Help, Thank you and a little bit funny

Europe

The thread MtELKHUNTRESS posted somewhat prompted a portion of this thread. It was a wonderful daughter/father hunt. I know Randi still hunts with her father and grandfather ---but all young men and women who want to hunt and fish are not as lucky as those two young ladies. Some organizations I have supported are "Fathers in the Field", "Shoot like a girl", "operation, Pay it forward", "Pass it on", " Families afield", "Freedom Hunters". I also like "Hunt of a LifeTime" and "Wounded Warriers" but those are a bit different.

I wanted to thank all the fathers on the forum who are currently spending time with children and grandchildren in the field, and also ask those who can to help in whatever way you can ( if you can ) to please do so.

I was wondering, what other (non-gov) organizations are out there. Perhaps if you can name the ones in your neck of the woods that you support, others who live in your area might also contribute, whether it be financial or one on one.

Also, who else is currently teaching and or hunting with a son or daughter. ? My first hunt was with my grandfather and my last hunt was with my granddaughter. I have a great-grandson that is determined to go on a hunt of some kind with me and god willing, I hope that happens, even if I never leave the camp.

The funny part. Approx a month ago we were discussing hunting with some interested boys and girls ( 16 through 21 ages ) They had gathered for a sporting event but some stayed behind when they found out some older people would stick around and answer their hunting questions. It was fun, but it was also "funny" They thought we were joking about bringing condoms and tampons/mini pads in our hunting back pack. But they were equally enlightened by the purpose and started asking questions. Great bunch of young adults.

I forgot, these young adults also could not believe people eat, Beaver Tails, Moose Nose, and Rocky Mountain Oysters provoked a laugh or two among them. (-;

Last edited:
That's good on you @Europe mentoring in any form is a top level worthwhile endeavor.

I always get a bit of jealousy when people talk about hunting with their family. I only got to hunt with my grandfather for two years before he developed dementia, and fortunately/unfortunately I tagged out opening morning both years. My Dad doesn't hunt at all, and none of my extended family were the types of people I wanted to spend any real time with.

I am doing my best to show my two kids what I love about it. We do a combination of easy and hard hunts, so far it been mostly a short walk to a duck blind or a long hike for chukars but this year we also chased turkeys and did a long deer hunt. My 8 year old daughter is enamored with it so far, my 5 yr old son really doesn't enjoy it, he prefers things with motors.

In terms of organizations, our local Wenatchee Sportsmen's Association does some youth oriented events, and while we'd really like to start a mentoring program at this point we haven't found the right people to lead that effort.

Attachments

• 20181216_160431.jpg
    20181216_160431.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 4
  • 20190106_152653.jpg
    20190106_152653.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 4
  • 20190112_135241.jpg
    20190112_135241.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 4
  • 20190421_074535.jpg
    20190421_074535.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 4
  • 20190526_062946.jpg
    20190526_062946.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 4
  • 20191013_113746.jpg
    20191013_113746.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 3
  • 20191026_123218.jpg
    20191026_123218.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 3
We have a group of women, who are raising children by themselves and some of their children wanted to hunt, and these women, after teaching themselves, are now teaching and hunting with their children, but they are not a "recognized" group. I have donated supplies to them.

Yes we carry all three. It is important to keep the ice/mud/whatever out of the barrel and the tampons work great on punctures and the minis on cuts and scrapes --people and dogs

I hunted with father, grandfather and mother and have taken youngsters out whenever it is feasible. They are always a delight.

I enjoy different foods. Beaver and Moose of course. Rocky mtn oysters once at the Calgary stampede . Frog Legs and oysters in Montreal. I like most foods and will try something different. We have had visitors who would not eat Seal, Walrus, Beaver tail, Moose Nose

We have a group of women, who are raising children by themselves and some of their children wanted to hunt, and these women, after teaching themselves, are now teaching and hunting with their children, but they are not a "recognized" group. I have donated supplies to them.

Yes we carry all three. It is important to keep the ice/mud/whatever out of the barrel and the tampons work great on punctures and the minis on cuts and scrapes --people and dogs

I hunted with father, grandfather and mother and have taken youngsters out whenever it is feasible. They are always a delight.

I enjoy different foods. Beaver and Moose of course. Rocky mtn oysters once at the Calgary stampede . Frog Legs and oysters in Montreal. I like most foods and will try something different. We have had visitors who would not eat Seal, Walrus, Beaver tail, Moose Nose

I would try them if I got to visit you! After earning my keep, of course!

Don't carry any of the above. I return home each day while hunting.

I’ve hunted once with my grandfather...mountain quail. He can’t do the brush and hills anymore, but we could get him in a clearing where we and the dog could give him some passing shots. He was pretty tickled to knock a couple down...it had been a lot of years for him. He was even more excited when the dog would go bombing off the nearly vertical edge and emerge from the tangle with his birds. 😁

I’ve had my name on the hunting mentor roster of a couple of local sportsmen’s groups over the years. However, probably an artifact of living in rural Montana, there are way more people willing to mentor than mentees. Nothing has ever come of it.

Thanks for the heads up. That makes sense, but that is a lot of effort for him to go through, (recruit others), just because he dont like my presence on the forum.

Especially since I just dont care about any of that. I dont have enough time left to waste it on that type of nonsense, and so I wont

Back to this thread

neffa3 I am glad you had that time with your grandfather, and I am envious of the hunts you will enjoy in the future with your children

hunting wife I am also glad you got to hunt with your grandfather, You never know when somebody from back east moves there and you will get a phone call. But yes, Montana has hunters galore . But you didn't mention what "weird" uncommon food you have had And whether or not you cover the end of your rifles when in the field .

