Help picking a spotting scope!!!!

WyOpitz

I am looking at getting a spotting scope (my first). Currently I am looking at the Nikon Prostaff, would love to spend the money on a Swaro, Leica, Leupold but don't want to shell out that much cash at this point in time (nor would the wife let me anyways).

My question right now isn't which Brand to go with but the objective power that would best suit my needs. The options available are 16-48 x 65mm (32.8oz) or 20-60 x 82mm (43.2oz). I do plan on taking this in my hunting pack but weight or size isn't much of an issue at this time. I mostly would use it for hunt and stalk in Wyoming and South Dakota. Most of my glassing will be around 1000yds up to 2000yds (my best guess). I'm wondering whether the lower objective power would be sufficient more my use or should I just go for it and get the 20-60x? Thanks for your feedback and any opinions are welcome. :D

WyOpitz,

Check out the scope at the link I provided(who also happens to be a sponsor here ) I've got the angled version of this scope and love it. I don't know what price the Prostaff runs but dollar for dollar I think you'll be impressed with the Theron scope.

http://www.predatoroptics.info/catalog/product.asp?ret_id=1185759&pid=1030248

http://www.theronoptics.com/SAKER_ED_60MM_SPOTTER_HKQ5.php

Good luck in your search.

Don't worry about getting a high power scope. In the price range you're looking at you will be best served with 20-30X magnification. In my opinion 60X is best saved for the high dollar glass that you (and I) wish we could afford.

Last edited:
I have a nikon pro staff 20-60/82 and like it for spotting from the truck long distances about $475 if i remember,but its big and heavy for packing in,,,for packing in i have a nikon ed 50,10-30,,,about $600 if u can find em,,,much smaller better for hiking and very clear,,,really boils down to particular use.

I just purchased the Nikon 16-48 x 65mm. Works great. I had a Barska prior which broke on me the second time I used it. My family and fellow hunters have almost always used Nikon, cost effective and quality.

The only thing I can add is how are you going to be using your glass? If you plan on staring through that thing hours on end I would get very high end glass. Even if it means going cheaper this year and save up. Your eyes will thank you for it.

I'm a big fan of Zen Ray. I got one of their 82mm ED2 scopes and it is unbelievable. You can get them for $1k with a coupon on their website.

I'm starting to think that it is too big to tote around in my backpack though. If they come out with a 65mm scope I will probably swap out to the smaller one.

I know I like my Theron. I bought it this year and have used it a couple of times scouting antelope and I love it. Great price as well.

To StrutNut, I plan on using mostly in the mornings (dusk) maybe for the first 1-2 hours and probably later in the day late afternoon or early evening. Total glassing time of probably 2-3 hours on average.

I am starting to actually lean toward a smaller model and do not think I necessarily need a 60x scope. I do plan on doing a little more backpacking and think I will probably thank myself for that choice later on.
For those of you who use the 16-48x, do you ever wish you had a higher power objective?

I will have to look into pPredator optics, I have never heard of them until this post. Thanks for the information guys, I really appreciate it and know it will help me make a good decision.

WyOpitz, Predator and Theron are the same guy's companies. I can see how you could get confused. Good luck with your search. I haven't used the Nikon scopes so I can't honestly see how they compare but my Theron comes out above the Leoupold Sequoia and an older 20X x60mm Gold Ring that I've used a lot.

I think Pat still has a 10 day return policy on the Therons if you don't like what you get. Check with him, he may not offer that anymore but he did when I bought mine. Needless to say, I did not return them within that time frame.

Currently my scope is in care of a friend who drew a Utah Wasatch archery elk tag. Hopefully he can put it to good use this week.

if your packin any distance i really like my nikon ed-50 strait for that,they may be 15-30 power but they are super light,coupled up with a bog pod tripod w spotting scope adapter they have is my set up.change to v groove top and ya got your shooting platform too.

I'm in about the same situation as you, I have been looking at the Leupold Ventana, the Bushnell ED whatever and the prostaff. I had the opportunity to try out some Theron binoculars last year and was very impressed. I have a cheap higher powered scope but it's worthless above about 45x and from what I have seen most scopes in the under $500 price range are fairly poor at higher power. I plan on getting a 60mm scope and my only hold up on getting the Theron is they have been out of stock for a couple months. I have a little time before I can pick one up anyway but I don't know how long I will be willing to wait.

I have used a Theron and a Nikon XL II. For my eyes, the Theron was much better in all areas.

I was looking at the Nikon Prostaff 16-48x and the Leupold Ventana 15-45x at Cabelas a couple of days ago. I wish they would have there optics counter outside or by a window. Anyways, after looking through both of them, the Nikon seemed to have a slightly crisper image. Honestly, I thought the Redfield Rampage spotting scope had better quality glass than the low-end Leupold spotting scope (probably the same glass but I thought the Rampage was slightly better). The Prostaff was also a few ounces lighter than the Ventana, which appeals to me as I would like to start doing some more backpacking.

I really wish I could see these Therons and compare them head-to-head with the Nikons. There seems to be quite a following with the Theron. I am usually in the mindset that you get what you pay for and the price on the Therons seem a little too good to be true. I may have to take the plunge and order the Therons, worst case scenario...I just sell them to a fellow OYOA member if I don't like them. HA!

For those of you who use the 16-48x, do you ever wish you had a higher power objective?

I just returned from a sheep hunt and we rely a ton on spotters. I found myself going between 40-50 power more than any other. Above 50 you struggle with light and clarity. This is with the spotter we had but I don't think it varies much more on the real expensive ones. The other problem we had was wind. Looking in detail above 50 was almost impossible with the thing moving around. In fact we usually had to go down to 30.

I have the Saker and like it a lot. I recently returned from a Pronghorn hunt where I used the scope quite a bit. It is my opinion that anything above 30ish power your a going to need high end glass to be really clear and bright. Like Lawnboy, I found myself trying to go up to 45x but backing down to 30-35x for the added clarity on the Saker. I think you will probably be doing the same with any of the scopes in your price range. At the budget you are talking I think the Saker performs better than any of the low end Nikon, Leupold, Redfield etc...

I have a 20x60-65 Swaro HD and I have no problems cranking it up to 60 power and seeing animals until right before dark and just before light. I just turn it down to 30-40 power.

That being said I was just on a deer hunt in WY and one guy had the nikon prostaff your talking about and my step dad had just bought a Vortex Viper HD. I would take the Viper HD over the Nikon any day of the week. The eye reliefe on the nikon was half of what the viper was. I think it was a 15-45 power scope. I thought for the price and warrenty its a great deal.

The Saker is a great scope considering the price. Only problem is they sold out really fast when the birding crowd got word. Those guys buy a lot of optics!
I wont be seeing any Sakers in again until after the first of the year. I will be offering a special price on them for OYOA members when they do arrive.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back