Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Help planning my AK self guided moose hunt

Swampdonkey

I'm in the process of planning my self guided moose hunt in AK. I have all of my own gear; so all I'm looking for is info on bush pilot's and units that have good potential of harvesting a quality moose.

How much money do you have to spend? Do you have any preference for a float hunt, lake based hunt, ridge top hunt, etc? How many in your hunting group?

The price is not really a concer and it will be my friend and myself going. Not sure yet on all the details on as far as on the hunt. I would lean towards the float plane idea although everything is still a possibility. We are mostly looking at what gives us are best odds on tagging out.

Get on the ADFG website and start looking at success rates for different areas. The new draw supplement is coming out soon too. (it might be out already) Then start talking to transporters for the areas you are thinking about. Contacting local biologists of the areas too is really helpful.

The price is not really a concer and it will be my friend and myself going. Not sure yet on all the details on as far as on the hunt. I would lean towards the float plane idea although everything is still a possibility. We are mostly looking at what gives us are best odds on tagging out.

Now that I'm thinking about it.. if price is of no concern, Shuster gets used a lot by the "price is of no concern" crowd. It's expensive for a drop hunt, but he drops you in prime areas, and I'd say your chances of killing a big one are pretty good.

http://www.alaskasport.com/outfittedhunt.html

Consider doing a float hunt as well. Doing a drop camp will have you limited to the area where you are camped whereas floating a river will offer you different areas as you float. Packing a full grown Alaskan bull moose is not for the faint of heart and with 2 of you, it could take you several days to get it all back to camp. If you float the right area, you could also include caribou in your hunt as well, maybe even tag on a wolf or black bear. Last moose float hunt I did we were gone for 9 days and never saw another hunter, we took 1 nice moose (could have taken 2 but too warm) and had a great float to the pickup area.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juicer52
Back