Dave, We used condoms while hunting, even if we came home each evening (-; Now they make then specifically for rifles. And the mini works perfect for cuts.

Panda, thanks

Last edited:
:love: thanks

yes, my grandparents contribute to a couple, I dont have any money

I enjoy rattlesnake, some dont.

We always covered the barrel , dust in Texas, Ice in Alaska. I have even used sanitary napkins on horse cuts when on a trip

Neffa, you have hunting partners for years to come, have fun!

hunting wife I am also glad you got to hunt with your grandfather, You never know when somebody from back east moves there and you will get a phone call. But yes, Montana has hunters galore . But you didn't mention what "weird" uncommon food you have had And whether or not you cover the end of your rifles when in the field .

Don’t always cover the barrel. Depends on conditions.

Weird food...I have not had occasion to eat moose nose or beaver tail. I also don’t eat much non-meat. Too many years doing necropsies. Thinking about eating liver for example, brings to mind images of all the nasty stinky stuff I’ve seen in there. Not to say I don’t enjoy trying traditional dishes that I may not ordinarily eat when I travel. That’s part of the experience.

Another quality reflection w/ proactive interest. Thanks Europe.

I've taken my daughter out a handful of times though the most we've done is glassed deer. Not pulled the trigger, yet and not sure she would. Next year, I plan to knock a buck with her and process it together. She's a tough gal though at the age where she makes the decisions and tends to oppose impressed positions regardless how fantastic our thoughts are. :) Ya know, the teenage 16 going on 30. I've kept our conversations as open as possible so she feels she's making her decisions.
A friend of hers went with us once and again, we stayed on the observation, scat, tracks, animal behavior, etc... was pretty enjoyable.
She enjoys elk tacos and deer breakfast sausage and cooking herself so hopefully that's helped. :)

As for local youth opportunities, our family has not been directly involved though learned of this group via a family friend who we loaned our shotgun for their son to participate this past year. At the other end of our county though next year - I'd like to see if our daughter might be interested.

As for strange foods... count me out. No rocky mountain balls... regardless the disguised Oyster lingo. Haha! My extent has been moose tongue, elk heart and eh, California rolls? :D

Sytes, as you and a couple others mentioned via pm, there WAS more to my madness.

From a crude dismissal of my original post, to an honest "I dont know but am curious " from Werty ( thank you Werty ).

Neffa, Sytes, if your daughter's continues to hunt with you and I hope they will, some of this will be a part of your life in a few years. Thank you for your post's. Hunting Wife, Panda, Randi, thank you as well ladies.

1. The purpose of a sanitary napkin is to absorb blood, when you cut yourself, you want the blood to clog, so they do not work all that well, BUT, they are better than nothing and like Randi and Panda mentioned I have, in years past used them on humans, dogs and horses, but they are not my first choice.

2. Make sure any used products go into a zip lock bag and are put into your pack for disposal when you return home. Dont even put them in the containers at trail heads. There are other disposal methods. Every or most girls have plenty of help and advise when at home, but many dont have mothers with them in the field. Obviously day hunts are not as difficult as a week long hunt.

3. Always take a supply with you, always! Even if you are SURE you wont need them.

4. We covered our rifle barrels with condoms, Electric tape, cut the tip of off latex gloves, small balloons, but I have never used a Gundom ? If anyone has used a Gundom I would be curious as to how you liked them.

5. we never experienced any problems ( accuracy ) shooting through whatever was on the end of the barrel

6. as too Groups that help young people learn to hunt. I support them 100% Those here who have watched a young person ( your child or someone else's ) bag their first bird, rabbit, squirrel, deer, whatever . It is a good feeling and one you will not soon forget.
Please help if you can

And thanks to all who are helping teach children whether it is your child or someone else.s ---thank you!

As too "different" dishes. We were having a "dishes from around the world " as part of the meeting that evening and the young people who would NEVER, eat that!---many ended up liking. whatever it was they though they would never eat.

And the open honest curiosity of the wildlife that lives in different countries was enjoyable to listen too.. A lot of the boys wanted to hunt a bear in America and the girls were all over the place ( Africa, America, Europe ) but many wanted to learn to use a shotgun and hunt birds.

I enjoyed it

Thank you April. My father was so open and straightforward about all of this, it was never a problem for me.

check you pm, I got that hunt :)

The purpose of a sanitary napkin is to absorb blood, when you cut yourself, you want the blood to clog, so they do not work all that well, BUT, they are better than nothing
Learn something new on HT everyday, didnt even realize I was carrying around a first aid kit this whole time.

I too just use electric tape...probably looks cooler.

Rocky mountain oysters dont quite scream delicious to me...I think I'll pass on that one but the moose nose intrigues me! I've heard stories of my grandmother making a dish with it.

Getting over a sinus infection...blanching at the moose nose menu item. Now calf fries, la lingua, heart/liver you bet.....southern style of course. Perception meets palatability...

"The tail of a beaver is so rich and buttery when it is cooked, it’s almost easy to forget that it’s meat. But the delicacy has been an important source of protein, as well as fat, for indigenous people in the North for centuries."

nope.

Getting over a sinus infection...blanching at the moose nose menu item. Now calf fries, la lingua, heart/liver you bet.....southern style of course. Perception meets palatability...

"The tail of a beaver is so rich and buttery when it is cooked, it’s almost easy to forget that it’s meat. But the delicacy has been an important source of protein, as well as fat, for indigenous people in the North for centuries."

nope.

Terribly sorry about your sinus infection, do you have a picture :)

"perception meets palatability" I like it

How about Rattlesnake ? Frog Legs ? Turtle soup ? ;)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back