Help Setting up my GF’s rifle

wtrfwlhunter

Looking for some advice here. I don’t know much about about the specifics of setting up rifles and the people working local gun stores seem to know just about as little as I do.

My girlfriend bought a Ruger American and Vortex Diamond Back 4x16x44 scope. It’s mounted on the guns picatiny rail with vortex low mount rings.

Problem is it’s sitting way too high for her. She is small, 5’ 1”. With the low mount already on I’m not quite sure where to go from here. Is the best solution to look for a cheek raiser, smaller diameter scope, try to put a different mount system on??

Last edited:
What height rings did you use? That is where I would start. Also, something like a Beartooth comb riser might significantly help. I have used them and also a simple Kick-Eez check-Eez pad for my son.

What height rings did you use? That is where I would start. Also, something like a Beartooth comb riser might significantly help. I have used them and also a simple Kick-Eez check-Eez pad for my son.
It’s got the vortex low mount 0.75 in

I had to put a stock pack on my daughter’s rifle to get her up higher with a low mounted scope.

We ordered this for her. We checked out her length of pull and that is also short by about an inch, but I don’t know if that will be getting fixed.
Take a picture of the end of the buttstock without the recoil pad.

Or else trace it onto a piece of paper and scan it. Full scale only.

Send me a pdf of it with length and width.

Ring heights vary dramatically from brand to brand. Medium height Warne rings are not the same as medium Weaver. Not even close. First, I suggest looking for something lower IF you have enough clearance with that 44mm scope bell. If that's a problem, I suggest changing scopes. Frankly, I think 44mm is a bit of overkill, especially for a novice. If you check the threads on here, you might find further inspiration for trading off that Vortex scope.

My concern about raising the cheek rest is it may place the butt stock poorly on the shoulder of the shooter, especially if the shooter doesn't have much shoulder to play with.

And finally, take a look at the height of that rail. You may be able to find a lower one. Doesn't have to be Vortex. Rails typically all take the same rings (Weaver style). Some rails are made higher to facilitate loading integral magazine from the top. Look for a lower rail with cutout slot designed for top loading. I was able to get a cutout rail for my 03A3 Springfield that was exactly the same height as Weaver bases it was replacing. Those Weaver bases with Weaver medium extended rings was a perfect fit for me. Unfortunately, when I went to Warne quick detach rings, which are not extended, I had to lose the Weaver bases. The tube on my scope was too short for standard (non extended) rings. No one makes extended QD rings so I had to do something about the bases. Rail was the only option. The difficulty was finding quick detach rings that were the same height as the old Weaver rings. I wound up getting Warne low rings which were still slightly higher than the old Weaver medium rings. Best I could do short of ordering medium Weaver QD rings which by all accounts are junk. Not sure if they are even still made.

Edit: I see you mentioned the LOP (length of pull trigger to butt) is 1" short. There's a lot of your problem. Try putting a slip on and see if that helps. Limbsaver slip on is NOT the way to go! Too soft and won't stay put. The recoil will cause the back of trigger guard to batter her middle finger. Also, they tend to wiggle around off kilter. Pachmeyer are better but their easy-on design is also easy off ... in the brush. I just lost my fourth one in a standing corn field two days ago. Duct tape will fix that. Or order a good leather one. For now, just get a real cheap one and see if there's an improvement.

Last edited:
Take a picture of the end of the buttstock without the recoil pad.

Or else trace it onto a piece of paper and scan it. Full scale only.

Send me a pdf of it with length and width.

Attachments

• 784C1069-E873-4FAA-9BFB-16AA2C0FF482.jpeg
    784C1069-E873-4FAA-9BFB-16AA2C0FF482.jpeg
    617.3 KB · Views: 7
  • EA7D6151-7A22-43C7-97B0-A9CA0EEF92E8.jpeg
    EA7D6151-7A22-43C7-97B0-A9CA0EEF92E8.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 7
I've tried every way in the book, but unless the wood is pretty I seem to always go back to Matthew's Fabrication Adjustable Kydex cheek riser - which you can get from his website or Amazon.

At 5’1” just about any factory stock should be too long. Most average LOP is 13.5”
I have a hard time believing at 12.5” it is 1 inch short. That means she should have a 13.5” LOP which is way too long for my wife that is 5’4”.

I would sell it and buy a weatherby Camilla. That is made for women and has great reviews.

For example she can drive a Mac truck to work every day. It won’t be fun, practical, or economical but it will get you there albeit sloppy and painful.

Or spend close to the same money and get a car designed for her that is light, nimble, and ergonomic. Then see which one she wants to drive weekly.

Last edited:
At 5’1” just about any factory stock should be too long. Most average LOP is 13.5”
I have a hard time believing at 12.5” it is 1 inch short. That means she should have a 13.5” LOP which is way too long for my wife that is 5’4”.

I would sell it and buys weatherby Camilla. That is made for women and has great reviews.

For example she can drive a Mac truck to work every day. It won’t be fun, practical, or economical but it will get you there albeit sloppy and painful.

Or spend close to the same money and get a car designed for her that is light, nimble, and ergonomic. Then see which one she wants to drive weekly.
No it’s 1 inch too long. 11-11.5 would be ideal for her.

No it’s 1 inch too long. 11-11.5 would be ideal for her.
Sorry, I misunderstood. It will be difficult to shorten a hollow plastic stock. Probably have to order another one. A no frills basic walnut one would probably not be too expensive. A little more weight will help with recoil.

Last edited:
For extended distances parallax from improper cheek weld can be an accuracy issue but two hundred yards or less it shouldn't be a factor. A precise fit is more important for quick acquisition, although I really doubt your girlfriend will be doing much snap shooting. Sounds like you need to focus on getting the correct LOP then look at cheek weld. If she's too far back on the stock due to long LOP, then she'll undoubtedly have to hunt for the crosshairs unless you can somehow move the scope back far enough for her. A rail should give you lots of options for scope location. Have you tried that?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back