Help Setting up my GF’s rifle

I recently purchased a Boyd’s adjustable stock for my kids. It goes down to 12.5” and has a cheek riser. It was for my 8 and 10 year old who are still under 5’. It fits both of them very well. Your going to have a hard time finding a stock in the 11.5” range if they even make one.

I would seriously go to the gun store and try a Camilla.

I put one of these on mine to help get a bit more height and have been real happy with it. I throw ear plugs and a couple extra bullets in the zipper in case I forget my ear protection.

I dont know crap about that rifle or your gals preferences but if it was mine I would try and replace the scope rings and mounts with ones that get the scope down lower rather than getting her cheek up. My personal preference are stocks with no Monte Carlo or cheek pieces. Thats just me. A cheek peice would probably work just fine.

I had to switch my wife to a youth model for her length of pull and it made a world of difference.

If your a fresh tracks member, there is a video where Beau Baty sets up his rifle for his wife with the same issue. Basically he taped some foam layers on top of the stock to get the correct rise needed. Then he covered it up with an ammo holder. It looked good to me!

If I can offer one other piece of advice please understand I'm not trying to insult anyone's intelligence with what I'm going to say.
When you get the stock issue sorted out and the scope is ready to be mounted. Please make sure it's set for her eye relief. When I worked in a sporting goods store I can't count the number of times a scope would be mounted and the person that was using the rifle wouldn't be there we usually found this out after the fact. Then it would come back and need re-adjustment re-bore sighted etc. One customer grew a little annoyed when this happened.
I shot a friend's wife's rifle in .300WSM and was scoped. She asked me what was wrong and I owned it and simply said I got scoped. She looked at her husband and said, "see I told you was flinching for because the scope was too far back and it needed to be set for me." I let them have their discussion.

Like others have mentioned, If it is in your budget, the Boyd's At one stock is a nice option. I have put that stock on for two different people and it really helped with the LOP and setting the cheek weld for comfortable alignment with the scope.

If I can offer one other piece of advice please understand I'm not trying to insult anyone's intelligence with what I'm going to say.
When you get the stock issue sorted out and the scope is ready to be mounted. Please make sure it's set for her eye relief. When I worked in a sporting goods store I can't count the number of times a scope would be mounted and the person that was using the rifle wouldn't be there we usually found this out after the fact. Then it would come back and need re-adjustment re-bore sighted etc. One customer grew a little annoyed when this happened.
I shot a friend's wife's rifle in .300WSM and was scoped. She asked me what was wrong and I owned it and simply said I got scoped. She looked at her husband and said, "see I told you was flinching for because the scope was too far back and it needed to be set for me." I let them have their discussion.
Indeed. Scope relief for a little person is not where it should be for a normal sized shooter. Expect to get whacked when shooting a gun that's been adjusted for a small shooter. I agree the first step is to check scope relief for that little gal. Since it's mounted on a rail, there should be a ton of adjustment available. Pull the scope back in the rings and if the bell bottoms out before it's right for her, pull the scope and rings off and move both further back on the rail. She should be able to find the crosshairs the moment the gun is mounted. Lots of videos out there re how to realign the scope after moving it.

Again, I'm not sure Talley low rings are lower than Weaver medium rings. He may actually wind up with a higher setup changing to low rings. Crazy, I know. Check the specs on every brand available. You'll see that there is no uniformity in sizing ring height. For QD rings I do know Warne made the lowest of the low and they were still higher than standard Weaver medium height. And before switching to low rings make sure the scope bell will clear the barrel.

Keep in mind that the higher the cheek rest is on a scope, the greater the potential for unpleasant recoil if the gun is not shouldered properly. Most fancy stocks with adjustable cheek rest are designed for range shooting long distance. Big bell target scopes have to be raised up higher to clear the gun barrel. I'm wondering if this is a case of someone putting a range setup on a field rifle?

Back