leaning Burris due to the price point on a rifle that will get knocked around a lot.

1615566560303.png

A hi-dolla scope doesn't really matter to the full choke mini 14 pattern.
Definitely not going to be glassing treelines at 500yds 15 min before shooting light. But still needs to allow old eyes to focus and hold its zero so has to be better than $75 Simmons. The Burris seems like a decent compromise and can be found for about $299.

Definitely not going to be glassing treelines at 500yds 15 min before shooting light. But still needs to allow old eyes to focus and hold its zero so has to be better than $75 Simmons. The Burris seems like a decent compromise and can be found for about $299.

This is still the wrong answer.

This is still the wrong answer.
So give me the low profile 1x-(4, 5, 6)x and illuminated sub$400 answer? I already have multiple VX6HDs on hunting rifles so I get the difference, but this is a different use case and different budget for the project.

I second harley on the mini 14 “choke” 😎. Have you considered a red-dot? I put one on a carbine length ar used the same way eg. truck gun, targets of opportunity, or if the zombies come. I am very surprised how much I like it, plenty good for minute of mil spec ar out to 150-200 yds.

I second harley on the mini 14 “choke” 😎. Have you considered a red-dot? I put one on a carbine length ar used the same way eg. truck gun, targets of opportunity, or if the zombies come. I am very surprised how much I like it, plenty good for minute of mil spec ar out to 150-200 yds.
Good point. I have a sig, a leupold and a vortex for various ARs and like them a lot. But usually shoot those within 100y, I will have to try out to 150-200 and see how I like that.

Good point. I have a sig, a leupold and a vortex for various ARs and like them a lot. But usually shoot those within 100y, I will have to try out to 150-200 and see how I like that.

You gotta hold your tongue just right to compensate for drop & windage, but this is a good solution.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HUNT7503
Back