Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Help with meat going bad in freezer.

swmoelk

I've been processing my own deer for almost 20 years with no issues but in the last two years I've been having meat come out like this. The brown areas are not fit for consumption the red meat is still good.

The meat is wrapped in saran wrap and double layers of freezer paper. I've had meat keep like this for 2-3 years. The meat in the picture was frozen in 12/2021 already going bad. I've also tried aluminum foil instead of plastic wrap,same issues.

The deer in this picture was killed at last light. She was quartered and on ice within an hour. Lots of ice with the plug pulled. Kept cold for 3 days then wrapped as stated above. No thawing or refreezing.

My question is: Could this be caused by the freezer itself ? The stuff that's vac sealed in the freezer is good but all the paper wrapped stuff is going bad. This meat was in the freezer portion of a standard upright fridge with freezer on top.

Attachments

• PXL_20220313_031011929.jpg
    PXL_20220313_031011929.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 56
  • PXL_20220313_030948667.jpg
    PXL_20220313_030948667.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 58
How old is your fridge/freezer? If it’s 15+ years old it may be worth replacing. If it’s newer you could buy an aftermarket temperature alarm to see if your freezer is maintaining a correct temperature. Even a cycling frost-free freezer shouldn’t ruin a packaged steak after just 3 months.

As an aside, I package my meat similar to you, except I use a single layer of paper. I find it’s easier to squeeze all the air out.

I was thinking seals in the upright. As soon as the new shop is finished I will be updating freezers.

I was thinking seals in the upright. As soon as the new shop is finished I will be updating freezers.

Has to be something along those lines. Packaged like you are doing it should last a few years easy. I found a tenderloin a couple of months ago that was packaged in 2017. Plastic wrap and then vacuum sealed. It was still perfect.

Yes. If it’s a frost free in the upright (probably so) it will increase the likelihood of freezer burn.
Yup you couldn't sell me a frost free freezer. Most uprights are frost free you have to pay attention to that. I feel like most people don't, just ask my old man he'll give you an hour long talk on why frost free is the devil. 😁

Last edited:
I never had a problem with chest freezer meat. My 1st was a 1948 model GE that only ever needed seals once and worked when I gave it away.
I did have the seals go on the commercial upright that I had when I moved here. Was going to try and get it rebuilt but the 14' chest I have now works great.
Pulled out some elk that had 2016 date and made some great sausage with it. Glad wrap & single freezer paper.

I use a chamber sealer on all my stuff and haven't noticed any issues with my upright freezer. Not sure if its frost free or not.

I pulled a package out today that was wrapped the same way on the same day that was stores in a different freezer and it looks good. This freezer was an upright with the coil shelves not a frost free. So hopefully I have narrowed the issue down. When I have more time I'll diagnose the little freezer but for now I just won't use it

Thanks for the insight everyone.

I picked up a cheap Amazon freezer alarm a few months back and it's working great. Two sensors wireless monitor temp on two freezers in garage. Nice to see temperature displayed and any variance in temp. It displays current room/freezer temp and Max temp with the set alarms.

I picked up a cheap Amazon freezer alarm a few months back and it's working great. Two sensors wireless monitor temp on two freezers in garage. Nice to see temperature displayed and any variance in temp. It displays current room/freezer temp and Max temp with the set alarms.

Not vouching for quality or longevity. It seems to be working fine for last five or six months

How loud is the alarm? I have a storage area that's away from the house and worried about being able to hear it. Thought about one that would connect to mobile device but no Wi-Fi out there.
That's a good question not sure if I've ever heard it. I believe it connects via BlueTooth but don't know the range.

ive found saran wrapped and paper wrapped maxis out at about the 2 year ball park//ive found vac packed with my food saver,some packages 8+ yrs old now and still look and taste like the day i put them in,,,there is a occational package that sometimes looses it vac ,but not very many.

I used to lose a lot of meat to that freezer burn/browning (looks, smells and tastes bad). It’s more of an oxidation problem than drying out or heating up I think. Since vacuum sealing everything, I have barely lost anything as long as you freeze big chunks, not cubes or pre-cut steaks with lots of air gaps. At most, I may have to trim some edges, but any well sealed vacuum bags lasts for years.

I used to lose a lot of meat to that freezer burn/browning (looks, smells and tastes bad). It’s more of an oxidation problem than drying out or heating up I think. Since vacuum sealing everything, I have barely lost anything as long as you freeze big chunks, not cubes or pre-cut steaks with lots of air gaps. At most, I may have to trim some edges, but any well sealed vacuum bags lasts for years.
Yeah agree, sounds like oxidation rather than anything temperature related.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back