Help with Route to Yellowstone

Cheese Curd

I'm planning a summer vacation to Yellowstone and I'm looking for some help/advice on which route to take from the Bighorns to Yellowstone. I am not planning to go back through the Bighorns on the way home.

From I-90, I could go 14, 14 to 14A, or 16 and I want to end up in Cody. If you could only pick one route, which one would you recommend and why?

From Cody I could take 14 or Hwy. 120 to 296 to 212. Which of those routes would you recommend and why?

Not much help, but I would make certain the Beartooth highway was in the mix.

Edit, as for "why". 'Cause it is awesome. This was 6 weeks ago and this is not the best view. It gets even better on top.

34572008620_47bb9efed2_b.jpg

Last edited:
Are you looking for direct route, easiest, scenic? Where is your destination in yellowstone? Pm me if you want because I can get pretty long winded. That is my favorite place in the world. Love that drive.

I'll second mtmiller's suggestion of the Beartooth Hwy, some very impressive views on that road. The drive from Cody on 14 to the east entrance to Yellowstone is a very beautiful drive.

I prefer 14 Main, not the alt route. I'd als9 second going the beartooth highway in. Worth the detour time, who h isn't all that much more.

Dead Indian Pass route is almost as scenic as Beartooth pass route and not as crowded. Still go past Pilot peak on 212 which is my favorite mountain in that area. You could even backtrack a few miles once you hit 212 to get to Beartooth pass. Tower jct to Silvergate is my favorite part of Yellowstone, especially during the tourist season, so that's why I would hit that part of the Park.

Are you looking for direct route, easiest, scenic? Where is your destination in yellowstone? Pm me if you want because I can get pretty long winded. That is my favorite place in the world. Love that drive.

I'm looking for the most scenic.

I would probably stay near the north end of Yellowstone. Spend a few days around Yellowstone and then head down to the Tetons for a few more days. I know that's not a lot of time but that's what I have to work with.

It sounds like the Beartooth highway is the preferred route from Cody to Yellowstone.

Thank you for the responses.

you can bypass cody, but I would suggest a few hours at the Buffalo Bill Museum. Don't miss that. If you are feeling adventurous, I would say spend an extra day in Yellowstone and do some hking instead of just driving the loop. Personally, I think you could go spend a day at Tetons, then spend the rest of the time in YNP. Jsut my 2 cents. The wife and I spend a week in YNP every summer.

Ok here it goes. I prefer route 16 over 14 for views and scenery. However, we tend to see more wildlife going on 14. 14a would onky be used if you want to see the bighorn medicine wheel which is pretty cool. From Cody take a short trip out of town to the chief joseph highway. This will take you over dead indian and into sunlight basin which is gorgeous at sunrise. Stay on chief joseph until it dead ends into the beartooth highway and follow into yellowstone. If you are wanting to camp in northern yellowstone get up at 5 and be to the park asap. The crown jewel of campgrounds is slough creek and you wont have a spot if you wait for breakfast. Next would be pebble creek or towers campground. Indian creek is better than mammoth. Norrris is fine but too crowded for my liking but has nicer facilities. Pebble and slough creek are hand pump water and vault toilets. The road from cody to the east entrance is nice but doesn't compare to the route to the northeast entrance. Use cody as a pitstop to get ready for the park. The museum is nice and I always like the rodeo. The Irma hotel has an all you can eat prime rib buffet and Granies is a good place for lunch or breakfast. Good luck

Also, in cody I like the big bear motel and the carter mt motel. They seem to be a bargain compared to others plus they have descent parking spots if you have a camper. Carter mt is walking distance from a laundry mat.

I really, really like the Beartooth, but better check on-line first. IIRC, they were going to be doing a bunch of construction up there this summer, which is kind of a real PITA on that road.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back